Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:59 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn522 View Post
My husband has been working in the Chicago area for some years. We have wanted to move closer to Chicago, but have had a hard time finding housing that met our needs (safe, affordable, accomodates 3 children...) He has recently been offered a sublet on a condo that is owned by a friend. I know nothing about the Warrenville area, we have always looked in Tinley Park/Mokena areas. How do the two areas compare? My husband says the commute time from Warrenville isn't a factor for him, as his working area differs on a regular basis (he isn't office based, but rather "out in the field").

Things that are important to us:

Safe neighborhood - the friend and my husband who has visited the friend often say this neighborhood is very quiet and safe. What about Warrenville on the whole? The information I've found seems to say it is relatively safe.

Variety of churches within easy driving distance - we don't have a church home at this time, but I'm looking for one. I grew up Presbyterian and have gone to a Baptist church as an adult. I was also introduced to the Lutheran church as a child and loved it, I'd like to have access to several different churches to see which one best fits our needs at this time, as well as finding one that we can benefit the church body.

Secular homeschool groups - We homeschool, but not for religious purposes. I've found a lovely secular homeschool group where we are now, and it kind of makes my head hurt to think of starting over in that search. We just want some peer interaction for the kids, the opportunity to go on field trips together, maybe some organized activities or a co-op. I don't necessarily want or need one that offers a lot of classes, and I've found that, as someone who isn't homeschooling due to religious beliefs, I don't always have a lot to talk about in a group that is billed as Christian homeschoolers. We will be moving too far from our home to continue with the group we are in now.

YMCA - we have active children and would like to find a good, clean, safe YMCA within driving distance. Having homeschool opportunities at the Y (swim classes, art classes, PE, etc...) would be a huge bonus!

This one might be harder: Speech Language Pathologists and Occupational Therapists for children. One of our children has been diagnosed with a severe language disorder (MERLD) and sensory issues. He is receiving therapy for his language problems with a SLP who is familiar with MERLD (and this is not therapy about producing clearly articulated speech, it is therapy for a deficit in understanding spoken language and also vocabulary deficits due to his disorder). He has also been diagnosed with SPD, sensory processing disorder, and requires Occupational Therapy for that. Even names of therapists/clinics, located in the area or close by, that I could call would be greatly appreciated. Again, we will be moving too far from our home to continue with the therapists we see now.

Most of the rest of what I wanted to know I've found by "googling", but these are stumping me. Any information you can pass along would be great.
So this move is predicated by a sublease in Warrenville? What other factors are motivating this move? Seems like you have a good school environment for your children and a good support network where you are currently
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 05:25 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
People keep talking about Wheaton being the bible belt but that was forty or fifty years ago. Wheaton is no longer dry and it is home to a diverse cross section of people. In fact there are three big Catholic churches in Wheaton and a Sikh temple down the street from me. There may even be atheists here. Plenty of main line Protestants and an odd Unitarian or so. And some of us even celebrate Halloween and read Harry Potter.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:47 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
People keep talking about Wheaton being the bible belt but that was forty or fifty years ago. Wheaton is no longer dry and it is home to a diverse cross section of people. In fact there are three big Catholic churches in Wheaton and a Sikh temple down the street from me. There may even be atheists here. Plenty of main line Protestants and an odd Unitarian or so. And some of us even celebrate Halloween and read Harry Potter.
Wheaton is for sure the most religious and "goody goody" chicago suburb hands down. Wheaton is not technically dry, but is very strict on liquor laws as in it doesn't allow liquor stores, bars, or advertisements of alcohol such as signs in windows.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 PM

Yes that is true about the liquor laws being strict but most people who live here are good about that. Plenty of other places near by to go to a regular bar if you want. Most of the restaurants have bars within them that you can go to.

As far as being goody good and religious, I do not know. I would say that a majority of people here affiliate with some kind of church and people are on the Republican side of the political spectrum.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Got to get up to date!

Three wine bars in two blocks:

wine bar loc: Wheaton, IL - Google Maps

Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Three wine bars in two blocks:

wine bar loc: Wheaton, IL - Google Maps
Two are actually restaurants with a wine bar in them. Only one is an actual wine store/bar.

It was actually just allowed a few years ago that they lifted the no liquor stores ban, but to only allow wine stores/bars.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:49 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
I did a Master's degree at Wheaton Coilege about ten years ago ... and I'm an Orthodox Christian, not an evangelical Protestant (went there because of options provided by the grad program in psychology). The Wheaton College alumni board and board of directors are extremely conservative, not so many of the undergrads and fellow grad students or psych faculty I ran into ... saw as many tramp stamps and body piercings on undergrads as I'd see at a secular school. By the way, faculty and grad students can now drink at Wheaton College, but it's still dry (wink, wink) for undergrads.

By the way, the most famous graduate of Wheaton College after Billy Graham is probably Wes Craven, director of "Nightmare on Elm Street" ...

Old 10-20-2012, 07:28 PM

Most of us living in Wheaton have never even met someone from or affiliated with Wheaton college. I know I never have. And by the way there is a real Elm Street in wheaton so maybe that is where he got the name from.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:21 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Most of us living in Wheaton have never even met someone from or affiliated with Wheaton college. I know I never have. And by the way there is a real Elm Street in wheaton so maybe that is where he got the name from.
That is in fact where Craven got the name (though none of the addresses in the movie are real).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs