Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 AM

238 posts, read 567,954 times

Advertisements

My friend is being relocated to Barrington, IL. She's never been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
Yes, Barrington is a nice area. It is a very wealthy area, I believe that is where Walter Payton lived when he was alive.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
My friend is being relocated to Barrington, IL. She's never been.
Nice area, very rich folks live there. Some decent shopping near Higgins and Rt. 59, but youd need to head into Schaumburg to shop till you drop. I take it your friend is very wealthy? There are 20 million dollar homes in Barrington, if that gives you any idea.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:40 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
i would consider barrington a new money suburb, with lots of mcmansions and "keeping up with the joneses"/flaunting wealth. whereas i see the north shore more as old money.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:46 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Barrington is nice,great schools and convinient shopping,very pretty lakes and wooded with hilly areas.Gorgeous homes.I dont hang around with anyone who "keeps up with the Jones'es" (which,sadly, are types of people found in ALL nice burbs) but after 20 years here,I can tell you thats NOT the majority.It is new money but lots and lots of old chicago money as well.Also,a great many "regular" folks in nice homes in nice neighborhoods.Not EVERYONE is Daddy Warbucks

Old 08-29-2007, 07:11 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,172 times
Again, there is a difference between the town of barrington and the town of barrington hills.

Barrington=upper middle class, older homes, railroad suburb. Wealthy but not ridiculously so.

Barrington Hills=multimillion dollar homes with lots of land. Ridiculously wealthy.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 PM

92 posts, read 445,866 times
Yeah, I think more of the REALLY wealthy people live in Barrington Hills or South Barrington. The town of Barrington itself has a cute little downtown area, and is not so over the top wealthy, as the other two I mentioned.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
I will concur with all of the above. A job in Barrington that pays less than 100K will mean you will be forced to live somewhere nearby, but not Barrington or Barrington Hills. Fortunately, there are middle class suburbs within 10 miles of the area.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:49 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
MDZ is right,I live in Barrington Hills.Yes,old,serious wealth is here,but I can assure you,they are not the ones "keeping up with the Jones"(and you cant see most of these homes as they are on huge acerage).We moved here 20 years ago because of the land and beautiful property,not the norm for chicago burbs.And non of my kids is a trust fund baby -they had to work for their own spending money since they were of age (and not one owns Prada shoes.) There are normal,hard working,people to be found in the "hills",I assure you.You dont need an elevator in my house.Its horse country too,so its hard to keep up with the Jones with horse poop under your fingernails Keeping up appearances in Barrington Hills is like other burbs,they buy a lovely old home,tear it town to put up a McMansion that looks like all the other ones only with a gated drive and fountain ,or theres "Wynstone",,New money but North shore old money wannabes.I think its the law in Wynstone that you MUST drive a Hummer or be forced into exile.That kind of person is everywhere,,"see what I have,not what I am".... I am sitting outside right now in my robe,watching the wildlife,the only sound is birds.No neighbors house in site. This is what I love about it,maybe many wouldnt,too quiet and away from hubs,,,but Its a special place for me.(And I Ignore the boring snobs should I encounter one,,,,and dont we all encounter them from time to time no matter where we live ?)

Old 08-30-2007, 07:22 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,172 times
nanannie, the unfortunate aspect of posting about a certain place is that it's easy to generalize--I'm glad you were able to find a place to live in such a nice area and still keep your kids' heads on right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs