Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:10 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,088,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
The major scientific minds in this country know that we are running out of oil more quickly than alternatives are being developed.
That exact claim has been made again and again for over 100 years.

Maybe they're right this time, but ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
one word: children
A major factor. School funding has to be revised somehow so that Chicago and inner-ring suburban schools can get to a more level playing field with suburban schools -- which have much greater freedom in taxation and to build new schools. That would be a great starting point in addressing the issue of sprawl.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 PM

338 posts, read 617,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
A major factor. School funding has to be revised somehow so that Chicago and inner-ring suburban schools can get to a more level playing field with suburban schools -- which have much greater freedom in taxation and to build new schools. That would be a great starting point in addressing the issue of sprawl.
I really don't think that this is the huge problem it's made out to be,BRU. Over the past 15 years, Cicero has built BEAUTIFUL new schools, parks, and other ammenities that have been promptly trashed by the community's residents. In a few weeks,Cicero's district 99 is going to hold a public hearing because they want a 7% raise in taxes. I didn't get a 7% raise and I think it's indicative of the "gimme more" mentality. And I don't believe more money is necessarily the solution. It starts with the Family. People avoid the inner-ring because they see filth, gangs, increased crime and graffitti. That's not a p.c. view but it's the truth.

The inner-ring suburbs are second to none with outstanding location, solid housing stock, etc. but until crime is acknowledged and addressed nothing will change. Kids need freedom of movement and that's what they are denied in many of the close-in towns.

By the way, Berwyn, Cicero, Maywood, Melrose, Northlake, Lyons, Forest Park and even the kings of the western suburbs, Oak Park, River Forest, and Riverside have LOTS of homeschooling families. Many people just avoid the school mess altogether.

I love my home and the friends I have here but sooner or later I will be forced to move,not because I want to, but because personal safety trumps convenience,culture,and a beautiful one-of-a-kind home any day.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:49 PM

338 posts, read 617,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I dont think its negative at all- but a choice. I live on 6 acres,lots of trees,lots of privacy. I can skinny dip, have coffee in the morning outside in my pjs, stroll around my property enjoying nature, never hear a peep from neighbors, (but know them just fine ). My son goes down the drive on his bike and visits his pal on the block. No, no trick or treaters, but we have always gone to a relatives party for that.I think its a real privelege to have that space,nature,animals, peace and beauty and be within an hour of a big city. I could care less that people cant see my house when they drive by,WHO CARES??? . If you want open space and neighbors that can watch your every move, fine,but thats not my idea of ideal living-I'll take the privacy--fiile this under 'different strokes'.
Sounds like a dream to me!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
I really don't think that this is the huge problem it's made out to be,BRU. Over the past 15 years, Cicero has built BEAUTIFUL new schools, parks, and other ammenities that have been promptly trashed by the community's residents. In a few weeks,Cicero's district 99 is going to hold a public hearing because they want a 7% raise in taxes. I didn't get a 7% raise and I think it's indicative of the "gimme more" mentality. And I don't believe more money is necessarily the solution. It starts with the Family. People avoid the inner-ring because they see filth, gangs, increased crime and graffitti. That's not a p.c. view but it's the truth.
This becomes a "chicken or egg" argument. Good schools attract good residents, and bad schools deter good residents from moving to the community. Residents who value education tend to help reduce crime rates and gang activity. Better schools take more than just money, but you have to be willing and able to fund them and make them a priority in order for them (and the community as a whole) to have any realistic chance of improving. You can't just say, "oh well, they trashed the schools, let's put the Militia on the street and all will be well." Isn't going to happen, especially if your tax base starts declining and you take in less and less money to fund police. Crime has to be addressed directly, no doubt, but you can't ignore the schools either. They work hand in hand.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:51 AM

4 posts, read 11,400 times
I moved from the suburbs to the north side about 4 years ago, Belmont and Broadway area, I absolutely hated it. There is no parking, and I love my car (it is not possible to own a nice car and not have it get dinged up and bumped into on a daily basis, I had to leave my vette at my parents house), I hate to have to rely on gross public transportation.

There is no room for personal space, everywhere you go there is other people, the only way to get away from everyone is to your cramped apartment.

I personally couldn’t handle it as of six months ago and moved back to the suburbs. I now have my own yard with lots of room, I can park my car outside in my driveway!, I can drive anywhere I want and not worry about people breaking into my car and I can also find parking right away .

Everyone saying there are no great local restaurants in the suburbs obviously haven’t spent any time out there, as there are plenty. Some of the best bars around Chicago are in the suburbs as well.

Over all if you like your space, and don’t like crime and drunk people messin with your stuff and your car all night, you will enjoy the suburbs.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:02 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamen View Post
There is no room for personal space, everywhere you go there is other people, the only way to get away from everyone is to your cramped apartment.
God forbid you might have to rub some elbows with your common man.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,192,341 times
The suburban infrastructure (particularly in places like Schaumburg) did not plan for the number of cars on their roads. I've been in worse jams in the 'burbs than I ever was in the city. There are highways in the city but in the suburbs you are out of luck. That's where you rub bumpers with your fellow suburban dwellers.

All the new concrete has also worsend the runoff of rainwater in the suburbs. That makes for floods, and the concrete increases the temps in the summer and lowers them in the winter. These are just some new developments so people can make informed decisions.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:14 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,620,678 times
I think the bottom line is there is positive points and negative points to both city and burb. To each his own.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
God forbid you might have to rub some elbows with your common man.
God forbid someone might want a little space for his own mental health. Dude, he moved to the suburbs. You make it sound like he retreated to a mountaintop shack in Nepal. Good God, what is it with you? Why are you so vitriolic toward anybody's preferences but your own? Live and let live, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs