Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 10,587 times

Advertisements

I have a sewing machine and fabric, and frankly I don't even know where to begin. I LOVE fashion and I have four kids that I would love to start making outfits for. Does anyone know of a good instructor, a class, set of classes, even at a college that offers good sewing teachings? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 12:09 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,909,578 times
Check out some local quilt shops or sewing machine dealers. I don't know your location nor your machine brand but many dealers offer sewing classes, both garments and quilting.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:05 PM

77 posts, read 137,490 times
At the risk of sounding like an advertisement, let me recommend Ruth's sewing room - Ruth Sewing Room, The place to learn to Sew: Classes, Notions, Patterns, & Fabric

She teaches at a few different places, which are listed on the site. It's a reasonable price, and she is really helpful. I took the basic class & learned a lot. I haven't had time to take the second level, but I intend to.
She's a nice person too.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:11 PM

50,396 posts, read 64,095,870 times
Do you have Joanne Fabrics near you? Around here, they have sewing classes.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:23 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,088,933 times
If all else fails...check out YouTube for tutorials...I love that they have vidoes on EVERYTHING!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:10 AM

371 posts, read 1,102,846 times
I'm starting a Learning to Sew class next Tuesday at Sew Much Fun in Concord. I had signed up for courses through CPCC, but the class got cancelled. Sew Much Fun is $105 for 10.5 total hours of classes.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:17 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,219,557 times
We are fortunate as my other half learned to sew from my mother who learned from her mom and the fact that women all took home economics class when they were in school. However if you don't have that I recommend that you check out the instructables site. They are really good at bringing back the old skills.

Instructables learn to sew.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM

9 posts, read 23,606 times
Hi, I've been sewing for years and love it, and I started at my mom and grandma's elbow. I've never had a class. My recommendation is this, if you already have fabric and a machine: go to the store and find a pattern that you like in the EASY to SEW category. All patterns have detailed instructions, and usually drawings. If you look for sales, you can pick patterns up pretty cheaply. Practice making easy items first to get the feel of the machine, and the flow of how to put something together. THEN, take a class if you want to improve your skills in a certain area, such as setting a zipper.
If you can follow directions and have patience, you can learn to sew without spending a lot of money. Find patterns that have 5 or fewer pieces, even start with an item that isn't clothing, like a bean bag toy or a table runner. Grab fabric in the end of bolt bins at the store (usually a yard or two, priced to sell) so that you won't get too disappointed when you have to start over on something or rip out a seam. You will make mistakes and you want it to be on something that isn't a prom dress or Halloween costume.
Also, utilize your neighborhood fabric and sewing stores. Ask them questions, take your work in if you have to, and write down their suggestions. I've never had a bad conversation that was related to sewing techniques. Most people are happy to help.
You'll need a few supplies, so watch those ads again for a good (not cheap) pair of scissors (the kind that can be resharpened and are used for fabric only, NOTE: HIDE THESE!!!), and you'll also need a decent iron (heat settings and steam in good working condition). Consider having a small pair of scissors for cutting the threads and small clean ups while sewing. This saves your fabric scissors for cutting fabric only.
Realize that sewing takes patience. I can't tell you how many times I've ripped out a seam, but it's always worth the while when the garment is finished and hanging beautifully on the recipient. Don't skip steps (I always did, and it always has failed on me. FINALLY I learned!!). It's a lot of fun, though, and well worth it.

Good luck!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 PM

852 posts, read 2,469,726 times
Great post mspotts and I totally agree with everything you said. It does take patience and one day you'll be in the mood to sew and perhaps the next day you won't. I am currently taking a 3 day break from making a boys shirt! I won't tell you how many times I have removed the collar because it wasn't centered. Have fun sewing - I love it and always have although I must say the photo's of my siblings and I in homemade clothes when we were young were horrendous and my mother who made them thought they were gorgeous.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 23,606 times
Isn't that the truth on the mood thing!!! I go in fits and starts also. I'll sew for days or weeks on end and then be done with it and the machine gathers dust for a while (sometimes up to a year, or at least until Halloween comes around!).

My grandma worked in alterations for many years. I sure wish I had those skills sometimes, but it's hard to do on your own clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte