Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:38 AM

13 posts, read 41,552 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to Charlottesville from Fairfield County Connecticut. Part of the reason we want to leave the NE is to escape the extreme liberalism (and the taxes that go with it) that we have here. There is not much in the way of political diversity in CT, so we thought that a college town in the midst of a conservative population might be just the mix we are looking for.

Charlottesville was looking like a great choice for us until, to my great surprise, I found that 80% of the population of Charlottesville voted for Obama in the last election! Still, I have read here (on this forum) that CV is conservative. Please explain. Is that voting percentage skewed from 18 year old students at UVA?

I'm sure that most liberals don't believe such people exist, but my wife and I are highly educated conservatives, and we enjoy true diversity of thought, not just skin color. A right-leaning "purple" city is were we would be happiest. We are not going to be happy living among rednecks, or 60 year old hippies.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 01:21 PM

419 posts, read 902,041 times
First thing to keep in mind is that most folks that are Virginians and labeled as liberals would be considered more a conservative in the bastions of liberaldom. (SF comes to mind more than any other place).
The other key to consider is that Charlottesville the city is surrounded by Albemarle county and the other counties in the area that would probably be described as conservative. The mix of people in the area as a whole is very middle of the road with loud voices from the far left and far right being less influential than in other areas of the country (in my experience anyway) I am familiar with your area of Connecticut and I think you will find the Charlottesville area very different in attitude and in how life is lived. Pleasantly surprised I think.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Although you you should keep in mind that we have our share of rednecks and 60 year old hippies and often they are neighbors and friends.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 PM

894 posts, read 2,314,512 times
Charlottesville sounds perfect for you!

Old 05-12-2011, 06:03 AM

13 posts, read 41,552 times
Thank you, gregir. Very well explained. We are coming down for our first official "scouting mission" this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregir View Post
First thing to keep in mind is that most folks that are Virginians and labeled as liberals would be considered more a conservative in the bastions of liberaldom. (SF comes to mind more than any other place).
The other key to consider is that Charlottesville the city is surrounded by Albemarle county and the other counties in the area that would probably be described as conservative. The mix of people in the area as a whole is very middle of the road with loud voices from the far left and far right being less influential than in other areas of the country (in my experience anyway) I am familiar with your area of Connecticut and I think you will find the Charlottesville area very different in attitude and in how life is lived. Pleasantly surprised I think.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 AM

178 posts, read 583,099 times
I sent you a message Brian, please let me know what you discover there (being from the North) and give us an update

We are most likely headed down to visit in 2 weeks (Memorial Day weekend)

Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 AM

It has been beautiful here in the Blue Ridge lately. I hope you have nice weather and have a chance to explore the area. I live in Nelson county and would encourage to visit. Mostly because I really like it here and hope you wil too.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:17 AM

5 posts, read 17,594 times
I'm also interested in your impressions of the area. My wife and I (We're both 30) are considering the region and come from MA. We are hoping to move in about a year or so. We're looking for something not tooooo far from Dulles so I can fly for work, I'll be interested to see your impressions of your scouting trip.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:46 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,408 times
Charlottesville is the Boulder of the SE. Look at election results from the last 50 years. 50 years ago, it was a redneck city fighting integration. By 1992, I don't believe the city went republican again. Albermalre "used" to be the redneck county surrounding it. Now, Albemarle is like fairfax county in DC, full of rich liberals with a few redneck holdouts. Albermarle and Cville are basically one in the same at this point when it comes to voting. Fluvanna, Orange, Nelson and Greene are the embarrassments that locals shake their heads at.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:38 AM

10 posts, read 139,661 times
Quote:
A right-leaning "purple" city is were we would be happiest.
Have you considered Augusta County? (West of Charlottesville in the Shenandoah Valley) Here's the election stats Virginia State Board of Elections : View Election Results

I think you will find the taxes (and the cost of living in general) in Augusta to be considerably lower than CT. Augusta County, VA : Home

We've lived in Waynesboro about 5 years (originally from NJ, then escaped from FL) and we, along with most of our friends and neighbors, commute to Harrisonburg and Charlottesville for work but prefer the affordability and atmosphere here...there is a wonderful "country", small-town feel with the amenities of the larger cities. A lot of popular community events throughout the year provide just enough local activity and then the neighboring areas offer even more variety.

We had first considered Charlottesville as well, but home prices were way above our budget at the time. Being centrally located to Charlottesville & Harrisonburg has worked out well for us. We also travel to Washington D.C. (about 2 hours north) for long weekends with our school-aged kids which has been great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville