Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:43 PM

15 posts, read 86,126 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am still looking to find the right spot to move to. It's tough when you are out of town to really know what the actual reputations are of the schools. The school report cards are helpful, but I want to know how the locals feel about the schools. I really hate gangs more than anything. They are truly despicable in every way. I am curious. What schools are known for gang problems and what schools are known to not have gang problems??? I am mainly looking at schools in Dupage County and St. Charles East in Kane.

Thanks to anyone who responds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 03:49 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
As far as I have heard, there is NOT a lot of problems with gangs in SCE.I know hs kids too and they NEVER mention anything. Although there is going to be minor problems in every school as there are always some bad individuals. Or gang-banger "wannabees".

Aurora schools some could be bad - as there is a big latin king presence in certain parts of aurora I know.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Aurora, Elgin, Streamwood, Carpentersville, West Chicago, Joliet. Those are the towns that I would steer clear of. I used to do a lot of research on gangs in high school for a project, even did some graffitti removal and sat through police seminars. Not only are the Latin Kings present, but you also have the Gangster Disciples, the Vice Lords, Conservative Vice Lords, Latin Eagles, Latin Queens, Satan Disciples, Overlords, Ambrose, 13's, etc, etc. Theyve quieted down it seems in the last 5-10 years, due to big crackdowns. However, some cities, like Aurora, are seeing a resurgence, but not in a big way. Some neighborhoods in Chicago still struggle big time with gangs, sadly.

Towns that are safe? South Elgin, Bartlett, Warrenville, Winfield, Naperville, Plainfield, Wasco, Wayne, Barrington, Wheaton, Lisle, Geneva, St. Charles, Hinsdale, Schaumburg, Westmont, etc, etc, etc. There are LOTS more towns that are AOK compared to the ones with gang "problems".

Old 07-09-2007, 04:56 PM

94 posts, read 466,954 times
Satan Disciples lol jeeeez.

I always look at the ring of chicago land, or if its north south. North suburbs have good schools, until you start to get waay north liek waukegan

most inner ring burbs especially west and south bad,
north and north west inner ring burbs are decent,
Middle ring burbs are okay, places like hinsdale, roselle, glen ellyn, lisle
Outer ring burbs usually not okay, lake in the hills, carpentersville, elgin, aurora, joliet.

Last edited by linicx; 10-26-2009 at 04:59 AM..

Old 07-09-2007, 05:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Satan Disciples lol jeeez...

I always look at the ring of chicago land, or if its north south. North suburbs have good schools, until you start to get waay north liek waukegan

most inner ring burbs especially west and south bad,
north and north west inner ring burbs are decent,
Middle ring burbs are okay, places like hinsdale, roselle, glen ellyn, lisle
Outer ring burbs usually not okay, lake in the hills, carpentersville, elgin, aurora, joliet.
Yeah, theyre known as the S-D's, noone really calls them Satan Disciples.

As for your analysis, Id disagree on a few.

Inner-ring burbs (spare Oak Park) are not that great, true.
North and NW inner burbs are pretty decent, true.
Middle ring burbs are AOK, borderline mega-rich (ie Hinsdale, etc)
Outer ring burbs are very nice, with the exception of Elgin and Aurora, and still, both of those towns have super nice areas as well.

Last edited by linicx; 10-26-2009 at 05:47 AM..

Old 07-09-2007, 08:59 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,172 times
"Inner-ring burbs (spare Oak Park) are not that great, true."

Spare evanston, lincolnwood, river forest, niles, park ridge, etc. as well

Old 07-09-2007, 09:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
There are no schools within 100 miles of the Loop that are not infested by gangs. Even uppity schools like New Trier have them. Although there are dozens of gangs, they are all basically part of 2 big "nations". One is the Peoples Nation and gangs like the Latin Kings belong to this. They use a 5 point star and an upward facing pitchfork as their symbol. Members of this gang often wear Converse All Star shoes. The other gang nation is the Folks Nation. To this belong gangs like the Black Gangster Disciple Nation. They use a six point star and a pitchfork turned downward as their symbol. How much control they have over a school is the only question you need an answer to. If they are a small group of rebels, you need not worry about them too much. But if they are a larger and more organized group that has considerable control and influence over the daily operation and administration of the school, then you adopt. You can either join the gang or "nation" yourself or just remain neutral "a neutron". Whatever you do you will not want to wear the symbols of the other nation because, while gangs of a nation are usually allied, gangs of the other nation are sworn enemies. And there are no schools that have both nations in them. Either one or the other runs the show at each school.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:03 AM

22 posts, read 130,276 times
Please be advised that we, over 50 adults, have lived in the unincorporated area of West Chicago, north of North Avenue between Wayne and Bartlett in Oak Meadows for 16 years. Have never seen a gang member or even know anyone here who has. Our neighborhood is wonderful and safe. Taxes are much more reasonable than in the bigger cities around us. We are in an area that has close shopping in St. Charles on one side, Bloomingdale on the other, two train stations to choose from and a prairie path nearby. A golf course right across the highway is a plus too. What more do you want?
I take offense when people use names of towns in terms of a downgrade. Each city and town in the suburbs has a "bad side of town". Everyone knows that but won't admit it. Sort of like using names as a status symbol. That gets very old. I say, go where you are comfortable and can afford that city's cost of living.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Please don\\\'t be going and making misleading statements incinuating that all southern burb\\\'s schools are bad because they are not. Around Harvey and Riverdale, they might have problems, but burbs with schools like Lockport (Porters), Sandburg (Eagles), Lincoln Way (Tigers), Andrew (Thunderbolts), Tinley Park (Titans), Oak Forest (Bangles) and Stagg (Chargers) have great schools and in some cases those are mega rich kid schools (Lincoln Way, Sandburg) so please remember the south west side burbs, there isn\\\'t a gang problem that I know of other than for a few trouble makers here and there but the schools are all extrememly nice.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
"Inner-ring burbs (spare Oak Park) are not that great, true."

Spare evanston, lincolnwood, river forest, niles, park ridge, etc. as well
and spare Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn, Burbank, Marionette Park and Alsip :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs