Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 AM

28 posts, read 71,279 times

Advertisements

Best of luck CMM! Keep us posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:27 AM

323 posts, read 1,159,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmakerwife View Post
Best of luck CMM! Keep us posted!
You betcha I will.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM

15 posts, read 36,930 times
I got another generic email saying that I'm still in the process for consideration for a production job.

This is the third generic email I've gotten in 6 months.

Anyone else get these?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:09 AM

28 posts, read 71,279 times
CMM, Hubby just got a call, too. He has appt. on Thursday the 7th, for the 4 hour test. He is working 3rd shift, now in cmm programming. Great job, can't complain, but VW pays a bit more, better benefits.. Got to give it a shot anyway, he just hates to take a day off work from his present job.

He hasn't ever called off work, ever, and the last vacation time he ever took was in 2000. (Aside from the time he has been laid off, which we would never describe as a 'vacation') I hope this testing isn't for a lost cause.

Anyway, best of luck, we'll stay in touch on the forum...

Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,785 times
At least two parents on my son's soccer team are in Chattanooga because of VW. One is from Germany, and he said that VW moved lots of people here from other places to get things started. Eventually these temporary transplants would go back home and be replaced by local hires, but the process will take years. The other was a guy who works for a company that got a contract with VW. I think it was for security lighting? The game got exciting about then and I don't remember what he said. Anyway, he moved here from Chicago because his firm is opening a new office here, and presumably will be hiring local workers.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 9,299 times
Don't be surprised to be informed VW to "scale back production estimates" news later this Fall. If people cannot pay their existing mortgages, buy a home or secure employment to allow minimal optimism, WHO will by a $20,000-25,000 car?
VW has a cheaper labor pool in Mexico already producing 450,000 units per year. Oh, isn't that where the new engine plant was just placed? Yesterday? You have to wonder why they are here in the first place? I suspect O.O. ; i.e. Obama Optimism: remember the time frame VW announced its future plans for Chattanooga... June/July 2008. Before the waters began to recede... and sea levels change... All the waiting and hoping for what? $14/ hour which is about $22,500 a year after taxes, etc. I have gotten 2 "you're stil lin the running emails" in 2 month intervals after my May 2010 full day assessment at the RV Palace just off Bonny Oaks. Living off the government dole, enjoying food stamps AND I qualify for Free Lipitor from Pfizer! Life is good, so VW can keep me informed of my status in exacting 2 month intervals until the earth squeals and shudders to a halt.

Last edited by Devildog2/2; 09-23-2010 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 AM

I did some fact finding on the internet about supplier jobs. Chattanooga Seats was one and a few others. Bottomline, these suppliers expect to hire a TOTAL of 500 new positions later this Fall into the new year with a beginning wage of $10/hour. Of course, you heard that the new engine plant will not be located to Enterprise South, instead it will be in a town about 75 miles north of Mexico City. More cost efficient for me to stay home on the dole, recieve food stamps and still send my daughter to a private parochial school. I don't need the hassle of $10/ hour trying to survive, while killing myself for $300 a week. God bless you and your family. I have lost optimism about VW to say the least, but I will look forward to my 3rd email in November informing me that my status is still active.

Last edited by Devildog2/2; 09-23-2010 at 09:52 AM..

Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 AM

My worst suspicions about VW hiring have been validated by past posts: VW is running credit reports on private citizens, in direct violation of our enumerated 4th Amenment privacy rights stated under what we know to be the Bill of Rights, which are the first and most important amendements to our U.S. Constitution. I am not naive, in that VW is not alone is this criminal practice of these privacy violations. For any VW prols reading this, I will offer some other private matters you may find of interest: 1) I have never spanked my 6 y/o angel of a daughter, nor do I intend to start, and 2) my wife seldom likes to get on top. I mean what else of my private life to you deem your right to know that you are so interested in?
Private veteran citizens, such as myself, enduring the worst depression since the Great Depression of the 1930's MIGHT just have a problem with their credit scores, due to layoffs and the long term consequences of unemployment. This inclusive privacy violation by VW might help to explain to us all, the starts and sudden stops so lamented herein on these threads. Does anyone think that 35,000 citizens applying for jobs offering $14/ hour would all have stellar 760 credit scores? Shame on you.
Yes, my wife and I did have a 790 credit score once; I have bought and sold 2 homes, owned a sailboat and kept 2 new cars in the driveway at all times, until now. Now. Unemployed, renting, sold the sailboat when my daughter was born and one 11 year old truck in the driveway, just about to hit its first 100,000 mile mark. Weekly unemployment checks, monthly food stamps and free lunches at school for my daughter. That was then , this is now. So thank you VW for checking all of our private information and credit scores illegally and disallowing the new underclass minimal employment.
I wanted to work for you and do the best job my experience and honor would allow with other like minded individual citizens. I guess I will not be joining your collective matrix: where you feel that because I work for you, you can control me. That is not America and what you are doing is wrong.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,694 times
I feel very sorry for you, not only because you lost your job but also because of the anger you are feeling towards VW. Do you feel this way about all companies that have not hired you? VW is not responsible for the situation that you are currently in.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 PM

6 posts, read 11,639 times
All reputable corporations require a credit check and a background check when interviewing potential candidates........doesn't sound like any Amendments rights are violated. To me, just sounds like smart business practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga