Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:13 PM

19 posts, read 49,963 times

Advertisements

Charlottesville is BORING. Lived there when I went to college
You will see a lot of these people
UVA college kids
Ghetto folks
Trailer folks

In the mood for some good Asian food? won't find any there
Everything closes early.
All of C'ville life seems to be based off RT 29 - it's a road that goes into C'ville and cuts through UVA, and is what you will need to drive on to do nearly everything.
It does have a quaint, quite, southern charm, if you're into that. The southern style architecture is seen a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 04:48 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,756 times
I've lived in both cities and it all depends on your age group and interests. If you absolutely must have beaches and access to big city life, than Long Beach is the answer. But if you're looking for a quieter college town, then Charlottesville is the best.

SoCal is generally pretty bad when it comes to public transit but at least they have the Metro Blue Line to L.A. I've been wasted in Long Beach and had to get back to L.A., luckily I had the LRT to take me home at night. The people in general are way better looking in California compared to Virginia. When I first went to Virginia Beach was was expecting something like Venice Beach so when I actually got there I wanted to puke. But a lot of students at UVA can give Californians a run for their money, if you're in that age group. People seem to be more honest and up-front in Virginia, plus a lot of the locals have some of that southern hospitality. However if you want to speak español or get some decent Indian food, Long Beach is better. You have more gangs and crime in southern California but you have more hicks and trailer trash in Virginia.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,644 times
Maybe I can add a little perspective. I have lived in Northern Virginia since 1985 coming from Los Angeles and growing up in the Long Beach, San Pedro area. I have daughter at UVA in CVille and visit regularly. I have also spent alot of time traveling the entire country and travel all over VA on my motorcycle.

CVille is a country college town surrounded by farms and mountains. A couple of major roadways in and out and a population of approx 40 thousand. Poplulated by students and UVA staff and support businesses. Its small town rural roll up mixed with the intellectual sophistication that a major university brings. It is southern. There are great areas for dining and recreation. The countryside is beautiful.

Long Beach is a Port of LA town. Predominantly industrial, congested, dirty, with some great areas to live but more areas to stay away from. Blue collar. Pick a port on the East. Baltimore comes to mind. LB has been undergoing a gentrification that burns bright and fizzles off and on. The DT area has its good times and bad. The naval base has been removed.

I think the largest difference is that in LB, you have the ability to live a few miles away but still in have quick access to have the ocean, Sierras, deserts, big city entertainment and sports working your way through 15 million people. CVille is small town and you have access to more small southern towns, the wonderful Blue Ridge Mountains and and DC is two hours away and most importantly, a much slower, kind and gentle approach to life.

I find far more peace in VA than anywhere in SOCAL. Even Northern Virginia is small town compared to Long Beach, LA.

Hope that provides a little perspective.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,604 times
Interesting view of SoCal. Despite all of the congestion of the LA area I have always enjoyed its "laid back" lifestyle mixed with the beautiful climate and palm trees. It is definately no place for people without large sums of money.
If I had to choose between NoVa and SoCal I would definately go for SoCal.
I guess it just depends on one's perspective.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,091 times
Here's my take on this subject since I've been living in LA for the last 17 years and am making the move to Charlottesville. The LA/Long Beach area is great if you are single, intend to rent and make $100k per year. On that salary you can get an apartment somewhat close to the beach, lease a nice car (no one actually buys a car here) and have $$$ left over to enjoy the restaurant, clubs, etc scene.

The problems start when you grow older and want to settle down. Starter home is going to run $500K - $600K (and you'll spend another 50K fixing it up). Have a kid and both of you will have to work to pay that mortgage so add another $1500K per month for childcare. Because you *only* spent $500K for a house - one of the schools you kid will attend is going suck (either elementary, middle or HS) guaranteed. At some point the kid will have to attend private school - figure $12K - $25K per year for that.

Now I love California - I love everything California represents (innovation, progressive ideals, the golden state where anything is possible). This is my home and I consider myself a Californian and an Angelino. But the state is nearly bankrupt, I pay 10% a year in state income tax, sales tax in Los Angeles is now 10% and neither the public schools, local governments or state is going to get better anytime soon.

If you're young then come and enjoy what SoCal has to offer, but unless you're making $500k a year I wouldn't think about putting down roots here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville