Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 AM

171 posts, read 357,468 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Charlotte area, want to start investigating private schools in the area.

We are currently considering Mooresville/Huntersville area, and then south of town, out around Waxhaw/Weddington.

However, I prefer to hear about any great private schools in the area, not just in those areas. We may move elsewhere in the area if the school dictates it.

Oh, grades needed are K through 12. I realize that likely no school provides K-12 completely, so I would like to hear thoughts regarding all the schools worth considering.

Tuition is not a factor. We'll be able to afford it.

Religion isn't necessarily a factor. As long as the focus on religion isn't extreme. For instance, I'm not Catholic, but I went to a Catholic high school. We had a religion class, and occasionally attended Mass, but it wasn't an overload.

Our family is not religious, but we respect religion and others who have their beliefs, and have no problem sending our children to a religious school so long as there isn't an over-emphasis of religion, such as I was lucky enough to experience when I was in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
From a thread a few days ago.
Each of these is K through 12.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...tte-metro.html

Old 01-10-2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks!

Wondering though, which are considered more liberal of the choices? Having been raised in the south, and now having lived 13 years in California, I'm sick of liberal nonsense.

My firstborn in going to public school kindergarten here in California (a very good school, as far as its rating), and the first American hero she was introduced to in kindergarten was Cesar Chavez. I was like, wtf? He was on page 7, and the lesson about him was three pages long. The lesson had pictures of a crying child picking berries in the field, up through an angry man protesting with other protesters in front of the Capitol. I mean, this is kindergarten. The indoctrination starts that early.

Don't worry, Abraham Lincoln and George Washington are represented in the workbook, on page 87 and they share a page, only one page.

Needless to say, I'm not pleased with that, and I want a good, conservative school for my kids. We are getting out of California for a variety of reasons and returning to the south.

Any way to rate the four on a scale of more conservative to less conservative?

Last edited by diggums; 01-10-2010 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 10:38 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
Thanks!

Wondering though, which are considered more liberal of the choices? Having been raised in the south, and now having lived 13 years in California, I'm sick of liberal nonsense. I want a good, conservative school for my kids.

Any way to rate the four on a scale of more conservative to less conservative?
Well, Charlotte Christian would be the most conservative, but certainly not in a bad way or oppressively. Of the big 4, I believe Country Day to be the most "liberal" - but again, not in a bad way or overly so.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:50 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
I hope you realize you are moving to a Blue county and the schools here including the private schools, especially the private schools, are going to reflect this. This county not only voted for Obama in the last election, but even voted against it's own Mayor who was running for governor to vote for a the democrat candidate who also is the first woman to hold the position.

If you want conservative, you might want to consider something like Camden military academy.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I hope you realize you are moving to a Blue county and the schools here including the private schools, especially the private schools, are going to reflect this. This county not only voted for Obama in the last election, but even voted against it's own Mayor who was running for governor to vote for a the democrat candidate who also is the first woman to hold the position.

If you want conservative, you might want to consider something like Camden military academy.
We'll be moving from California. Your liberals are probably like center-right-conservatives compared to the raving nonsensical liberals we have out here. Really, not too worried about it.

I also think many of the recent elections are a fluke. The political pendulum is going to swing a lot harder to the right than it did to the left, based upon what is going on in Washington.

And I don't agree that private schools tend to be more liberal than the public schools. Makes no sense at all if you consider conventional wisdom on the subject.

Last edited by diggums; 01-10-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 11:39 AM

445 posts, read 1,166,622 times
I would hardly describe Charlotte as a liberal hotbed.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:59 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
I also think many of the recent elections are a fluke. The political pendulum is going to swing a lot harder to the right than it did to the left, based upon what is going on in Washington.

And I don't agree that private schools tend to be more liberal than the public schools. Makes no sense at all if you consider conventional wisdom on the subject.
Just trying to help as someone who has lived here for 30+ years. If you already know everything about Mecklenburg, i am not sure why you are asking for opinion. On the election thing, this county also went for John Kerry when almost nobody else in the South did. I agree the Democrats are a disappointment, but the wing nuts on the other side are not the answer either. You are actually leaving a state with one of the few GOPers with a little sense, certainly better than the corrupt democrats we have had running NC.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:32 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
If you consider boarding, look at Virginia Episcopal School in Lynchburg. Traditionally, lots of Charlotte kids there.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,960 times
IMO the best private schools in CLT are loacated in South Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte