Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 06:04 AM

867 posts, read 1,372,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongchicagoland View Post
I've really enjoyed reading all of the opinions on my post. They have been all across the board. Out of all of the posts I've read on city-data, Berwyn has seemed to have more differing opinions than almost any other town's threads. What I don't see anyone discussing is the Hispanic flight I've noticed this summer. We've had 4 houses between the adjacent streets of Cuyler (Ridgeland,Highland and Harvey) that have sold since I posted. 3 have been purchased by African-American families, and the 4th I'm not sure about. There is a new African-American hair salon off Roosevelt and Highland, and a soon to open African-American coffee shop. Another house just went for sale on Harvey, and rumor has it the family is moving to LaGrange because they want better schools for their kids then what Berwyn can offer.

It's so crazy to me that I keep reading over and over again how Berwyn is attracting all of these creative hipster types, when all I'm seeing is White (and apparently Hispanic now) flight out of here to further west suburbs. I wish things would get better soon. I bought into the idea of a up-and-coming area close to the Loop. I wasn't envisioning groups of rough looking youth and fireworks all summer long. I don't want to live in the next Austin or Garfield Park. It's great that people are so positive about Berwyn, but my gut tells me that these "pro-Berwyn" boosters don't live in Berwyn themselves. If they did, I think they'd have a different view of the current state of affairs here.
Sounds like you're ok with Hispanics but not Blacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 06:17 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,345,239 times
A hair salon and a coffee shop!?! You mean new, locally-owned businesses are opening?!? In previously vacant storefronts?!!?!?!!? AND SOMEBODY WITH A JOB BOUGHT A HOUSE DOWN THE STREET???!!!??? THEY HAVE KIDS?!!? Agghhhhhh!!!! Rrruuuuuunnnnnn!!!

Old 07-31-2015, 06:32 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Get involved!

If you are concerned about fireworks and violent activities -- CALL THE POLICE! Fill out the reports, go to court, that is what helps keeps safe areas safe!

If you want to help the local businesses owners have enough time to supervise their kids, patron the businesses during peak hours so the owners can be home with their kids after school.

If you really want to be hero, volunteer at the schools -- they need mentors to help guide kids toward lucrative careers.

This is not rocket science -- if schools decline and safety is on the wane that falls on the shoulders that look the other way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongchicagoland View Post
I've really enjoyed reading all of the opinions on my post. They have been all across the board. Out of all of the posts I've read on city-data, Berwyn has seemed to have more differing opinions than almost any other town's threads. What I don't see anyone discussing is the Hispanic flight I've noticed this summer. We've had 4 houses between the adjacent streets of Cuyler (Ridgeland,Highland and Harvey) that have sold since I posted. 3 have been purchased by African-American families, and the 4th I'm not sure about. There is a new African-American hair salon off Roosevelt and Highland, and a soon to open African-American coffee shop. Another house just went for sale on Harvey, and rumor has it the family is moving to LaGrange because they want better schools for their kids then what Berwyn can offer.

It's so crazy to me that I keep reading over and over again how Berwyn is attracting all of these creative hipster types, when all I'm seeing is White (and apparently Hispanic now) flight out of here to further west suburbs. I wish things would get better soon. I bought into the idea of a up-and-coming area close to the Loop. I wasn't envisioning groups of rough looking youth and fireworks all summer long. I don't want to live in the next Austin or Garfield Park. It's great that people are so positive about Berwyn, but my gut tells me that these "pro-Berwyn" boosters don't live in Berwyn themselves. If they did, I think they'd have a different view of the current state of affairs here.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:22 AM

914 posts, read 1,138,221 times
I've never lived in Berwyn, or driven through there. It seems to have it's nice parts, although my friend just left a bungalow there, and she called it "the ghetto." She moved because she has a little girl, and needed a safer place to bring her up, otherwise, she said no one ever bothered her there, if you minded your own business. They tore down her bungalow to make it a parking lot for a church. I asked her, out of the three places, which is the worst, Elgin, Waukegan or Berwyn, and she said Elgin (worst), then Waukegan, and then Berwyn (the best of the lot, ha!).

Old 07-31-2015, 07:35 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you are concerned about fireworks and violent activities -- CALL THE POLICE! Fill out the reports, go to court, that is what helps keeps safe areas safe!

If you want to help the local businesses owners have enough time to supervise their kids, patron the businesses during peak hours so the owners can be home with their kids after school.

If you really want to be hero, volunteer at the schools -- they need mentors to help guide kids toward lucrative careers.

This is not rocket science -- if schools decline and safety is on the wane that falls on the shoulders that look the other way!
Save your breath. I learned in my 11 years there that people like this don't get involved. They just complain and spread the bad word (which 90% of the time is completely exaggerated).

I understand that Berwyn has some issues but overall, it's a great place to live, and hopefully continues to get better. Personally, I think it's improved in a lot of ways since 2003 when I moved there.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:45 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
An African American coffee shop? Oh and a Starbucks is also moving into Berwyn. Must admit I don't live there, visit often...and yes Berwyn is nothing like a suburb...in good ways and bad ways...meaning its very similar to some section of the city in feel. Its urbanized way more than the places you might find west of the tollway and much more diverse. There has been a recent shooting there of a gang member that is freaking a lot of people out....the Alderman is having a meeting on this sometime in early August so if anyone wants to attend they should try to find out about it. The police chief is going to be at the meeting too.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:31 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Where is the Starbucks opening? Depot District?

Old 07-31-2015, 08:40 AM

324 posts, read 331,108 times
On cermack next to buffalo wild wings I believe.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:44 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsunny View Post
On cermack next to buffalo wild wings I believe.
Hmm, that makes sense.

I think we'll know when Roosevelt Rd has finally arrived as a walkable destination when a Starbucks opens up there.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:29 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
You really haven't arrived as a suburb until you have an abandoned Caribou Coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs