Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 11:39 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongchicagoland View Post
The African-Americans moving to these large apartment buildings in Berwyn are not middle to upper income families, but low to lower-middle income large families that are moving in from rather rough areas.
Poor people deserve to have affordable housing like everyone else.
Quote:
With that comes the social ills long considered an "urban" phenomenon.
...but it is not an "urban phenomenon", it's a public policy PROBLEM and yes, it's is up to the government to fix. People love the government (these are the folks who bring you nice services in DuPage county, for example) until the government assists those they deem unworthy. Then it's all "stop asking for handouts". Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 12:08 PM

397 posts, read 602,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
sigh, it doesn't matter who's majority/minority, but maybe I didn't do a good job of conveying that? It's not about skin color to me, it's about working hard, being respectful, focusing on your education regardless of your surroundings and to quit making excuses and looking to the government for solutions. The government effs up everything they touch! btw, I'm already a minority in my subdivision. The majority here is now Asian/Indian and my home is not for sale. And our day is not coming because I expect my kids (and their kids) to do at least as well, if not better than myself and I believe they're well on their way to becoming productive, successful members of society, which is what really matters.

and fwiw, the black population in the US is expected to remain fairly flat over the next 50 years. The Hispanic and Asian population is what's expected to rise sharply. Comprende mi amigo?
Confused about how the government "effs up everything they touch." Did you drive on a road today? If so, did you even notice that you were driving on government paid for roads? If they were "effed up" I think you would have noticed. Also any planes fall from the sky today? Despite the government employees telling the pilots where to fly and when to land. I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. The government is actually pretty efficient at certain things and in many cases provides services more efficiently than the private sector. People are loathe to admit that because it's fun to watch Fox and gripe about the government while they drive on the government roads and use Medicare. And it's rich to accuse others of "looking to the government for solutions" when most of us don't even realize how we benefit from the government daily. Like who thinks about the roads? Or how you don't need to worry about whether your government licensed physician actually went to med school or not? KWIM? We all know it's really code for "others" using government services. When it's for middle class white people, it's earned but when it's for poor non-white people, it's "looking to the government for solutions."

Old 03-29-2015, 12:25 PM

62 posts, read 91,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
And the Black people that moved into Matteson criticized the Whites who were moving from there to Frankfort...but the Black people were also criticized by other Black people when they moved to Matteson from Dolton proclaiming "they wanted a new house" when the real reason (and this is coming from a Black person) was because "too many Chicago folk were coming to Dolton"...read that statement again: "too many Chicago folk"....
While I heard this on numerous occasions from my Black neighbors when I lived in a suburb that was experiencing White flight, "too many Chicago people" (one of my neighbors used stronger language to describe the situation) eventually became "too many Mexicans". That suburb is now experiencing Black flight as result of the heavy influx of Hispanics into the area.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:41 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I'm black, and I don't hear that because I don't associate with "those" kinda people.
Lol you probably do associate with people who have said that, but like I said in my post, people don't often like to admit it.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:47 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Thanks for the remarks Lifelongchicagoland. Keep in mind I do not actually live in Berwyn but own a two flat there and my son lives there. Was just in Berwyn today. Grabbed some brunch at Buzz Café in South Oak Park. See nothing really jumping out at me. Lots of filled churches in Berwyn with mainly Hispanic church goers. I see Hispanic faces, white faces and a few black folks too. Mostly working people minding their business coming and going. I do not see gangs or the like. Don't feel unsafe. I like to go to Freddies in Cicero to eat sometimes too....seems like a diverse crowd there never had a problem. I'll be honest, its not like where I live but I am used to moving among different neighborhoods and groups.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:56 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Live where you want, don't let some people thinking you're racist stop you from moving or living where you want to live.

To me, diversity is overrated, I'd want to live the best place I could afford.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:04 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Live where you want, don't let some people thinking you're racist stop you from moving or living where you want to live.

To me, diversity is overrated, I'd want to live the best place I could afford.
Unfortunately black people need diversity to be accepted, and white people need diversity to be tolerant of other races. At least that's how it comes across!

If people lived within their means on what they could afford, diversity would probably naturally happen anyway.

Last edited by Runuova; 03-29-2015 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 03-29-2015, 09:19 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
Unfortunately black people need diversity to be accepted, and white people need diversity to be tolerant of other races. At least that's how it comes across!

If people lived within their means on what they could afford, diversity would probably naturally happen anyway.
Honestly, I blame the media. It's like they get paid bonuses to incite hatred amongst people.

I think I saw Matteson mentioned in this thread. Having lived there, it's really just a middle class neighborhood that happens to be black. Yeah, businesses are leaving but it's been happening since the late 90's. The shift has gone west for businesses and the lower Will County taxes, which is only a few miles down the street. Crime hasn't increased.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Blah blah blah. These words are right out of the handbook. Thanks for proving my point.
Yep, and I found this in the appendix of the handbook. Have a nice day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itvnQ2QB4yc

Old 03-30-2015, 08:57 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I like to go to Freddies in Cicero to eat sometimes too....seems like a diverse crowd there never had a problem.
That place is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs