Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 36,307 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer advice on the desireability of living on Norman versus Murray? Climate? Taxes? Lake congestion? Convenience? Traffic? Bugs/insect control?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 04:35 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leevester View Post
Can anyone offer advice on the desireability of living on Norman versus Murray? Climate? Taxes? Lake congestion? Convenience? Traffic? Bugs/insect control?
Thanks!
The only thing I can comment on are on Lake Norman, since we originally wanted to move to Mooresville, but have decided against it.
Murray I have no clue about, but someone else might be able to help.
Climate is mild, depends on where you are coming from. Hot long summers at times (not hot for us having lived in FL), and mild, pleasant winters with the occasional icestorm, and a wee bit of snow coating.
Convinience....I know Mooresville in combination with the surrounding areas are self sufficient, and self substained.
Anything your little heart desires is right there
Lake congestion and traffic....major concern these days, and at times a complete nightmare (read some posts on this forum, and you will see, what people have to deal with concerning the traffic)
I don't really see anything changing about it either, due to the presence and layout of that lake. They really don't have much choice to widen or adding roads....
Taxes ( Iredell county), are some of the lowest in NC. A realtor will be able to give you a sheet, with the whole printout of the taxes in each and every county and city.
Bugs/ insect control....wow...I am sure, they control it somehow, just like everywhere else. Yes, skeeters are there, but again, it all depends on what you are used to. We have a lot of them up here in PA, but, they were way more aggressive down in FL. I guess it's all relative.....
Now someone has to step in, and fill you (and me) in on that Murray situation.....lol.
Good luck!

Last edited by MB2; 06-03-2007 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 06-03-2007, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 36,307 times
Thanks for your comments.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:16 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,043 times
You may want to search the Charlotte and the SC forums for opinions on each lake.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 24,093 times
Originally from near upper Lake Norman and having a fishing refuge (lot) on Lake Murray, I prefer Murray especially near Lexington. Used to love Lake Norman area, but the traffic reminds me more of my wife's home in Jersey. Just yesterday, I spent 15 minutes 0.8 miles approaching and crossing 21 to get on 77 near Davidson. Murray in the Lexington and Irmo areas are similar to Norman 15 years ago with a bigger lake. Top rated public school system in sc is Lexington. Huge area to expand to west. Avg. 2-3 degrees hotter. Columbia is nearby so most amenities are nearby if not in Lexington, but Columbia is spreading along major interstates which do not parallel Murray as 77 does Norman. Murray should be safe from such excessive sprawl at least Mid and upriver portions for years to come.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 11,263 times
I'm also looking into Lake Murray. I like most everything I've seen or read. However, a friend expressed concern about the water quality. I've read a few environmental reports and it seems fine. Maybe he is just concerned about the water color - is it blue or brownish?

Also - is there a preferred area on Lake Murray that you'd suggest? I've been looking at properties near Chapin. Also looking at some properties on the south side of the lake.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:17 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
The only thing I can comment on are on Lake Norman, since we originally wanted to move to Mooresville, but have decided against it.
Murray I have no clue about, but someone else might be able to help.
Climate is mild, depends on where you are coming from. Hot long summers at times (not hot for us having lived in FL), and mild, pleasant winters with the occasional icestorm, and a wee bit of snow coating.

Actually a wee bit more than a sprinkling for the last 2 winters, and enough to close Iredell Statesville (Lake Norman) schhools for a full week
Convinience....I know Mooresville in combination with the surrounding areas are self sufficient, and self substained.
Anything your little heart desires is right there
Lake congestion and traffic....major concern these days, and at times a complete nightmare (read some posts on this forum, and you will see, what people have to deal with concerning the traffic)

I don't really see anything changing about it either, due to the presence and layout of that lake. They really don't have much choice to widen or adding roads....

Whether you see the traffic as a major concern really depends on what you're comparing it with, how much living around Lake Norman is worth to you, whether you have to travel at peak times and how far you have to travel.

Brawley School Road is now being widened to 4 lanes (including widening of Williamson Rd at the junction with Brawley)at intersections with Williamson etc) from I77 NEW BRAWLEY JUNCTION between J33 and J36 about 5miles down Brawley towards The Point.I believe that they are widening the I77 to 6 lanes bewteen J33 and J36.

Taxes ( Iredell county), are some of the lowest in NC. A realtor will be able to give you a sheet, with the whole printout of the taxes in each and every county and city.
Yes and they just did the revals and fairly small changes.Ours went down by 1.5%.Rate is around $50 per $10,000 tax value.

The Southern end of the Lake is in Mecklenburg County, where taxes are much higher and schools somewhat OK in places. They are prone to changing the zoning.

There's also places like Denver on the West side of the Lake.
Bugs/ insect control....wow...I am sure, they control it somehow, just like everywhere else. Yes, skeeters are there, but again, it all depends on what you are used to. We have a lot of them up here in PA, but, they were way more aggressive down in FL. I guess it's all relative.....
Now someone has to step in, and fill you (and me) in on that Murray situation.....lol.
Good luck!
Forgot to mention some great schools around Mooresville -both Iredell Statesville and Mooresville city schools.Lake Norman feeds into IS schools.

There are homes in the Lake Norman area for almost every price range, depending on budget and amenities etc.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,343 times
I boated both lakes many times and Lake Murray is definitely better than Lake Norman in terms of the quality of the lake. Murray is larger, deeper, much less developed, and IMO cleaner than Lake Norman. It's also NOT a Duke Energy managed lake which means that every square inch of shoreline hasn't been sold off for McMansion development like Norman.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 PM

72 posts, read 188,282 times
If I didn't have to worry about a job, my children's education, or living near Columbia, SC (which unless you are a big SC Gamecocks fan, you don't have a lot of entertainment options), then strictly speaking, Lake Murray is a superior boating and fishing lake.

However, outside of the actual physical lake itself and traffic congestion, Lake Norman is superior by far. Better schools, better climate, much better amenities. At least in my opinion. But as a retirement home, maybe Murray would be an option.

With Lake Norman you have access to a great lake (even if busy) plus you can drive into Charlotte for all the city amenities. And comparing Columbia to Charlotte would be like comparing Charlotte to Chicago. No comparison.

But outside of this criteria, I am happy to live on Lake Norman and deal with the mild congestion. I live on the northwest side of the lake which is by no means over-crowded...

Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 24,093 times
Default clearest water and good schools reply to dsgrig

In response to "water quality" at Lake Murray, in the main lake the water is clear 90% of time and clears further the closer to the dam. I tangled up an eight lb bass in about 10 ft of water on July 4, '09 ( the busiest boat day of year) and could still see white belly of bass easily. Had my brother-in-law to keep line straight while I plunged into water and could easily see how to untangle line from brush and then brought fish up to boat to measure, weigh, picture, and release.

The clear water is great with swimbaits and dropshots but requires keeping distance from fish. Clearness is helped by 140 ft depth lower 5 miles of river through the big waters. Simply go uplake for more tinted water (the midlake area is similar to Norman but with 1/2 or less development

Again, Lexington has great schools, higher in quality than those near Norman, but I doubt the other counties in area are as good. Lots of nice restaurants and activities in area. Also private schools. Yet most people around Murray are
more laid back and southern hospitality reigns. Also just 2 hours from Charleston, Myrtle, 21/2 hours from Hilton Head and 3 hrs from Atlanta.
Taxes lower than Norman overall. Also cheaper gas.

Hope this helps! riverdoc 3/8/11

Last edited by riverdoc727; 03-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte