Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:26 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times

Advertisements

I've been having an internal conflict with myself for the past few months...I keep waffling back and forth between what I should buy as a secondary vehicle; a 2008-2010 Covette or a 2009-2011 Caddy CTS are right at the top of that list. I want a convertible back and think the Corvette might be the right choice but then I think it'd be good to have a sedan to drive once in a while. I thought about a Caddy CTS-V but I wouldn't want the first model year and a 2010-2011 still seem to be priced over $50K which is appx. $10K more than I want to spend on a weekend driver.

I'm really intrigued by the new ATS but I want to see it in person. IF it can truly compete with the 3-Series and was priced right, I'd strongly consider buying one (ATS-V would be great ). I love my pickup truck and will always have one as my daily driver but when I take trips on the weekends, the gas mileage really sticks my wallet. Next year I'll probably trade up to a new F-150 with the Ecoboost, hopefully that'll offset my gas costs a bit!

ATS, anyone else interested? When will I finally be able to look at one up-close?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
According to Cadillac, "summer 2012." So figure July/August.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Likewise. Given the direction BMW has gone, there's definitely an opening for someone else to come in and make the 3-series that BMW used to make. Cadillac is probably in the best position to do that aside from maybe Infiniti. Both really would have to introduce a new model to do so, especially with the sedan... the G sedan is more 5-series sized although with each 3 getting bigger lazier. Of course, BMW could stop dicking around and bring the full lineup of 1-series over and price them realistically instead 10% off 3 series price.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
why not just a used M3? It's the real deal, not a pretender.

If you're just using it for weekend roadtrips, reliability & maintenance shouldn't really be an issue. Honestly, there's no use in buying a brand new car just for fun since you'll lose more on depreciation than anything else.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
According to Cadillac, "summer 2012." So figure July/August.
Sounds good to me, I hate the waiting game but I hope to be impressed enough by the ATS to pull the trigger.

Quote:

If you're just using it for weekend roadtrips, reliability & maintenance shouldn't really be an issue. Honestly, there's no use in buying a brand new car just for fun since you'll lose more on depreciation than anything else.
I'm not a fan of German cars, I just don't see the value in them. I'd much rather have an American sedan or sports car. Besides, I really don't care for the look of the M3...it's fairly boring.

Not asking for advice about depreciation, I don't really care. I'll have a budget of around $40K to get a secondary vehicle and because the ATS is competing with the 3-Series, I imagine a fairly well-equipped one is going to be at that price point.

If I could swing a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible at the moment, I'd be all over it but they're all selling for in excess of $50K...same goes for a 2010 or 2011 CTS-V.

Right now I'm just weighing my options, trying to decide what I really want. I think another 'Vette would be fun but then I think maybe a sedan might be more practical. I thought about a Caddy XLR but then I didn't know if I really wanted to have possible issues with the Northstar if I don't drive this vehicle very often. Thought about a 2011 CTS Coupe but if I bought a coupe, I'd rather have a convertible two-door.

Once in a while I just want something different to drive, not to mention a bit less thirsty. IDEALLY, I'd really like to have my F-150 along with both a Corvette Grand Sport Convertible AND a CTS-V Sedan. To me, that'd be about as perfect garage as possible. Unfortunately, idealism doesn't pay the price tags...

I have a 3 car garage and my F-150 is pretty lonely.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
For a weekend car, I'd probably go with a convertible.

Then again, I'd rather have (and do have) a sedan as a daily driver instead of a pickup truck.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Practical? Come on. You know you really don't want practical. Get the Corvette you know you already love.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Practical? Come on. You know you really don't want practical. Get the Corvette you know you already love.
I'm searching around but there seems to be a shortage of 2008-2010 Corvette convertibles in the Phoenix area at the moment. I've been actively looking for a few weeks and haven't found "the one" yet. Preferably I want a manual tranny convertible but an automatic may suffice if the price is right. I'm a stickler for colors on a sports car and it either has to be red, yellow, or blue preferably with a black interior. So far I've come up with nothing that fits my criteria for around $40K. I'm currently having my brother search around Dallas to see if he finds any good deals.

If I don't find a 'Vette before the ATS comes out, I may have an even MORE difficult decision on my hands.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:32 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post

The E46 is getting old though... It's a 7+ year-old car at this point. Reliability begins to go down around that age pretty substantial and cars continue to get better. Since BMW is making a different breed of the 3 (and M3) these days, a modern pretender just may well be the best modernized E46 available. Or it might not.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
While I like the ATS, it's a car that doesn't deserve the title "Weekend Car."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC