Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:57 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,221,738 times

Advertisements

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
...We seriously need to either increase supply ( and not mile deep drilling), or decrease demand.
Econ 101: it's not rocket science.
Yet, crude oil prices during this event have dropped from close to $90/barrel to just over $70 as of today. Price of gasoline is dropping, not rising.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-01-2010 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 05:58 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,071,636 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I forwarded this thread to my best friends who works for the EPA in Durham this state
local office he repied this to me on Facebook

after todays Speech by President Obama BP is going to pay up.
Spoiler

boycott BP
Regarding the spoiler.....
BP gas stations are all independently owned and operated. When you boycott the station because it says BP out front you aren't hurting BP one bit...you ARE hurting your local business owner/operator. It might make you feel better to think you are hurting BP but how does it make you feel that some guy who just owns the station is suffering for something he has nothing to do with?

Even if a boycott of the gas stations made a dent in sales, BP would just sell their gas to someone else and make the same profit.

The only one to be hurt by a boycott is the local business owner, not corporate BP.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-01-2010 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 06:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,325,362 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Yet, crude oil prices during this event have dropped from close to $90/barrel to just over $70 as of today. Price of gasoline is dropping, not rising.
Crude prices have obviously dropped because, for whatever reason, global demand has dropped.

At the same time if BP is fined, the independent retailers will simply pass their increased costs onto consumers, and the adjoining retailers of different brands will split the difference. That is how the marketplace works.

We are drilling in mile deep waters because the environmentalist will not let them drill closer. Argue this if you want, but our economy needs energy.
Love your cheap crap at Wal-Mart? It gets there via many gallons of gasoline refined from crude oil.

Great article here:

Whose Blowout Is It, Anyway?

Funny, I remember the Honda Civic HF in the mid to late 80s that got 40 mpg in town and 57 hwy. Why? Because it was very light and had no airbags and would absolutely get crushed in a collision with a Suburban.

But, if one can ride a motorcycle in all 50 states, why can't we have less 'safe' lighter vehicles which get stellar mpg?
Why not let the consumer decide? Freedom of choice, right?

VW has developed several models which could get 70-125 mpg in a real world environment.
The German TÃœV has approved them, but our DOT thinks they are too dangerous.
Dangerous compared to what, a motorcycle or scooter???
I would gladly take my chances, I already ride motorcycles, and would happily purchase such a vehicle.

The whole 'boycotting BP' thing is utter ridiculous.
Who has the knowledge and resources to fix this mess?
An oil company whose livelihood is based upon recovering as much oil as possible (obviously for profit) or the US government who has zero knowledge of mile deep drilling.
Be serious.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-01-2010 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 06:36 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,142,566 times
Spoiler
I posted a video on my facebook today from the Rachel Maddow show. I know, many of you don't agree w/her left wing show, but the clip I posted was 5 minutes from the Today Show in 1979 and it was about a catastrophic oil spil in the Gulf. Guess what caused it? A blow out and failure of the plug. That was 31 flippin' years ago!!!!! Now tell me why nobody bothered to come up with a better plan for when this happened again?

I don't know what the solution is, but it is inexcusable not to come up with one and retrofit ALL oil rigs to prevent such a disaster from ever happening again.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-01-2010 at 07:41 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 06:37 PM

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
The whole 'boycotting BP' thing is utter ridiculous.
Who has the knowledge and resources to fix this mess?
An oil company whose livelihood is based upon recovering as much oil as possible (obviously for profit) or the US government who has zero knowledge of mile deep drilling.
Be serious.
This very problem was solved decades ago by the Soviets. It just takes a government willing to take charge and tackle it. (Ignore the nonsense in the beginning)

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-01-2010 at 07:40 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,363,974 times
Most contaminants do not evaporate with the water. Acid rain comes about when certain chemicals that are released comine with rain not the bodies of water. Look at the evaporation temp of the chemicals. Most are not even close to that of water.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,325,362 times
Spoiler
Absolutely an interesting video, and I LOVE period pieces.
That is a land well, not a well a mile deep in the ocean. Talk about environmental side effects, LOL!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Spoiler
True, but one would hope that in the time since those days the US government might be able to drill a hole at even that depth. In regards to underground nuclear explosions, the USA exploded 820 nuclear bombs in underground tests from 1951 until 1992. They developed the technology to the point where the holes would seal themselves from the explosion with little escape of radiation. Surely they could use this same technology to collapse that oil line. My theory on why they don't is they still want to get the oil out. It's worth $1.5B/year and nuclear seal would put it off limits.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,142,566 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
True, but one would hope that in the time since those days the US government might be able to drill a hole at even that depth. In regards to underground nuclear explosions, the USA exploded 820 nuclear bombs in underground tests from 1951 until 1992. They developed the technology to the point where the holes would seal themselves from the explosion with little escape of radiation. Surely they could use this same technology to collapse that oil line. My theory on why they don't is they still want to get the oil out. It's worth $1.5B/year and nuclear seal would put it off limits.
Plus, they are already drilling a relief well that's set to be completed in August. What would be the point of drilling a hole for a bomb when it would take at least as long?

Are we even allowed to set off a nuclear bomb?

Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 PM

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Plus, they are already drilling a relief well that's set to be completed in August. What would be the point of drilling a hole for a bomb when it would take at least as long?
They would not have to drill as deep, lay oil pipe in the hole and install all the stuff they need to keep another blowout from happening.

I believe the President is free to use nuclear bombs anytime he feels it is necessary to protect the nation.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-03-2010 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte