Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:32 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Interesting thread, folks, but I have to challenge this point, which has come up by a few folks. How are developers to blame, exactly? Yes, developers are building spread-out tract housing in far-flung exurbs, but obviously there are plenty of people who want those homes. Should the developers not build those homes out of sheer principle? Personal choice be damned, legal zoning and entitlements be damned, they should all just agree not to build any more exurban homes? Or do you think that the developers should build greater density out there - which, by the way, they'd be happy to do if zoning allowed it?
Absolutely density should be greater. I would have much less problems if that were the case. And again, I dont have problems with development per se. But it can be done so much better and smarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 09:36 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's OK, developers here in the city get blamed for building too dense in residential areas and increasing traffic, oh and for driving up property values and driving the poor out too. They just can't catch a break, so they'll just keep on building as long as people keep buying and they'll take it from both sides as they head to the bank.
For the record, I hate NIMBYS. if you move downtown, dont ***** when a skyscraper is unveiled 2 blocks away.

Last edited by via chicago; 12-07-2007 at 10:02 PM..

Old 12-08-2007, 08:09 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Absolutely density should be greater. I would have much less problems if that were the case.
Again, I'm not disputing the point that development could be done better or smarter, but putting the blame on the developers misses the point. More density means more homes to sell means more money for the developers. Developers will happily build more density, except when (a) zoning doesn't allow it, or (b) the market won't buy it. So blame the towns, or blame the lack of regional transportation planning, but blaming developers (which is a favorite pastime of do-nothing aldermen and city planners) is to miss the real source of the problem.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
Just curious why city dwellers are so h*ll bent on discouraging people that want space and low crime to move to the suburbs.

It's a good thing people like different things--

As far as the city having unique restaurants-- I see more chains downtown than in the burbs. everytime i go downtown I see plenty of locals flooding the lettuce-NOT-surprise-you restaurants; the steak houses Ruth Chris's, Mortons, smith & wolenskies, etc and dont forget the city dwellers favorite--Rainforest Cafe!!!!
I think you have it opposite do you not? Most people that go to the Lettuce's, Rainforest and more are suburbanites,tourists, and transplants. Your point is what?

Old 12-08-2007, 10:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
It never occurred to me that there was something specifically wrong with eating at LEYE restaurants. Not all of them are obvious, corny tourist pits ya know.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
It never occurred to me that there was something specifically wrong with eating at LEYE restaurants.
Actually they are not that bad. I avoid them for certain reasons which are too complex to explain, but I especially like L Woods!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Actually they are not that bad. I avoid them for certain reasons which are too complex to explain, but I especially like L Woods!
I'm partial to Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba myself.

I'd be interested to see you make an attempt at your complex explanation of why you tend to avoid them.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I'm partial to Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba myself.

I'd be interested to see you make an attempt at your complex explanation of why you tend to avoid them.
It would take too much time. I have no ill will towards the owner(s). In fact, I used to deliver to Mr. Levy's house when he lived near the Uptown theater in the 90's (not sure if he has that house anymore). He and his wife were very kind. It is just something that is not easily explained. I have no problem with the food at any of the places, in fact, all of it is very good.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,825 times
Quote:
WOW is that far out. (As in from the city) Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be a little more inward on the lines, so that it could accomodate more travelers to the east or west of it?

Or is there no place for development anywhere further in?

Old 12-09-2007, 07:29 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
Quote:
haha, yeah at this rate that proposed line will probably NEVER happen, thanks to the inept people running this state. Metra's going to have a hard enough time keeping their current lines going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs