Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 06:23 PM

19 posts, read 63,025 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to research which towns near Charlottesville have the best schools. I'd like to be near Charlottesville, but not necessarily in. I'd actually prefer my kids to grow up in a small town, country feel, friendy people and good schools. Oh, and at least a half acre to an acre of land.

Can any of you recommend some towns for me to look into? Housing wise we'd be in the $350,000 range. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 09:11 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,300,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katied75 View Post
I'm trying to research which towns near Charlottesville have the best schools. I'd like to be near Charlottesville, but not necessarily in. I'd actually prefer my kids to grow up in a small town, country feel, friendy people and good schools. Oh, and at least a half acre to an acre of land.

Can any of you recommend some towns for me to look into? Housing wise we'd be in the $350,000 range. Thanks!
Stick in Albemarle County and you'll be fine..... Not sure the pricing, but Earlysville is beautiful (it's where I mostly grew up). Also Free Union, Ivy, White Hall, Crozet (was down in C'Ville area this weekend and there's a good amount of development out in Crozet and it's a nice little town and I can personally vouch for the schools as I went to them..... JT Henley Middle and Western Albemarle High ROCK!!! )

Old 05-21-2007, 07:51 AM

12 posts, read 54,808 times
Hello,

My husband is interviewing for a job in Staunton, can you give any info on the surrounding area. The place you speak of sounds great, any idea how far of a commute to Staunton?

Thanks,

CathyFla

Old 05-21-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyfla View Post
Hello,

My husband is interviewing for a job in Staunton, can you give any info on the surrounding area. The place you speak of sounds great, any idea how far of a commute to Staunton?

Thanks,

CathyFla
Actually Crozet would be only about a 25 minute commute via I-64..

Old 05-21-2007, 09:20 PM

12 posts, read 54,808 times
VAFury,

Thank you for your help. If you have any insight to Staunton, I'd appreciate it. Where is the closet mall? Catholic church? Best and worst schools in the area?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cathyfla

Old 05-22-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyfla View Post
VAFury,

Thank you for your help. If you have any insight to Staunton, I'd appreciate it. Where is the closet mall? Catholic church? Best and worst schools in the area?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cathyfla
Honestly I know very little about Staunton itself..... I looked there briefly for apartments when it was looking like I'd be working in Harrisonburg, but got a better offer in Front Royal...... Rents and Housing prices are relatively low in the Staunton area which is about as far as I went in my research... Pretty area too.... Wish I could tell you more.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:36 PM

32 posts, read 108,529 times
I've got you covered for Staunton, lived there for about 11 years.

The city, after seeing some population declines in the 1990s, is undergoing a bit of a renaissance. There is some serious growth regarding the housing stock, with over a dozen subdivisions being built currently. The city is 20 sq miles, but only about 10 of those are developed, so there is plenty of room to work with. You could easily find a very decent sized home in one of these subs, or any of the existing neighborhoods for less than $200,000.

Regarding your questions, the closest mall is in Staunton, but its not great at all. It has a Belk, Pennies, Books a Million, and a Gold's Gym, but thats probably it in terms of anything of note. The better malls are in Harrisonburg (25 min), Charlottesville (40 min), or even Roanoke (about 70-80 min). The downtown has a growing retail area, but it is still primarily novelty shops and the like. The closest catholic church is right in downtown Staunton (St Francis) on N Augusta St. It is an old, very pretty building with a pretty large # of families. There are also catholic churches to the east in Waynesboro and to the north in Harrisonburg.

The best schools in terms of academics are without a doubt in the county, however diversity there is almost non-existent. The city school systems (one of which I am a graduate) have been eclipsed by the county, but are much more diverse. Plus, all three area school systems have a centralized magnet school for arts, science, and technology which offers college level classes. It is part of Virginia's network of governor's schools, and is basically a half day ordeal when you are junior & senior in high school. I think Staunton city schools offer a better all around package in terms of schooling. The county schools have a large agricultural component that tend to dominate the entire school, and this is not found in the city school systems.

All in all, the area seems to becoming more and more popular. I'd recommend living in the city, because you are closer to amenities and it is much more pedestrian friendly (from the neighborhood where I grew up you could easily walk to neighborhood parks, downtown, shopping, convenience stores, etc). That is simply not possible in the county. Hope you enjoy the area!

Old 06-08-2007, 06:46 AM

I also looked in a small developing town about 5 minutes away from Staunton that seemed nice..... Fishersville I think.....

Old 06-08-2007, 12:54 PM

32 posts, read 108,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
I also looked in a small developing town about 5 minutes away from Staunton that seemed nice..... Fishersville I think.....
Most likely. Was it between Staunton and Waynesboro? That area has seen considerable growth since Staunton & Waynesboro consolidated their hospitals there in the 1990s.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 15,196 times
Default my kids chose

My son and daughter (she's not an inlaw but like a daughter) chose the town of Crozet because of the schools. My son works in Staunton but really liked the schools in Crozet and from what I can see of my grandkid's progress, I heartily agree. Depending on where in Staunton and where in Charlottesville you work, it wouldn't be much more than a 15-20 minute commute. I live in the mountains about 13 miles from my kids (when I'm in VA) and it takes about 15 minutes to get to their place.
Lastly, living in SC for over half of the year, I absolutely love the area in VA. It is incredibly beautiful 12 months a year. Good luck. HB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville