Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 03:20 PM

11 posts, read 10,369 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm looking to move to Elmhurst in the next month or two and I'm having a really hard time finding a place to rent! I've never had so much difficulty just figuring out what the options are. I started looking online but couldn't find much. I drove to Elmhurst, got out of my car, and walked everywhere I could on foot just looking for complexes with signs so I could google a number to call. At this point, I'm not sure what more I can do. I was really hoping some locals could name a few places for me. I'll give some criteria:

Budget: $1,000 - $1,800 ideally
Size: Preferably 2 bedrooms.
Location: I'd prefer within walking distance to the metra/downtown. I wouldn't be against a 5-10 minute drive if I absolutely had to.

I really don't care if it's an apartment, house, townhome, whatever so long as it meets my needs and isn't too outdated or nasty.

Some places I've ruled out:
Elmhurst Terrace
Elmhurst Place

Places of interest:
Kenmore Apartments - Great price, location, but big waiting list just to get in, and another wait for parking.

Market Square Apartments/Townhomes - Looked really nice on the outside. But not sure who manages them. I called the number on the website, and the management company told me that don't manage Market Square anymore, and they don't know who does. Great.

135/145 York Condos - I walked past a HUGE complex downtown, all condos. Didn't catch the name, but someone told me they were 135 and 145 York street. Apparently, they're all privately owned and some are rented, but I was unable to find any for rent online. They looked awesome, although that probably means theyre over my budget.

If anyone can help me out with some ideas, I'd really appreciate the help! At this point, I feel like I've done almost all I can do on my own. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 03:29 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,949,566 times
Look at Hotpads
https://hotpads.com/

I would also look at craigslist although lots of people don't like it sometimes you can find stuff there.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:51 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,994,111 times
The other day I saw a for rent sign at a two flat on maple just north of the train tracks (by the YMCA). I don't know if you will be in the area again to check it out, but if I go by it again I'll take a picture of the sign. It said it was 2 bedrooms.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:16 PM

That website is great! Thanks a lot! I've never heard of it, but it already has more listings than most of the other sites I was on combined.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:17 PM

That sounds perfect, especially the location! if you happen to be out that way and could snag a picture, that'd be fantastic. I looked for signs in windows while I was up there, but didn't see any. Guess I missed that one!

Old 06-08-2015, 11:46 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,346,844 times
Wheaton and Glen Ellyn are just a few stops west of Elmhurst on the UP-W line and might yield a few more rentals inside your budget -- still within walking distance of everything:

Downtown Wheaton Directory
Downtown Glen Ellyn Directory

Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 AM

very true, I'm starting to notice the small towns around Elmhurst are much cheaper. My big draw to Elmhurst, it's a nice area, my girlfriend works there, and it's a fast train ride to the city. I think I'd be willing to have a slightly longer train ride though, if it saved me a lot on rent, so I'll definitely consider some of the surrounding areas. Can anyone tell me if villa park is a nice area? or lombard?

Old 06-09-2015, 09:36 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,815,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestes89 View Post
Can anyone tell me if villa park is a nice area? or lombard?
Wheaton and Glen Ellyn are roughly as nice as Elmhurst. Lombard is a step down, and Villa Park is another step down from there. There are some apartment complexes in Villa Park that are outright sketchy.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:25 AM

111 posts, read 223,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestes89 View Post
very true, I'm starting to notice the small towns around Elmhurst are much cheaper. My big draw to Elmhurst, it's a nice area, my girlfriend works there, and it's a fast train ride to the city. I think I'd be willing to have a slightly longer train ride though, if it saved me a lot on rent, so I'll definitely consider some of the surrounding areas. Can anyone tell me if villa park is a nice area? or lombard?
I would definitely live in Lombard if I didn't have kids Not having kids opens you to a world of options, because you don't have to pay the "good schools" premium on your housing.

Hopefully someone will chime in about Villa Park - I don't know much about the rentals there.

Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 AM

720 posts, read 1,086,211 times
Villa Park is creepy, Lombard is underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs