Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 16,783 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the Charlottesville area and I am having trouble finding information on the public schools. My boys are both in elementary school. My older son is dyslexic with a small learning disability so a great school is VERY important. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Mandee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Have you visited GreatSchools.net? That will give you an idea of how some parents have rated the schools. You can also check directly with the school districts -- Charlottesville City has its own schools, separate from the surrounding Albemarle County district.

Generally, the county schools are considered "better" than the city schools, but YMMV. I believe that each school's website will have a link to its Report Card. This will give you details about how well the students performed on standardized tests, the overall safety of the school, attendance rates, etc.

You can also contact the Special Education departments for Charlottesville and Albemarle for details on available services.

If you decide to live outside Charlottesville/Albemarle, I'd again start with Great Schools to determine which other local districts are worth investigating.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:47 AM

7 posts, read 41,892 times
Charlottesville has great elementary schools.

The best elementary school in the area is Meriweather Lewis, but most every elementary school is solid

Old 02-08-2011, 03:49 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
You should check out the thread on Buford (Charlottesville's school for 7th & 8th graders) on this forum too.

Unless you plan on moving before your kids are old enough for middle school, that will become an issue if you move into Charlottesville.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:15 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
You should check out the thread on Buford (Charlottesville's school for 7th & 8th graders) on this forum too.

Unless you plan on moving before your kids are old enough for middle school, that will become an issue if you move into Charlottesville.
That's excellent advice...If hoping to live inside the city limits, plan on private schools instead of having to deal with Buford.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 AM

8 posts, read 30,274 times
I would have to say that Albemarle County School system has greatly improved my childs learning ability and also the teachers and upper staff there MAKE your child WANT to learn. My son went from a failing standpoint with the City schools to ALL passing SOLs as a senior at Albemarle High School. So thats all I can say about that........ Daughter in 3rd grade started in private school went to Greer has been in all advanced classes since enrollment. and I was very hesitant and public school.

Last edited by denise38; 02-23-2011 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: mis spelled a word

Old 02-24-2011, 04:34 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,254 times
CHS can be great if you make the best of it. Unfortunately there's a lot of "students" that basically treat it as a quick stop before the city jail. If your kid is the type who can get into advanced and honors classes, he doesn't have to worry about those "students".

Albemarle schools are plagued with similar problems, on a much smaller scale. The rankings (from lowest to highest) are probably: Monticello, Albemarle, Western Albemarle.

As for pre-HS, I would probably keep them out of cville schools due to the integrated nature of the classrooms and the ability of certain kids to pollute the entire class.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 15,478 times
Smile this is where you find the actual info

I recommend that you don't pay too much attention to the above comments. The actual data shows that almost all Charlottesville schools, for instance, are better than the county's. That said, Albemarle has very good schools too, and a few weak ones. The following website will give you the official scores and the rankings of each school in the area: https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/
Please disregard some of the prejudicial comments above. They reflect a small minority... people in Charlottesville are much more progressive than that.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:17 AM

21 posts, read 69,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
CHS can be great if you make the best of it. Unfortunately there's a lot of "students" that basically treat it as a quick stop before the city jail. If your kid is the type who can get into advanced and honors classes, he doesn't have to worry about those "students".
Lived in the area for several years recently. Jesco is spot on. If your child displays great initiative, and is extremely independent, he/she will be fine at CHS. It is the only high school in the town of Charlottesville, so it is very diverse, which I think is a positive. My child went to WAHS and found it to be unnecessarily snobby; we've lived all over so the area that feeds in to WAHS was unremarkable to us. WAHS is very strong academically, so that is a positive.

CHS is not nearly as bad as an inner city school in say Richmond, but it isn't a sought after school, imo,

Old 04-19-2014, 12:24 PM

34 posts, read 92,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere17 View Post
...If your child displays great initiative, and is extremely independent, he/she will be fine...
“In many school systems there is a large homogeneous group of students in the middle of the student population with a relatively small number of high achievers and students with need for extra support on either end. In Charlottesville, we have a significant group of high achievers on one end, a large group of students who need extra educational support services at the other end of the spectrum, and a relatively small group of students in the middle…” August 2013, City of Charlottesville and Charlottesville City Schools Blue Ribbon Commission on Sustainable School Funding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville