Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,849 times

Advertisements

I was told that Kroger is considering a return to Chattanooga in the near future.

Red's (now Bi-Lo) was the one that ran Kroger outta town in the 1980's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 05:03 PM

243 posts, read 692,451 times
My parents still live in Chattanooga and mentioned that they've been hearing rumors that Kroger will be coming.

I remember when people freaked out about Publix coming to town because Bi-Lo is that bad. I wonder if the reaction will be the same for Kroger?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:27 PM

340 posts, read 1,511,751 times
I would love to see Kroger come back. A fine store and the more competition the better it will be for the consumer. I wonder if they could be reluctant due tot he TN liquor laws / wine in grocery stores issue. Perhaps they could build near costco in GA or something -- I'd go all the time.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 AM

243 posts, read 692,451 times
Kroger has a ton of stores in TN. We have 4 in NE TN and when I lived in Nashville we had Kroger, Publix, and Harris-Teeter. . . . so liquor laws aren't an issue.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:44 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,849 times
This was published back in August = UPDATED: Kroger, Publix reported as bidders for Bi-Lo | The Packer

I didn't know that Bi-Lo had filed bankruptcy. With the Kroger-owned distribution company (Peyton's Southeastern Distribution Center) in Cleveland, this looks very promising that Kroger would return to the Chattanooga market very soon.

Greenlife grocery chain in Chattanooga was recently bought out by Whole Foods Market.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 AM

352 posts, read 883,221 times
I love Bi-Lo and Publix. With coupons and there B1G1 sales , sometimes I just wind up paying the sales tax. Best trip to bilo was before coupons $120 , after $16. You can't beat that!

If you really, really want to save you should visit this website / www.southernsavers.com / This girl even lays out the sale prices , attaches the coupons and tells you what your bottom price will be.

I have excelled at CVS store more than any. I don't ever,ever pay for soap, shampoo,conditioner, razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes, hair products, toilet paper, coke products(sometimes) glade candles, sometimes cereal. If you have tots in diapers, this is the best place to get them for nothing or the bottom dollar.

When you visit the website, the tabs at the top show you all the stores. Click on the tabs!
Chattanoogas cheap, just have to know how to do it

Plus for dining out, be sure to visit all the 2 for 1 sites....WDEF News 12 | News, Weather and Sports for Chattanooga and the Tennessee Valley is having a sale on some of there 2 for 1 (instead of paying 25 for 50, you pay 12.50 for 50 for area restaurants)

Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 AM

20 posts, read 47,918 times
We have always tried to eat organic, free range and local products even though it does increase the cost many stores are now offering more at better prices but we so need a traders joes here to compete with greenlife so the prices there will come down( they are way too expensive on most items).

Just found the Earth Fare store on Gunbarrel road and was very impressed with the 10 minutes we had to look around before it closed at 9 pm. Will have to go back even though it is a long drive from North Chatt. Check out their website for coupons, deals and such.

Thanks for the heads up on link 41 can't wait to try it out.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:21 PM

155 posts, read 334,859 times
I may have just gotten used to it after a year+ of living here in Tennessee now. But I've been quite happy with Bi-Lo's prices for the last few months now. I've been getting some great savings with my bonus card. The other day I saved about 20-25% off my would've-been $100+ bill. So maybe it's not so bad after all. Still wish there was a Publix closer to where I live so that I could check them out, but oh well.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,866 times
I have the mentatlity that price is not everything. I hate wal-mart for multiple reasons, I was forced to go to that horrid place with a relative and checked their "low low prices" for the things I buy and not shocking to me they were either the same price or a penny or two lower and as for the eggs I buy they were more expensive, I will pass. I buy mostly organic and whole foods so Earthfare and Publix are where I shop most for quality, price, and selection. Cage free organic eggs are about .10 cents cheaper at Earthfare and their organic milk is cheaper. I have went to Bi-lo and they are much more expensive on those staples. As for the bread that I buy, publix is cheaper and it depends on sales weather Earthfare or Publix-greenwise are cheaper. As for greenlife...I thought once wholefoods bought them they would be a little bit better priced because of their buying power. WRONG!! I just go there to hang out and eat their prepared foods not to grocery shop

If you eat conventional foods Publix is usually your best bet for couponing. I know lots of couponers and they love publix because they let you stack coupons and take competitors coupons.

I love Publix Deli and Bakery! They are hands down the best!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:15 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waited4ever View Post
I have the mentatlity that price is not everything. I hate wal-mart for multiple reasons, I was forced to go to that horrid place with a relative and checked their "low low prices" for the things I buy and not shocking to me they were either the same price or a penny or two lower and as for the eggs I buy they were more expensive, I will pass. I buy mostly organic and whole foods so Earthfare and Publix are where I shop most for quality, price, and selection. Cage free organic eggs are about .10 cents cheaper at Earthfare and their organic milk is cheaper. I have went to Bi-lo and they are much more expensive on those staples. As for the bread that I buy, publix is cheaper and it depends on sales weather Earthfare or Publix-greenwise are cheaper. As for greenlife...I thought once wholefoods bought them they would be a little bit better priced because of their buying power. WRONG!! I just go there to hang out and eat their prepared foods not to grocery shop

If you eat conventional foods Publix is usually your best bet for couponing. I know lots of couponers and they love publix because they let you stack coupons and take competitors coupons.

I love Publix Deli and Bakery! They are hands down the best!
Since I drive a Suburban "Shopping" around for a few pennies less rarely makes up for the gas I burn . So If I'm in E Brainerd I'll hit Earth Fare. They are not always cheaper than Greenilfe / Wholefoods but on some items they are. I think Greenlife's produce if much better than Earthfare but I think Earthfare has a much better meat and fish counter with much better pricing.

BiLo is consistently high on organics. I mean WAAY higher than WF or EF. I can't make the discounts work driving to Publix either. Love Publix and if I'm in the neighborhood I'll stop and stock up on some items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga