Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:29 PM

38 posts, read 152,364 times

Advertisements

Quick story...
I stopped a new Caddy one night at 3 am. The car had two young male blacks in the front seat and 2 female blacks in the rear. All were about 16 YOA.
When I approached the car I said "Hello, can I see your license and registration? As the young man was giving me the info I asked "Do you know why I stopped you?"
The young boy said "Yes, because I went through a stop sign."
I then asked him can I ask you a few questions to which the boy replied yes.

I then asked him whose car it was to which he said his dad's car. I then told him he shouldn't be driving the car this late out of his classification.
I then asked him how his dad would feel if he went home and said Officer K^$#^ gave me a ticket for running a stop sign. The boy replied...My dad would be so mad.
I then asked him how would your dad feel if you went home and told him you got a ticket for running a stop sign and for not wearing a seat belt. The boy replied Oh my God he would be so upset with me.
I then asked if I could just ask him one more question. The boy said yes. I then asked him how would your dad feel if I went to your house and told your father his son and friends were killed in a car accident because they ran a stop sign and were not wearing their seat belts.
Without saying a word all children turned and buckled their belts. I then told then to take the car right home. The boy said "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GIVE ME A TICKET?" I said why should I give you a ticket when you got something much more valuable out of it.

I remember that story like it was yesterday and it is a true story.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:35 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,514,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyClifton View Post
I have been given warnings when I deserved a ticket and I've also been pulled over for no reason other than for the officer to ask "Where you goin', boy?" In either case I'd rather that the officer just did his job.
Ummmmmm..... sounds to me like he was investigating.... That is his Job

Old 05-16-2007, 07:44 PM

[quote=SuperchargedSS;727192]To the specific poster who knows who I am talking about; You are THAT guy, the one all the co-workers at work say "I don't trust him."

Law Enforcement is a band of brothers. We don't arrest our own unless its deemed unavoidable. It's JUST THE WAY IT IS. Nothing you can do will change it, ever.

QUOTE]

I agree 100%. "that person" needs a real adjustment.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:49 PM

73 posts, read 82,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
Ummmmmm..... sounds to me like he was investigating.... That is his Job
Sounds to me like he was profiling. That is illegal.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:21 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINS View Post
Quick story...
I stopped a new Caddy one night at 3 am. The car had two young male blacks in the front seat and 2 female blacks in the rear. All were about 16 YOA.
When I approached the car I said "Hello, can I see your license and registration? As the young man was giving me the info I asked "Do you know why I stopped you?"
The young boy said "Yes, because I went through a stop sign."
I then asked him can I ask you a few questions to which the boy replied yes.

I then asked him whose car it was to which he said his dad's car. I then told him he shouldn't be driving the car this late out of his classification.
I then asked him how his dad would feel if he went home and said Officer K^$#^ gave me a ticket for running a stop sign. The boy replied...My dad would be so mad.
I then asked him how would your dad feel if you went home and told him you got a ticket for running a stop sign and for not wearing a seat belt. The boy replied Oh my God he would be so upset with me.
I then asked if I could just ask him one more question. The boy said yes. I then asked him how would your dad feel if I went to your house and told your father his son and friends were killed in a car accident because they ran a stop sign and were not wearing their seat belts.
Without saying a word all children turned and buckled their belts. I then told then to take the car right home. The boy said "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GIVE ME A TICKET?" I said why should I give you a ticket when you got something much more valuable out of it.

I remember that story like it was yesterday and it is a true story.
Great story! Although I think it's going to get glossed over...

Old 05-16-2007, 09:30 PM

38 posts, read 152,364 times
Quote:
First off this is part of the problem in America. Any time something happens it is because of this reason or that reason.

First off, profiling is done every single day in life. People judge each other based on names without seeing them ie. resume. People willjudge people based on the way the look, act and speak without even knowing them.

In police work profiling is a must. I am not saying to pick on people because of a nationality. However, if you are working a drug and gun area like I use to you know as a cop what to look for. You are not going to go against your instincts and training because it is "profiling". Maybe my definition of profiling and yours are different. All I know is if I work an all black area (which I did) and I see a white guy in a nice car cruising the area I know he doesn;t belong there. I also know he is either lost, looking for a "date" or buying drugs. If that is profiling then I am guilty and glad I am not working in that line of work anymore.

The left wingers make it tough for a good cop to do his job. Take the handcuffs off the cops. Sorry for the rant.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:26 AM

146 posts, read 638,414 times
Quote:
Tony sounds like an IAB rat who could never do the job on the street.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
as a matter of fact, it is NOT illegal. Only if it is baised on racial bias.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,200 times
What does one’s profession have to do with an officer employing the law equally?

A guy I know was hot rodding out in Selden. He was pulled over for speeding, which he was. He told the officer that his father was “on the job” in NYC. The officer told him “if I catch you again, I’m going to write you up.”

Two weeks later he was speeding again and got caught by the same officer. He wrote him a ticket. Cut to the court room as he fights the ticket. He asks tells the judge the ticket should be dismissed because the officer did not employ the law properly. The judge asks why. He tells the judge the first time he was caught, his was let off because he told the officer that his father was “on the job” in NYC, in a cynical tone of voice. The judge asked, “Is your father a police officer in the city?” He said “No, my dad’s a plumber. But what’s the difference if he’s a plumber or a cop?” The judge said “Case dismissed”.

I know a lot of cops who speed because they are cops. And not just speed like 60 in 50. Try like 90 in a 65, because they know if they get pulled over, they are not going to get a ticket. Would the officers out there write up a fellow cop who was doing this?

I understand discretion, as pointed out in the Cadillac story. But will the average citizen get the same break doing 72 in a 60 as would a cop doing the same?

In regards to professional courtesy, if a stock broker gives another one a tip based on inside information, is that the same? What is the line for professional courtesy? Before you say that they are not the same, a ticket to the average person costs points on their license, the fine and higher insurance rates for over 3 years. That’s more that a free apple or slice of pizza, but it’s an expense the officer doesn’t have to worry about. What about people who work at places where they don’t/can’t discounts or use the services their employer sells? Example – companies that sell services to other companies, like an advertising firm, an electrician, a janitor or ditch digger. Not being argumentative, just looking for justification.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:39 PM

70 posts, read 212,822 times
This was quite a light post about 6 pages ago...what is everyone complaining about. Could I be a police officer....NO....would I want my husband to be....NO....my mother worked 911 dispatch and the hell she "heard" was enough to drive her to crying. Crime is so easy to look at on TV and we all say...."well, heck.....maybe police need to clean up that area..." "what is law enforcement doing....for us''....there's another wreck..."where are the police?" Someone is driving drunk..."let the police handle it..." well, you were at the bar with them...take their keys..

How much can police officers handle...yes..they are trained and equipped, but jeez..I just spelled out probably 15% of what they deal with daily, and now they worry about scum like Demeatrius or however you spell it....

Who really gives a rats rearend if a policeman pulls another over and lets him go home...actually, it's none of our business....police can determine who is worthwhile....just as others do in their jobs....As for safety...if a cop pulls over an drunk cop...then he should transport him home and get the car towed.....whatever....if the officer is worth it..... Until you join law enforcement and put your neck out....just hush....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: