Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 05:59 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,514,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINS View Post
WRONG! Professional courtesy is not just for police officers. I am retired from NY and still living in this hell hole. When I was on the job I extended professional couresy to nurses, doctors, clergy, police officers, correction officers and firemen. These are the people that do the grunt work so people like you can rest your head safely at night. These are the people that work all night long while you are snug in your bed. These are the people do a job that is either life or death or the help you from dying.

I personally would NEVER write another cop a ticket whether he was still working or retired. That also goes for the other professions I stated. Just like I said an officer uses his most powerful weapon all the time. That weapon is his discretion. An officer does not write every car he pulls over a ticket because of that power.

However, when I do get pulled over or have pulled over the above professions I and they have always been courteous. No one has ever had an attitude as if they were above the law. That being said professional courtesy does and should exist for the work that these people do. I for one salute these professions and they will always have my back just as our boys overseas will.

In closing any cop that writes another should have their head examined as we are all in the trenches together.
Good for you. If you work at McDonalds, you get free burgers. If you work at Wal-Mart, you get a discount. Being an LEO is a thankless career that pays nothing for what they do. If they speed, then they get off, or should. Thats their career discount. Cops must be able to use discretion, if not it would be a world by the book all the time. I am no cop, wouldnt want to be one. I still think they have and should have some benifits for the dirty and wonderfull job they do. I get tired of people ragging on police. I recently went on a ride along with an officer that I know. It was a life changing experience that I will never forget and it was his average day. People that want to ride cops about their judgements should go on a night out with an officer. I would gaurentee that they will have an entirely different tude about police work when they are done.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:06 PM

396 posts, read 1,434,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
Good for you. If you work at McDonalds, you get free burgers. If you work at Wal-Mart, you get a discount. Being an LEO is a thankless career that pays nothing for what they do. If they speed, then they get off, or should. Thats their career discount. Cops must be able to use discretion, if not it would be a world by the book all the time. I am no cop, wouldnt want to be one. I still think they have and should have some benifits for the dirty and wonderfull job they do. I get tired of people ragging on police. I recently went on a ride along with an officer that I know. It was a life changing experience that I will never forget and it was his average day. People that want to ride cops about their judgements should go on a night out with an officer. I would gaurentee that they will have an entirely different tude about police work when they are done.
I agree with you to a large degree, but the only thing that bothers me is that there are speed limits for a reason-- you may be a FANTASTIC driver, but traveling too fast reduces your own response time to the idiot who pulls out in front of you, or the deer that jumps out, etc. I'm all for helping out law enforcement, but allowing someone to speed and put their own life and the lives of others at risk is a bit different than getting a discount if you work at McDonalds.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:34 PM

876 posts, read 3,792,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
I agree with you to a large degree, but the only thing that bothers me is that there are speed limits for a reason-- you may be a FANTASTIC driver, but traveling too fast reduces your own response time to the idiot who pulls out in front of you, or the deer that jumps out, etc. I'm all for helping out law enforcement, but allowing someone to speed and put their own life and the lives of others at risk is a bit different than getting a discount if you work at McDonalds.
I can see where you are coming from. I feel that if you either work in a profession that saves lives, can save lives, or you put your life on the line for others, then you deserve a break in life.

Don't get me wrong, if someone uses that to their advantage, different story, but for the most part, thats not the case.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:45 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,514,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
Sure, I agree with that. Perhaps I should have been a little more clear on that. I dont think a Cop should get a summons for a minor traffic violation. DUI and that kind of thing is a different story. DUI / DWI is an issue that places public in danger on a higher scale. It is obviously much more severe. Officers are smart, they know when a situation is safe. If they happen to be speeding or not use their signal, then who cares? They drive thousands of miles every month, there bound to not signal or loose track of their speed from time to time.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:52 PM

73 posts, read 82,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINS View Post
These are the people that do the grunt work so people like you can rest your head safely at night. These are the people that work all night long while you are snug in your bed. These are the people do a job that is either life or death or the help you from dying.
I am one of the people who pays your salary and I am under the misunderstanding that laws should be applied equally.

How well are you serving and protecting when you allow your "buddies" to create unsafe situations on our roads? You call it discretion. I call it abuse of office.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:05 PM

431 posts, read 1,668,172 times
I was speeding. It is 45 mph on Rea Rd. I wasnt speeding by much, especially considering the day and time, but I was travelling over 45mph. My interaction with the Sheriff was demeaning. Lots of threats and lectures is all I will say. I can honestly tell you that I have only been pulled over once prior in my life, and it was in NYC. I am not an arrogant person, I did not provoke this behavior with the " Hey, Im on the job" attitude. Trust me on this one, this particular guy holds a grudge. In the end the summons was not written, but I would have rather been given it than listen to the sermon. Now, lastly, I would still stop my personal car on any given day and help that Sheriff out If he was ever in need. Personally the more I think about it, the more I believe he had to be a rookie, which still is no excuse.

Oh well, harped on this way too long, sorry.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 PM

396 posts, read 1,434,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
I was speeding. It is 45 mph on Rea Rd. I wasnt speeding by much, especially considering the day and time, but I was travelling over 45mph. My interaction with the Sheriff was demeaning. Lots of threats and lectures is all I will say. I can honestly tell you that I have only been pulled over once prior in my life, and it was in NYC. I am not an arrogant person, I did not provoke this behavior with the " Hey, Im on the job" attitude. Trust me on this one, this particular guy holds a grudge. In the end the summons was not written, but I would have rather been given it than listen to the sermon. Now, lastly, I would still stop my personal car on any given day and help that Sheriff out If he was ever in need. Personally the more I think about it, the more I believe he had to be a rookie, which still is no excuse.

Oh well, harped on this way too long, sorry.
I'm sorry about that. No one should be made to feel "demeaned," especially by someone who holds authority in some way. It's good to know that there are former police officers and others out there who are benevolent and will help others they spot in need.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM

73 posts, read 82,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
My interaction with the Sheriff was demeaning. Lots of threats and lectures is all I will say.
That kind of attitude is baloney. I hope that this never happens to you again but if it does ask for the officer's name and badge #. 9 times out of 10 his attitude will change very quickly.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:44 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
So it would be safe to assume that it is professional courtesy to allow one of these public service members who is speeding and kills another person to get off with no punishment??? Yes equality, isn't it great. Just because one use to be a nurse but now works in the business office, guess we can't get a discount or "professional courtesy" because now I work 7-3 billing people instead of helping them, get real.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:59 PM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
I think the law should be applied equally as well....usually officers don't say much if you get pulled over unless you say something first. His name is right on his shirt...I just spoke to Union County the other day and it is clearly on their name tag. If you felt he was rude to you, then why don't you report it to someone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: