Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 AM

73 posts, read 247,291 times

Advertisements

My wife and I used to live near Birkdale Village in Huntersville, which is one reason that we bought in Berewick. Papas Properties master planned both communities and we are hoping that Berewick resembles Birkdale after the commercial section and park is complete. Does anyone have any insight on which stores are expected to be put in Berewick in the next couple of years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 AM

255 posts, read 885,744 times
Guns n Amo Depot?

I am totally kidding.

We prob won't find that info out for a while.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:11 PM

49 posts, read 175,985 times
The only thing I've heard so far has been Bloom which will be a high-quality grocery store. I believe they've put a "coming soon" sign by Dixie River Rd.

Personally, once I heard Papas Properties was overseeing the whole Berewick Village development, I was convinced Berewick would be a great investment and signed a contract. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:16 PM

255 posts, read 885,744 times
Yeah I think Bloom is a reskin on Food Lion.

Bloom = the "new" Food Lion I think.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:05 PM

49 posts, read 175,985 times
That is true, but after checking wikipedia, it looks like Food Lion is trying to distance their name from the Bloom brand because they are smart enough to know the Food Lion image is a bit weak these days. I have never been a fan of the company myself, but the fact that they are trying to distance themselves so much so that they are willing to admit their lacking brand makes me believe that they will go over the top to make Bloom stand out as an up-scale store. God knows the people of Charlotte are superficial enough to feed the demand for such stores! Fine with me as long as the value of the neighborhood benefits!

...at least I hope...

Old 05-30-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
That is true, but after checking wikipedia, it looks like Food Lion is trying to distance their name from the Bloom brand because they are smart enough to know the Food Lion image is a bit weak these days. I have never been a fan of the company myself, but the fact that they are trying to distance themselves so much so that they are willing to admit their lacking brand makes me believe that they will go over the top to make Bloom stand out as an up-scale store. God knows the people of Charlotte are superficial enough to feed the demand for such stores! Fine with me as long as the value of the neighborhood benefits!

...at least I hope...
I agree completely

Old 05-30-2007, 04:13 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,265,505 times
The shopping center containing the Bloom store isn't part of Berewick. It's close by but just north of I-485. They'll need to move the Grier House (built about 1828) before starting it. I understand that Byrum's General Store (built about 1890) and the volunteer fire station weren't part of the deal and will remain.

Berewick will build a separate shopping center in its "Town Center" next to Steele Creek Road. This center has been delayed because the approved road realignments don't allow the access they need. Peter Pappas has backed off and the whole road realignment/town center is being redone.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
The shopping center containing the Bloom store isn't part of Berewick. It's close by but just north of I-485. They'll need to move the Grier House (built about 1828) before starting it. I understand that Byrum's General Store (built about 1890) and the volunteer fire station weren't part of the deal and will remain.

Berewick will build a separate shopping center in its "Town Center" next to Steele Creek Road. This center has been delayed because the approved road realignments don't allow the access they need. Peter Pappas has backed off and the whole road realignment/town center is being redone.
What do you mean by he backed off? They are still building the town center, right? Also, I saw in the Charlotte Observer that Byrums is going out of business because a developer bought him and the property around him out.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:19 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,265,505 times
The plan was to realign Shopton Road West and Dixie River Road so each met Steele Creek Road at a 90 degree angle, eliminating the bad intersection at the curve. The Town Center will go between those two roads. I was talking with someone with the city engineering department a couple of weeks ago about how things were going. As I understand it, the exit from the shopping center onto the new Shopton Road West would be right in/right out only. Peter Pappas didn't like this and is rethinking the design. It'll get built, but it's behind schedule. Here's the alignment that was approved by the MPO, but it may change now.

I heard someone with the VFD saying that when the Byrum family sold the land for the shopping center north of I-485, the fire station and store weren't part of the deal. It looks like they'll stay where they are for a while. The store probably won't be selling fishing tackle though as the Byrums likely are closing their business.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
The plan was to realign Shopton Road West and Dixie River Road so each met Steele Creek Road at a 90 degree angle, eliminating the bad intersection at the curve. The Town Center will go between those two roads. I was talking with someone with the city engineering department a couple of weeks ago about how things were going. As I understand it, the exit from the shopping center onto the new Shopton Road West would be right in/right out only. Peter Pappas didn't like this and is rethinking the design. It'll get built, but it's behind schedule. Here's the alignment that was approved by the MPO, but it may change now.

I heard someone with the VFD saying that when the Byrum family sold the land for the shopping center north of I-485, the fire station and store weren't part of the deal. It looks like they'll stay where they are for a while. The store probably won't be selling fishing tackle though as the Byrums likely are closing their business.
Thanks for clearing that up. I hope they get on with the town center soon. It will be nice to have things a little closer and not have to worry about Arsley crime or the distance to Rivergate (like it is so far....we are spoiled).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte