Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKore5250 View Post
Wow! So now I see. Thats what it is Atlanta GA people feel inferior towards people not from the South or people that do not have a southern accent and they put people down, give people a hard time, smirk and think that they are better than people not from the South! It all makes sense thats what I experience everyday from the clothes I wear getting mean stares wow man that is ****ed up!! Of course living here 7 years I tried to figure out and it makes sense now. Of course not everybody is like that BUT MOST EVERyBODY is holy **** maybe like 4% are not like that which is very small. Man Southerners have ****ing issues and pretend everything is ok by whistling wow! It makes SENSE Vanyali! Its like people don't let people breathe here its crazy as big as a city as Atlanta is. Man that makes me feel uncomfortable just to go out I experienced that today in Starbucks I was having a conversation with a woman from the South about metal bands just debating nothing bad and when the Southernwoman made a point the one I was talking to a girl walked up and smirked after the Southern woman I was talking to made a point. And when I made a point people pretending to yawn and looked meanly at me and laughed. And this was my friend from the South that likes metal. Man that is ****ed up now I see what you mean Vayali good point!

All I have to say after attempting to read this is...... What???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meskito View Post
I don't know about feeling inferior, but having lived all over the south my whole life I can tell you that the deeper you go, the more pride southerners have in "their way". I have always liked that about certain southern towns, but I can see why it sucks for some people who don't feel like they fit in. It's like you have to conform and really get where they are coming from or you will always feel left out. I think it might be like that all over. It's a shame that Atlanta is like that, it's a huge city. But it's also very steeped in southern tradition and pride. That being said, surely there are folks who listen to heavy metal music there! Don't be discouraged.
And if a family from the deep south moved up to Massachussetts I'm sure similar issues might arise..... Not sure how this is unique.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 PM

395 posts, read 523,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidygal View Post
I'm a native New Englander, and love the Northeast. In particular, I adore Portland, Maine. Generally speaking, I love everything about Portland (and New England in general) ... except the weather. I am looking for a city in a warmer & sunnier part of the country, but which has a culture similar to that of Portland.

A few people I know have recommended Charlottesville, Virginia -- but from what I can tell, Charlottesville is a lot more conservative/Bible Belt than Portland & New England more broadly speaking. Now, I'm not a knee-jerk liberal. But I am looking for someplace where, on average, people are tolerant and open-minded, and where the populace is generally well-educated. If we start a family, I don't want my children exposed on a daily basis to overt racism, sexism, and religious bigotry as part of the culture. I have lived in the South before, and, unfortunately, have found far, far more of those ugly characteristics than in New England.

Any ideas on other warmer/sunnier cities that a Portland-lover would love?

It Southern- but just lightly so. I cant believe though you have such an ignorant view about "Southern" . I actually have found more racism and intolerance from Northerners, IMO.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
Charlottesville is far, far better them most places in the South. The confederate flag waiving, Nascar watching Redneck is actually is a minority there. Since it is the home to the University of Virginia and is quite close to Northern Virginia, the original old school southern population has been “infiltrated” by Yankees and foreigners for quite a while now. I would seriously recommend a visit before you rule it out.
Excuse me, but watching Nascar is bluecollar, not Southern. Southern is being laid back and friendly. You are trying to sum up "Southern" as some kind of working class thing. That is actually the opposite of it.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 PM

79 posts, read 302,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
And if a family from the deep south moved up to Massachussetts I'm sure similar issues might arise..... Not sure how this is unique.
As I stated - it's like that all over. But for some reason the south is stereotyped as being more closed minded than other parts of the U.S. Just an observation.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
As I stated - it's like that all over. But for some reason the south is stereotyped as being more closed minded than other parts of the U.S. Just an observation.
That is the stereotype.... Can't deny that...

Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I don't know about feeling inferior, but having lived all over the south my whole life I can tell you that the deeper you go, the more pride southerners have in "their way". I have always liked that about certain southern towns, but I can see why it sucks for some people who don't feel like they fit in. It's like you have to conform and really get where they are coming from or you will always feel left out. I think it might be like that all over. It's a shame that Atlanta is like that, it's a huge city. But it's also very steeped in southern tradition and pride. That being said, surely there are folks who listen to heavy metal music there! Don't be discouraged.

I have been to Atlanta several times and I actually found nothing remotely Southern about that city at all

However, in Richmond, which is Upper South, is just the start of the South is much more Southern and "Old South" to me , ironically.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:33 AM

506 posts, read 1,402,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Excuse me, but watching Nascar is bluecollar, not Southern. Southern is being laid back and friendly. You are trying to sum up "Southern" as some kind of working class thing. That is actually the opposite of it.
..the opposite? Please explain.
I know PLENTY of white color Southerners and, yep, they do love their NASCAR (Seriously, I am trying to think of one who doesn’t…ok, my wife and her brother).

Last edited by Mr_Jonas; 09-17-2008 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
..the opposite? Please explain.
I know PLENTY of white color Southerners and, yep, they do love their NASCAR (Seriously, I am trying to think of one who doesn’t…ok, my wife and her brother).
Because "rednecks" and redneck culture is not at all unique to the South- and furthermore- its a class of Southerner. But Southern to me- is genteel, well mannered, cultured, and laid back and warm and friendly

Now- IMO, Southern rednecks with their rudeness, loud speaking voices, and brash manner have more in common with Yankees, lol

Old 09-18-2008, 03:10 PM

79 posts, read 302,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Because "rednecks" and redneck culture is not at all unique to the South- and furthermore- its a class of Southerner. But Southern to me- is genteel, well mannered, cultured, and laid back and warm and friendly

Now- IMO, Southern rednecks with their rudeness, loud speaking voices, and brash manner have more in common with Yankees, lol
yes, yes, YES! Rednecks are everywhere. It's a class of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville