Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:25 PM

4 posts, read 7,716 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I currently live in NYC, and I am researching various areas of the country for possible re-location. I'm looking into Charlotte, and I'd love to hear your impressions of the City. I'm 29 and single at the moment. I work in the legal field.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 12:31 PM

50 posts, read 93,528 times
Charlotte is not a city the way NY is. The whole city is like 8 blocks square and is Closed on weekends. Ok maybe not totally closed but there is NO shopping like there is in NY. There are plenty of restaurants. I myself am still in a culture shock. I do love the weather here. But the traffic is as bad if not worse than NY. The major highway Rt 77 is only 2 lanes and in the year and 1/2 that we have been here they have CLOSED it at least 5 times due to accidents. They would Never close a highway in NY. Thing sure are different here. And the cost of living is NOT cheeper. Gas is more, food is just as expensive, car payments are the same. Taxes are cheeper but...you pay a yearly car tax. Good luck on your research.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:37 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillann View Post
Charlotte is not a city the way NY is. The whole city is like 8 blocks square and is Closed on weekends. Ok maybe not totally closed but there is NO shopping like there is in NY. There are plenty of restaurants. I myself am still in a culture shock. I do love the weather here. But the traffic is as bad if not worse than NY. The major highway Rt 77 is only 2 lanes and in the year and 1/2 that we have been here they have CLOSED it at least 5 times due to accidents. They would Never close a highway in NY. Thing sure are different here. And the cost of living is NOT cheeper. Gas is more, food is just as expensive, car payments are the same. Taxes are cheeper but...you pay a yearly car tax. Good luck on your research.
Oh boy, can't wait until Kmway responds to THIS post

To the original poster, I would suggest you search out job opportunities first, as the job market here is tight and competitive. Then, if that looks feasible, come for a visit and see things for yourself. This is a lovely city, with very friendly people. No one place is 100% great for everyone, but the vast majority of folks here find Charlotte to be a nice fit

Old 05-30-2007, 02:14 PM

107 posts, read 121,186 times
good advice... check the job market FIRST!! It's a super tight and competitive marketplace here... THAT is the best advice I've read on here so far. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,539 times
Wow, Jillann what a reply. I don't think there is ANY city like NYC. Surely you didn't expect to find the diversity that over 7 million people bring to an area like NYC when Charlotte's entire MSA is only 2 million.
Charlotte is finally gaining traction in the Uptown living category with the EpiCenter Development bringing much needed shopping venues and entertainment.
By the way, there is no Rt 77 (it's I-77) and it has not "closed" in the 30 years that I've lived here, unless you mean closing a lane when there is a bad accident or resurfacing which begs the question "what do they do in NY".

Old 05-30-2007, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,140 times
Default Wnat some infromation about Myers pack and new homes.

I am planning to re-locate to Charlotte, NC, I came to know Myers park area is close to Downtown, and also has good school district.
Can any one give me some more in-sight into this?

Basically I want to see how much a condo(2 bedroom/2 bath) and how is this appreciating over time?
And also if you know, what will be the rent of such condo, in case if I need to rent for a while.

Thanks and greaty apprciate your inputs in these.
Regards.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:30 AM

19 posts, read 54,429 times
Thumbs up Charlotte-Esther

Morning!
I moved to Charlotte two years ago from Indiana and have LOVED every second of my decision and choice. It is very very different, and some parts take getting used to, but overall and for the most part there isnt much I am unhappy with.
I am an elementary art teacher and work with low-income kids. It is very rewarding but also very draining. Charlotte has a huge number of things an individual/single can get involved in from A-Z just depending on what you enjoy and want to do. Plenty of shopping and activities for ALL ages and family units. I am single also. There are many schools/colleges/Universities here as well if you want to further your education. There are many wonderful places to visit as well from the ocean to the mountains.
I live on the north side close to Concord. Good Luck

Old 05-31-2007, 06:32 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Like hcharlotte posted, there is NO city like New York City, so there's no use comparing it to any other city (and I don't think that's what the OP intended). But, if you're interested in moving to a city that is growing in a very positive way, in an area of the country that offers great weather, lots of diversity, friendly people and lots of promise (JMO), then Charlotte is the city for you! It's a very family friendly city. I am married with children, so I can't comment on the singles' scene.
Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:30 AM

107 posts, read 121,186 times
singles scene is great! I am single, live close to Uptown and love it. Lots to do, lots of young professionals who are centered and well-educated. NYC and CLT are like apples and oranges. you should come visit and see for yourself. I love it here.
Best of luck!

Old 05-31-2007, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 11,663 times
Hi, there! I just moved here last July from Florida and you will absolutely love it here! Lots of people your age, and I'm a legal secretary myself and work in uptown. I live in Indian Trail, just south of Matthews, but you may do better getting an appartment uptown. There are lots to choose from. The weather is gorgeous most of the time and not as cold as NYC! There are LOTS of New Yorkers moving here....also Floridians and Californians! Go on line to Charlotte.com and check things out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte