Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 04:35 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times

Advertisements

Thanks - sorry for the late reply, I guess I need more lunch hours. I looked at Shiloh's website, it indicated they have quite a few mobile classrooms.
Any opinion about that. I've heard all bad about mobile classrooms in CMS.
What's your take. Some teachers said they feel unsafe in them.

We are open to moving and Union CO is one of the options. Hopefully, DH will have a job soon and we can decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 05:53 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
"Learning cottages" are going to be the norm with most schools as the area tries to accomodate the rapidly growing population. Honestly, they seem to be more of a concern to parents than the students.

I'm sure Marvin will post on this ... I've seen her comment on the subject before and she was able to put it quite eloquently ... something like her family chooses to bloom where they are planted. It was quite pretty coming from her and really, many families have noted that the cottages don't seem to negatively impact the children.

SL

Old 05-26-2007, 07:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
"Learning cottages" are going to be the norm with most schools as the area tries to accomodate the rapidly growing population. Honestly, they seem to be more of a concern to parents than the students.

I'm sure Marvin will post on this ... I've seen her comment on the subject before and she was able to put it quite eloquently ... something like her family chooses to bloom where they are planted. It was quite pretty coming from her and really, many families have noted that the cottages don't seem to negatively impact the children.

SL
LOL...I guess someone IS paying attention when I wax poetic! I think maybe you are referring to this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...districts.html

From a student's point of view, my students have not minded the modular classrooms at all. In the very over-crowded schools that we have been a part of, the crowded parts of the schools were the core-common areas (cafeterias, locker areas, etc.) All of the modulars have been arranged with ramps and wired with cable/phone connections to the main building.

Many of my extended family members are teachers. I do know that security cameras are directed at the modular units. When my student was at Marvin Elementary, they achieved an award as a State Super Safe School, meaning that they met some extensive criteria for achieving a safe campus. Since then, I know many of the other schools have also achieved this status. Schools Recognized as "Super Safe"
Union County has a director who oversees the safety of each campus.

Particularly, this time of the year, it seems that older kids seem to get a real kick out of pranking with bogus bomb threats. There was an article in today's Monroe Enquirer Journal that Piedmont High had three bomb threats last week. The kids who called in the bogus bomb threats have been identified and charged with FELONIES. Union County is taking a very hard line with these threats. I, for one, say HURRAY! Nothing makes me madder than to waste so much time and taxpayer money (running police and fire to sweep the school, standing teachers and kids outside for hours, etc.), just so some punk kid gets out of class. Good for superintendent Dr. Ed Davis for making an example!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:47 PM

172 posts, read 584,357 times
All of my grandchildren have mobile classrooms and seem to like them. Three of them are in a year round school and the others are in a traditional school. The year round school seems to work very well. The only problem is this year 2 of them are still in elementary (year round) and one in middle school (traditional). That may present some scheduling nightmares as far as vacations, etc. go. My daughters are both very pleased with the education their children are receiving.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:41 PM

17 posts, read 69,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Here would be a typical calendar for Union County Year-Round Schools. Instead of a long summer, there are periods of intersession (breaks where extra tutoring would be available). Working parents find this calendar easier to work with. Shiloh Elementary is a popular option.

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/communications/pdfs/calendars/CalendarList-YR-2007-08.pdf (broken link)
I will be moving to Union County this summer from another state, so I don't know much about the area. Do any of the daycare centers provide before & after school care? Where I live all the parents work so the daycare centers transport to & from school and offer care all day when school is closed. Do you know of any that provide this for Shiloh elementary? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte