Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:51 PM

446 posts, read 831,206 times

Advertisements

Anyone given any thought to the rain that we've had all day and recently that comes directly from the Gulf of Mexico? I have been wondering if this stuff they are spraying from the planes as well as the toxins from the oil itself could be in our rains. Water evaporates from the ocean, and it rains....the rains happen to be here right now. And what about a hurricane? What will that do to the dispersment of that toxic soup when the rains come over land, and possibly our way?

Just a thought...a dismal one at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 PM

540 posts, read 1,706,280 times
uh, dont think oil evaporates...

Old 05-31-2010, 07:35 PM

446 posts, read 831,206 times
I didn't think oil evaporates either, but what I meant and didn't state clearly I guess, was the toxins that come from the oil, but mostly from that stuff they are spraying to disperse the oil. The EPA has apparently asked BP to cut down or stop spraying it all together, but now they're spraying it directly at the source of the leak.

I guess it must have seemed like a stupid question, but I don't think it is. I'm not imagining oil pellets floating up to the sky.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:58 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
Dispersants | EPA Response to BP Spill in the Gulf of Mexico | US EPA

google is a wonderful thing!

Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
We will be fine during a hurricane.
Gulf states not so much.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:33 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,212,299 times
The Russians, the biggest oil producers in the world, think the rain will be toxic for the entire eastern 1/2 of the USA. I guess that would include Charlotte. Whether it's true or not is anyone's guess, but it seems clear enough that there have already been big efforts to conceal the true damage and the corporate controlled media here in the USA simply does not push that hard.

This news has been circulating in the international press. Here is a link. I did not check into the reputation of the paper, but it's one of the few that is in English.

Oil spill threatens 'total destruction'
"Russian scientists believe BP is pumping millions of gallons of Corexit 9500, a chemical dispersal agent, under the Gulf of Mexico waters to hide the full extent of the leak, now estimated to be over 2.9 million gallons a day.

Experts say Corexit 9500 is a solvent four times more toxic than oil.

The agent, scientists believe, has a 2.61ppm toxicity level, and when mixed with the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, its molecules will be able to “phase transition.”

This transition involves the change of the liquid into a gaseous state, which can be absorbed by clouds. The gas will then be released as “toxic rain” leading to “unimaginable environmental catastrophe” destroying all life forms from the “bottom of the evolutionary chart to the top,” the report said.
"
As I said, I don't know if the source is accurate or not, but the EPA did tell BP to stop using this crap, yet they are still doing so. Why isn't the government, for all of it's hyperbole of "it's in charge" actually stop them? Unfortunately, a lot of our weather here in Charlotte does seem to originate from the gulf. We do get some protection from the mountains, but I do see a reason to be concerned.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 AM

218 posts, read 523,154 times
The rain we have had in the past week has not "come from the Gulf coast." We are getting storms the past few days that are popping up over the Carolinas. While some gulf moisture is likely coming in, the dispersants are likely just to be in the water there. They won't evaporate into the air with the gulf moisture. Even if they did, they would be greatly dilluted by the time it rained again.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:54 AM

604 posts, read 1,307,632 times
Sort of like Acid Rain, but with petroleum in it???

The US Daily consumption of pertoleum is....

19,498,000 barrels/day total with almost one half or 8,989,000 barrels/day (378 million gallons/day) being used for automobiles.

Once the gas is used, the vapors go into the atmosphere????

Then rain down on us!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:09 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
uh, dont think oil evaporates...
It can evaporate. It depends on the chemical composition of the oil but I've read that the type of oil in the gulf could have an evaporation rate of 40% (or more). That's a good thing for the beaches and clean up effort, bad for the air quality of affected areas but probably not going to affect us here. EPA is monitoring air quality as related to oil evaporation and the dispersant...not sure how far out from the gulf. My understanding is that the dispersant may interfere with the evaporation process...I'm not sure why they want to concentrate on using the toxic dispersant instead of building berms to protect the beaches and marshes while letting evaporation take care of 40% of the oil and making the rest easier to clean up, but I'm no expert. *shrug*

Air Monitoring on Gulf Coastline | EPA Response to BP Spill in the Gulf of Mexico | US EPA

Old 06-01-2010, 06:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post

The gas will then be released as “toxic rain” leading to “unimaginable environmental catastrophe” destroying all life forms from the “bottom of the evolutionary chart to the top,”
Sounds a little grim, not sure I buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte