Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:55 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezweb View Post
Hi,

Regarding, Rubber Mulch - I found the following article in ezinearticles

Do You Know Enough About Rubber Mulch? (http://ezinearticles.com/?Do-You-Know-Enough-About-Rubber-Mulch?&id=1139764 - broken link)

Thank you
From the article and exactly why you should not use rubber mulch for your plant and flower beds:

Quote:
It dries immediately(why would you want this? mulch is supposed to RETAIN moisture...sheesh)...

This stuff does not get decomposed (uuuuuhhhhhh, hello??? the point of organic decomposition is to provide your plant life with nutrients...wacky wacky I tell ya!).
I can see this stuff being used for a playground, but please oh please do not use it for your plants and shrubs!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Hi,

Do You Know Enough About Rubber Mulch? (http://ezinearticles.com/?Do-You-Know-Enough-About-Rubber-Mulch?&id=1139764 - broken link)

Thank you
Again you are from a different climate zone as stated in your posts above this one. Rubber mulch is not ideal for the North Carolina climate. Natural mulch or bark is. Walk on a road in the middle of summer when the temperature has held steady for 95 degrees then put a potted plant on that pavement and look at it after a day and you will see the results that rubber mulch has on that plant.

That article states about using it in a playground which is great but unless you have something besides grass or some type of seperator between the rubber mulch and your lawn. You will be shooting rubber bullets out of your lawnmower after the kids and pets kick it into the grass.

Im not oppose to those who want to use it but it just not the smartest item to buy for this area.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you
I already pointed out that you are in a dfferent climate zone.

The town where I live is in climate zone 7. The town put it down in some playgrounds & had to remove it because kids were burned. People who put it around plants had to remove it because it killed the plants.

Try walking barefoot on asphalt when it's 98 degress & 100% humidity, but somehow not raining. That's what the rubber much is like on playgrounds & around plants in hotter climates.

I hope that you are enjoying your rubber mulch, but it is not appropriate everywhere.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:37 AM

673 posts, read 2,681,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The town where I live is in climate zone 7. The town put it down in some playgrounds & had to remove it because kids were burned. People who put it around plants had to remove it because it killed the plants.

Try walking barefoot on asphalt when it's 98 degress & 100% humidity, but somehow not raining. That's what the rubber much is like on playgrounds & around plants in hotter climates.

I hope that you are enjoying your rubber mulch, but it is not appropriate everywhere.
Wow, this is an old thread. I am not sure I agree with your comments. I lived in South FL & had rubber mulch in my plant beds for several years. My plants did fine in the heat & humidity. There was never an issue there. I can't comment as much about how hot it got, as I did not walk around barefoot on it. This is not something I would recommend anyway, because it is made from shredded tires, and there are sometimes pieces of metal in it. There were some playgrounds in my area that had rubber mulch down, but they weren't the ones we frequented most often, so I don't recall if the temperature there was an issue. I am assuming not, or else the playgrounds would have been using something other as ground cover.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 46,416 times
Smile Rubber Mulch with Rubber Curbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

That article states about using it in a playground which is great but unless you have something besides grass or some type of seperator between the rubber mulch and your lawn. You will be shooting rubber bullets out of your lawnmower after the kids and pets kick it into the grass.
Well, I got the rubber mulch for my backyard playground, I can tell you that this year it self, the rubber footing saved my kids from injuries, even i am from a different climate zone the kids at the play area are at the same climate risk of getting injured so, rubber mulch can protect them.

please see link Playground Blog » Blog Archive » Playground Surfaces & Why They Really Matter

Re: That article states about using it in a playground which is great but unless you have something besides grass or some type of separator between the rubber mulch and your lawn.

Well, along with the rubber mulch i got, Rubber Curbs from Rubberecycle Rubber Mulch I am Glad that i got it, for exact the reason you explained - separator between the mulch and your lawn.

Thank you

Old 06-02-2008, 07:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Well, I got the rubber mulch for my backyard playground, I can tell you that this year it self, the rubber footing saved my kids from injuries, even i am from a different climate zone the kids at the play area are at the same climate risk of getting injured so, rubber mulch can protect them.

please see link Playground Blog » Blog Archive » Playground Surfaces & Why They Really Matter

Re: That article states about using it in a playground which is great but unless you have something besides grass or some type of separator between the rubber mulch and your lawn.

Well, along with the rubber mulch i got, Rubber Curbs from Rubberecycle Rubber Mulch I am Glad that i got it, for exact the reason you explained - separator between the mulch and your lawn.

Thank you
I have not in any of my posts stated anything about it not safe for playgrounds

Read my posts more closely before you misquote them or take them out of context
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte