Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:28 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,321 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any firsthand experience w/ this? I really don't care for the pine needles, I'm always seeing bugs crawling around in it (and even some snakes). I know it's pricey, but I wanted to see if anyone has it and is happy w/ it. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 01:34 PM

999 posts, read 4,653,772 times
I would be interested in this too, and where to get it. My next door neighbors here in Fayetteville today told me how the wood mulch around their new house (prev owners put it there) may have contributed to the Black Widow nestS in their crawl space, the bug guy sait it provided a great environment for them

Old 06-05-2007, 01:41 PM

94 posts, read 356,459 times
We invested in rubber mulch several years ago - and it is still as good as new, we absolutely love it!! Although the upfront cost is greater, it really does save money over time as you don't have to constantly re-mulch every season. All of the plants seemed to enjoy it as well. In the Carolina heat it has never dried or faded - neighbors marvel how the beds always look so fresh. We bought it when it was fairly new to the market and bought it at Lowe's, although there may be other places that sell it more competitively now (I think we paid $12 a bag for it then).

Old 06-05-2007, 01:59 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,321 times
Default Thanks!

I'm glad to hear that it has not faded due to the NC heat & sun. I did find this brand, and if you click on 'dealer location', I think you can put in your zip to find a dealer. http://www.groundscapelandscape.com/index.htm

I've also heard of a brand called Permalife.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
rubber mulch can be found at lowes about 12 bucks for 30 lb bag and it is good because you will not have to replace it as often as regular mulch.

Regular mulch is between 3.97 and 4.97 benefit of using regular mulch is for it intended purpose to provide moisture and nutrients to the roots of the plants it surround.

The summer heat in north carolina and charlotte can be brutal to azaleas, hillari (sp?) and other short root decorative yard bushes and trees so the natural mulch retains moisture and keeps the roots cool.

We have pesticide stakes in ground to control bugs.

Far as the black widow problem mention by previous poster I dont think that would related to them being in craw space but more because a craw space is a cool sometimes moist dark place.

It always good to be very aware of what you touch around craw spaces or lawn mower sheds and try to keep them clean and dry to help reduce critters making it a home. I once got bit by a brown recluse spider and that was no picnic lol

Old 06-05-2007, 02:46 PM

673 posts, read 2,681,442 times
I had rubber mulch at my Florida home before moving here. I had it for several years, and it looked the same when we moved as the day we bought it. It does not fade, and it does not blow away either (it was still there after 2 hurricanes passed through - trees were down, but the mulch was there!). I paid $10 a bag in FL, but in FL, regular mulch is about $2 a bag, so this was about 5 times the cost. It doesn't need to be replaced, but you might want to buy more every now and then to fill in scant areas. In FL, it comes in multiple colors. We had the standard red mulch color, but it also came in blue, green, purple, etc. I know the colored mulch sounds tacky, but it actually looks pretty neat. One of the nice things about rubber mulch is that you can use a blower to blow leaves out of it, and the mulch won't move. You can't do this with regular mulch. Weeds can still grow under it, but they were more prominent in the areas I had regular mulch in. One thing you have to be careful about though is that since it is made of shredded tires, there are thin shards of metal on some of the pieces. You really don't want to walk through it barefoot, and you have to be careful when you are pulling weeds, because you can get cut - also something to consider if you have kids. We have kids, but it was never an issue for them. If anyone can find rubber mulch for a good deal around here, please share your source.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:55 PM

255 posts, read 885,692 times
The rubber can get hot in the dead of summer (if the sun hits it directly). It can get a sticky feel to it etc. Just be carefull, it gets pretty hot here in July/August.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:59 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,915,127 times
I think this stuff sounds great. I don't want the dog on it if it gets too hot though....don't want to burn his paws! As for me, I don't fondle mulch very much so I am not worried about the heat or stickiness.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:36 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,866 times
Here's a local outfit that sells rubber mulch. You know we love to support the locals!

Kids Mulch - Supplier of rubber mulch, playground rubber mulch and landscaping mulch in Charlotte, NC

Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 PM

999 posts, read 4,653,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
Here's a local outfit that sells rubber mulch. You know we love to support the locals!

Kids Mulch - Supplier of rubber mulch, playground rubber mulch and landscaping mulch in Charlotte, NC
Thanks! The new yard is TINY so even though the cost is higher it should still be affordable...trying to see the bright side of a small yard here
I love to be able to get things locally and support local businesses when possible. In fact I specifically am looking at only local small companies with good reps to do my move from Fayetteville to Indian Trail. I HATED our last movers and figured if I went local I'd have better folks, and likely better prices with no advertising costs, simply word of mouth and reputation.
Joan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte