Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,510 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I see that a lot of people are moving from other locations to Chattanooga. Well I also is planning on moving to Chattanooga. I read all type of things on the internet about Tennessee, some good and some bad. Well we are african american and we are looking to move to a neighborhood that is half and half. We are looking to move the beginning of 2009 and we are retire military. We also want like the rural area. We are looking for more house and land for the money. Our price range is up to $200,000.00. My background is healthcare and my husband is military. So like quiet area with not a lot of crime. I was trying to research Chattanooga and looking up different sites on the net but I rather have word of mouth. They always say the best advertisement is word of mouth, and no one would know better than the residents of Chattanooga. I would appreciate if someone could please enlighten me on the area and location and where to go and not to go.

Thank You,
Softy77
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 04:32 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,612 times
Smile North Hamilton Co.

S: Hello , Welcome to the club- house. The more NOrth one goes in Hamilton co the more rural (Land lot size increae) lower house cost.
. South side of city has it;s share of police activity last few months.
Soddy -Daisy , Red bank, Dallas HOllow seem a good starting point for ya, you will be close to big county park , Chester Frost. Soddy has a very active Vietnam Vet club group and the town park on Dayton pike holds many military welcome home troop functions.
. We have enjoyed this area, close to the lake / boating very much the past two years. Cost of living / insurance very affordable to retire.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:19 PM

7 posts, read 33,536 times
georgetown.ooltewa,are more country and harrison .there are alot of drugs out here.people say same every where i dont agree comming from ct and also lived in nc.hamilton county highs schools where rated as drop out factorys.and there is alot of racism on both sides blk against wht and wht against blks it is discusting.jobs are scarce.health care is really needed but doesnt pay well.unless your a dr.i lived here 5 yrs and wished i didnt.i love where my house sits but hates anywhere out side my circle.chattanoogas a nice place to visit but woukldnt want to live there.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:04 AM

7 posts, read 14,922 times
Default new orleans to chatt

wow, sounds like new orleans! how dissapointing. am also trying to figure out neighborhoods (without any luck). the job i am applying to is in east ridge, in a nursing facility, and i will be there in 2 wks for my interview and would like to look for housiing while there. how is east ridge? what would be the best area to live in reference to that area? safe-single female-but not too much on the outskirts- want a social life.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:21 PM

53 posts, read 187,218 times
There are drugs everywhere!! My family lives in the boondocks of VA, and they just took out a meth lab from down the street, everyone was so shocked. We've been talking to people and searching to make up our minds for a year. Love the area and found everyone open and friendly. It all depends on the type of people you are interested in hanging out with, and if you put out neg vibes you will recieve neg back. I see prejudice and judgemental attitudes everywhere, doesn't matter what you're doing, someone will have something neg to say. There are alot of great posts on here, do some searching and read what people have to say as a whole and make your mind up that way. That's just my opinion. Good luck on the interview. come move out by us in E. Brainard, we dont' care what our neighbors look like, as long as they are decent christian people, friendly, and respectful to others.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:26 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
Drina, East Ridge has some nice neighborhoods so you may be able to live and work there. I am in Brainerd just across I24 from there and we are pretty happy with the area.

*Quick hijack* LUVS congrats on this coming together for you

Softy, how "rural" are we talking here? 2-5 acres? Neighborhood in rural area? Golf course close by? What's your flavor?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:49 AM

7 posts, read 14,922 times
jkmewrright, thanks- this is difficult trying to figure out online. i've been seeing brainerd, n chatt and hixson. like i said, i will be up there in 2 wks so any advice is helpful. by the way, any n'hoods i should avoid?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:54 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
Well, in most of Chattanooga you can pretty much define our good and bad areas pretty easily. E Ridge has mostly family neighborhoods and an area near Frawley Road with some decent apartments and duplexes. I can't think of a "bad" spot over that way right off the top of my head. It's a good place to start I think. Close to the freeway too so you can get anywhere quickly.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:45 PM

380 posts, read 1,178,687 times
Softy77, you might want to look into the Highway 58 area, particularly the northern area for a more rural feel and to be close to the lake and a couple of nice state parks. Keep in mind that this will increase your commute to work. But it is an affordable, safe, and pretty area.

Drina, East Ridge has some nice, affordable neighborhoods. Many of the homes are 40's and 50's cottages and ranch homes. Overall the area is safe and tidy, though there are some areas to avoid, as there are in parts of Brainerd, N. Chatt, and Hixson (all areas that I like). I currently live in East Ridge. The end of East Ridge closest to downtown is really convenient to everything. Our home is on the market right now (though we are in contract negotiations), so we typed up some helpful info for our out-of-town buyers. I can DM it to you as well as some real estate agent recommendations if you are interested. Good luck, and welcome to Chattanooga!

Old 06-09-2008, 04:55 PM

25 posts, read 56,684 times
I am a Philly native moving to Chatt by Sept (our home is currently under contract). was wondering if you could pass that information on!! It would be greatly appreciated!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga