Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,555,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Seriously? Sounds like a "Welcome to the South" sign for people heading down I-95 South! Haha!
Hey brother.. Yeah, there are now two I-95 Battle Flags. I personally don't see anything funny, or strange, about it.. or seeing any Confederate symbols around Va (?)

Your earlier post suggested that Virginia was essentially a watered down Confederate state, which is an inaccurate characterization. Va. hosted the Confederacy's most significant national capital, produced arguably it's greatest generals, presently hosts a pair of Confederate museums (in Richmond and now Appomattox), & saw the most battles on it's native soil fighting Union soldiers, etc.. Virginia had many counties like Princess Anne, Henrico, etc.. where every single vote cast in May '61 supported secession.

You also stated Virginia is 'moving on' from it's Confederate legacy. But I think it's more of a case of some anti-Southern (and often additionally anti-White) bigots willfully erasing Virginia's holistic history. There are still many Virginians who appreciate, and/or are interested in, preserving and studying Virginia's Confederate history. Charlottesville's mayor (Huja) is a first generation 3rd-world immigrant with no roots in Virginia's history, he is emblematic of the political/cultural alliance that is tragically erasing the Americans who often lived here for generations prior, framed Virginia, and fought tooth & nail to defend Va. and America. In Jacksons' case he was a Mexican War hero, and then lost his arm & subsequently his life for Virginia...

I would never relocate to another state, or country, and work to erase my hospitable hosts' culture.. but..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:59 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Hey brother.. Yeah, there are now two I-95 Battle Flags. I personally don't see anything funny, or strange, about it.. or seeing any Confederate symbols around Va (?)

Your earlier post suggested that Virginia was essentially a watered down Confederate state, which is an inaccurate characterization. Va. hosted the Confederacy's most significant national capital, produced arguably it's greatest generals, presently hosts a pair of Confederate museums (in Richmond and now Appomattox), & saw the most battles on it's native soil fighting Union soldiers, etc.. Virginia had many counties like Princess Anne, Henrico, etc.. where every single vote cast in May '61 supported secession.

You also stated Virginia is 'moving on' from it's Confederate legacy. But I think it's more of a case of some anti-Southern (and often additionally anti-White) bigots willfully erasing Virginia's holistic history. There are still many Virginians who appreciate, and/or are interested in, preserving and studying Virginia's Confederate history. Charlottesville's mayor (Huja) is a first generation 3rd-world immigrant with no roots in Virginia's history, he is emblematic of the political/cultural alliance that is tragically erasing the Americans who often lived here for generations prior, framed Virginia, and fought tooth & nail to defend Va. and America. In Jacksons' case he was a Mexican War hero, and then lost his arm & subsequently his life for Virginia...

I would never relocate to another state, or country, and work to erase my hospitable hosts' culture.. but..
I'm definitely aware of Virginia's Civil War history, and the legacy of Robert E. Lee and the Capital of the Confederacy being in Richmond. However, Virginia isn't the Deep South. Virginia didn't even secede from the Union before Ft. Sumter, and it's more transplant saturated today than many other (mostly Deep South) southern states. Mississippi still has the Confederate emblem in their state flag! Also, South Carolina is still fighting to fly the Confederate flag over the SC State House! This doesn't seem to be the case in Virginia. I'm sure you'll still find people who appreciate Virginia's Confederate heritage, but the Civil War is an extremely uncomfortable and slightly controversial topic in the eyes of most people. Also, it definitely doesn't help when loads of outsiders are moving in who aren't aware of Virginia's Confederate heritage and don't necessarily care. This will happen to loads of other southern states, just wait and see. For better or for worse, and I'm a big Civil War buff myself, the whole legacy of the Confederacy is dying mostly in the major metros of the South. Transplants are moving in, people will automatically assume the Confederacy was extremely racist and fought for slavery, and (mostly) younger generations couldn't care less.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:17 PM

171 posts, read 181,044 times
Does anyone know that the Virginia state flag is actually a Confederate flag? Virginia had no flag until 1861 but did have a state seal which featured George III on his back and the words Sic Semper Tyrannis(Latin) which means "Ever Thus to Tyrants." The educated and savvy Virginians of 1861 thought that this would make a symbolic state flag and that the tyrant(and the guy who caused 700,000 American deaths) was now Abe Lincoln. Check out the original in the State Capitol--beautiful. Most Southern flags today have a Confederate origin though most don't realize it. "That damn war" as espoused by Josey Wales in the greatest movie ever made did NOT have to happen. Virginia sent a Peace Delegation to D.C. in 1861 to try to find a compromise but Dishonest Abe refused to meet them. Yes, Abe was a racist, yes he had a number of relatives in the CSA army, but he couldn't give up the $$$ that the Southern states were bringing in. Another war based on MONEY, not slaves or anything else. Long live Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Jeb Stuart all the rest of our Southern heros!.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:24 PM

171 posts, read 181,044 times
Grant was not as bad as some of us Southerners might think. As President he refused to have the great Robert E. Lee branded as traitor and arrested. Had he been born 100 miles farther south he would have worn the grey.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:10 PM

A petition, for interested parties, to help defend Robert E Lee's statue (against removal) from Charlottesville's Lee Park:
https://www.change.org/p/mike-signer...fb_ref=Default

Old 04-26-2016, 02:50 PM

70 posts, read 95,542 times
It's great.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:34 AM

An activist group (and educational resource), for people interested in protecting Charlottesville's Lee & Stonewall Jackson statues from destruction, relocation and/or removal:

https://www.facebook.com/R.E.Leehistory/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville