Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,717,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
The problem with Bolingbrook is that there is no Metra service there. If your husband is planning on commuting by train, then Bolingbrook would not be ideal. If you like the look of the houses in Bolingbrook but want Metra service, look into:

--west side of Aurora--there is a Metra station in downtown Aurora
--far east Aurora/west Naperville near the Route 59 station

Both Aurora and Naperville have "walkable" downtowns, with Naperville's being much more desirable than Aurora's; however, both suburbs are very large and you would be able to find the type of house you are looking for without having to be in their downtown areas.

Some other spots to consider would be Tinley Park, Orland Park, Mokena, or New Lenox. These are all southwest suburbs with Metra service, newer housing stock, and fairly close to a UU congregation in Joliet.
Why would you tell them to move away from BB because a lack of Metra service? They could just drive into the Lisle or Naperville station so why would they live in BB but drive all the way to the RT.59 or Aurora station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,953,673 times
I would skip Bolingbrook and look into Naperville which is a really nice area and has a nice downtown. A walkable downtown usually means walk from your home to the downtown area. However some suburbs have no town core. In other words there is no town just subdivisions. Personally I am not fond of these. The towns that are the nicest and along train lines in Dupage are Naperville, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, and Elmhurst. There are others as well such as Lisle and Westmont. I am mentioning the ones I think are the nicest, have nice little towns and might have something in your price range. There are plenty of people home schooling in dupage. There is a Unitarian church in North naperville. All of these places have modern suburban homes. That is not generally the case in Skokie which has housing stock that was largely built in the fifties and sixties. I would skip Skokie. To me Aurora is too far away and I do not much like it so I would skip that in favor of the places I mentioned.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM

382 posts, read 825,833 times
Walkable downtowns generally are towns on a train line that have lots of shops, restaurants and things to do. The nicest in the SW burbs are usually considered to be la grange, Hinsdale, wheaton, glen ellyn, Naperville, downers grove and elmhurst.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,277,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I would skip Bolingbrook and look into Naperville which is a really nice area and has a nice downtown. A walkable downtown usually means walk from your home to the downtown area. However some suburbs have no town core. In other words there is no town just subdivisions. Personally I am not fond of these. The towns that are the nicest and along train lines in Dupage are Naperville, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, and Elmhurst. There are others as well such as Lisle and Westmont. I am mentioning the ones I think are the nicest, have nice little towns and might have something in your price range. There are plenty of people home schooling in dupage. There is a Unitarian church in North naperville. All of these places have modern suburban homes. That is not generally the case in Skokie which has housing stock that was largely built in the fifties and sixties. I would skip Skokie. To me Aurora is too far away and I do not much like it so I would skip that in favor of the places I mentioned.
Absolutely agree. I would also encourage them to visit Arlington Heights, Palatine and Barrington since they are close to the Palatine church location. Just to contrast with the W burbs. I have never read about parking issue along the Metra NW line and you are closer to O'Hare which is a plus. I do have to say the DuPage towns you mentioned would be on my list if I was new to the area.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 AM

29 posts, read 52,238 times
I used to homeschool and am considering it again. I found it very difficult to meet non-fundamentalists in DuPage co. Most of the hs classes include things like Creationism as part of science here. While you still may not meet many hs'ers in Skokie, you would be so much closer to the museums and all that Chicago offers. If you move into Chicago proper, you can choose an online school that offers the K12 curriculum for free. You are still tied to a charter school but it is a neat program.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:01 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
Default I'd really like to see any evidence for that...

Highly doubtful. I taught science in public and PRIVATE high schools and NEVER encountered ANYONE that gave even a moment's thought to "creation science"...

Additionally, having lived in both the city and the suburbs AND worked at some of the science museums in Chicago I can state empathically that the surbanites are MASSIVELY over represented in both the attendance counts and membership rosters of the museums. There are a large number of actual working PhD scientists in the region due to presence of TWO DOE national labs, numerous R&D facilities and healthcare centers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForEden View Post
I used to homeschool and am considering it again. I found it very difficult to meet non-fundamentalists in DuPage co. Most of the hs classes include things like Creationism as part of science here. While you still may not meet many hs'ers in Skokie, you would be so much closer to the museums and all that Chicago offers. If you move into Chicago proper, you can choose an online school that offers the K12 curriculum for free. You are still tied to a charter school but it is a neat program.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,650,746 times
^I assumed she was talking about homeschooling curriculums when she spoke of creationism being taught. If not, then I am also confused.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^I assumed she was talking about homeschooling curriculums when she spoke of creationism being taught. If not, then I am also confused.
Yes, I was referring to homeschool courses-- not high school. Expect anti-gay attitudes,too. One hs'ing mom let me know she was opposed to interracial couples, too (which DH and I are).

Old 10-25-2012, 09:03 AM

Example of a very popular hs program here:

http://www.thelearningvine.org/science---grades1-8.html

Or, check out EDGE. They also show they teach science from the Creationist view: Gym & Enrichment FAQ | EDGE Homeschoolers.com

Old 10-25-2012, 01:16 PM

247 posts, read 689,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Why would you tell them to move away from BB because a lack of Metra service? They could just drive into the Lisle or Naperville station so why would they live in BB but drive all the way to the RT.59 or Aurora station?
I'm not suggesting they live in BB and drive to Rt. 59 or the Aurora station. I'm suggesting that they live in Aurora near one of those two stations.

As far as driving to the Metra stations in downtown Naperville or Lisle from Bolingbrook, I would not want to drive for 20 minutes (or more, depending where you live in BB) and then ride a train for 30 minutes (or more) to get to work each day. Much easier to live closer to the station. The OP stated that they did not care about a walkable downtown, so no need to live near the Naperville station. I don't know much about the area around the Metra station in Lisle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs