Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM

13 posts, read 36,774 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are putting in an offer on a house in Fox River Grove. We are relocating to Chicago for my husband's work. I, however, don't have a job. I found a great opportunity for a place in Evanston, but the commute seems a little far. Google maps say about 30 miles, or 1 hour, but how would this be with traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 02:01 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
I pretty much do this commute on some fridays/mondays to pick my son up from Lake Zurich. Any way you slice it, it's horrible. I've tried using Rand RD to Dempster, and I've also used Northwest HWY. I've come to find that most surface streets are not that great in the morning.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
I will second "horrible". Any way you slice it, its a commute to be avoided, I dont know of any easy way. I dont know any way it could be 30 minutes, even at 3 am.
If the job is worth it, you should consider another suburb closer to Evanston.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
There is no way that you could do that in an hoiur at any time day / night. I suspect that taking Metra to Union Station and then taking Metra back to Evanston, which might take over two hours, is only about 20 minutes longer than driving at the best possible time / route. During a normal rush hour I suspect the Metra option would be very close to a wash -- to put this in perspective, assuming a normal 8 hour work day plus hour lunch one would likely be in away from home for 13 hours a day...

Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisheyd View Post
My husband and I are putting in an offer on a house in Fox River Grove. We are relocating to Chicago for my husband's work. I, however, don't have a job. I found a great opportunity for a place in Evanston, but the commute seems a little far. Google maps say about 30 miles, or 1 hour, but how would this be with traffic?
Another BIG consideration: where does your husband work?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,815 times
One word: YUCK!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
There is no east-west expressway that far north that can make that commute bearable. There is no scenic route. There is no quick route. It will be stop and go all the way, all the time. An hour commute sounds about right when the weather is good and traffic is moving. Plan on a whole lot longer in winter. I lived all my life on the northside and in northern suburbs of Chicago until a few years ago, and the one thing I always wanted to see was an expressway that would link the lakefront to the western and northwestern suburbs. That isn't every going to happen.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 PM

131 posts, read 453,695 times
I grew up in FRG....the sayings is "you cant get there from here" You will be miserable if you try to commute from FRG to Evanston.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 PM

3,446 posts, read 3,374,590 times
So I'm slightly confused(sorry to say), so is this job located in Fox River Grove or the city of Chicago?

I personally wouldn't go for that house in Evanston. If it's possible at all(and that job is in FRG), why don't you look in suburbs like Park Ridge, Arlington Heights, or heck, any communities along the UP-Northwest Metra line? Heck, even Des Plaines would probably have some decent deals on housing as well, and their library is kick-***.

Just wish you had been more specific with where that new job is in, so I could give you the best and most clear advise possible.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There is no way that you could do that in an hoiur at any time day / night. I suspect that taking Metra to Union Station and then taking Metra back to Evanston, which might take over two hours, is only about 20 minutes longer than driving at the best possible time / route. During a normal rush hour I suspect the Metra option would be very close to a wash -- to put this in perspective, assuming a normal 8 hour work day plus hour lunch one would likely be in away from home for 13 hours a day...
Point of information: UP trains land at Ogilvie Transportation Center, (OTC) not Union Station. It is also possible to transfer at Clybourn, don't know if that saves any time. Your monthly from FRG to OTC will be honored on the train to Evanston. Chief advantage to this is your ability to make use of your time.

Last edited by pvande55; 02-10-2011 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Define abbreviation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs