Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:01 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times

Advertisements

There are some really nice houses posted on this thread. The houses are very clean and nicely decorated for the most part. In some ways you should be picky but if you are buying your first house you will have to compromise. My first home had blue wall to wall carpeting, a Danish modern type railing on the stairs, orange wall paper in the powder room, and gold foil wall paper in the foyer. Still the house itself was nice, a side staircase Georgian, and over time we changed all those things as money permitted.

I love an attached two car garage so that would be something I would look for, and also I would look for sidewalks especially if I had children. Most places in Wheaton do have sidewalks but a few don't. I would also look for locational drawbacks such as backing up to commercial spaces, or parking lots, or being too near the train (noise).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
There are some really nice houses posted on this thread. The houses are very clean and nicely decorated for the most part. In some ways you should be picky but if you are buying your first house you will have to compromise. My first home had blue wall to wall carpeting, a Danish modern type railing on the stairs, orange wall paper in the powder room, and gold foil wall paper in the foyer. Still the house itself was nice, a side staircase Georgian, and over time we changed all those things as money permitted.

I love an attached two car garage so that would be something I would look for, and also I would look for sidewalks especially if I had children. Most places in Wheaton do have sidewalks but a few don't. I would also look for locational drawbacks such as backing up to commercial spaces, or parking lots, or being too near the train (noise).
Looking back through some of the houses posted, I think the one that would have been the best bang for our buck, assuming we could have gotten them down in price a little, that we both probably would have liked is 1220 E. Willow Ave. I'll be interested to see what it sells for. Walk to train, good schools, appropriate number of bed and baths, good kitchen, finished basement, 2+ car garage etc. That was contingent before we started looking at Wheaton, unfortunately.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:56 PM

748 posts, read 832,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Looking back through some of the houses posted, I think the one that would have been the best bang for our buck, assuming we could have gotten them down in price a little, that we both probably would have liked is 1220 E. Willow Ave. I'll be interested to see what it sells for. Walk to train, good schools, appropriate number of bed and baths, good kitchen, finished basement, 2+ car garage etc. That was contingent before we started looking at Wheaton, unfortunately.
If they listed that and staged it well enough, it could have been multiple offers; will be interesting to see.

This also went quickly: 1909 Curtiss St, Downers Grove, IL 60515 | MLS #09185376 | Zillow

There are certainly houses in the 370-400 range, that's going to be the sweet spot. Sub 350 is going to be very tough with how stretched thin the market is. I keep hearing stories about people losing bids and also not being able to negotiate during inspections.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:04 AM

Is anyone familiar with the area just west of Briar Patch Park? I noticed that a few of the houses in that area that recently sold were only occupied 1-3 years before they were put back on the market. They could have all sold for different reasons. A couple look like they took advantage of the hot market. Another looks like they sold just above what they paid for it. I found that interesting and am wondering if I'm missing any red flags. It seems like a nice area on the surface.

Last edited by fusillirob1983; 05-25-2016 at 06:25 AM..

Old 05-25-2016, 08:11 PM

217 posts, read 580,976 times
Casa Solana dr. and the few cul de sacs off off it are nice and in a great spot for shopping in Danada, Heritage Lakes is town houses that have a mix of people in them. Casa Solana is a nice quite street.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 AM

I don't see any red flags in that area. I used to live near it. Maybe because its kind of a starter home area and people move up to larger homes in Wheaton if they can afford it.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:21 PM

Just to revisit this thread, we closed on a house in Naperville in the past few weeks within a mile and a half of downtown. We lucked out and didn't have to compromise at all on the number of beds or baths, garage spaces, whether or not there were sidewalks, or the amount of updating the house required (minimal)!

Old 09-04-2016, 10:12 PM

217 posts, read 580,976 times
Congrats, Naperville is probally a better bet than Wheaton overall.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:45 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Really hard to generalize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
Congrats, Naperville is probally a better bet than Wheaton overall.
While I too extend a hearty congrats to anyone that got the home they wanted near the core of Naperville the reality is that Wheaton is probably on par in most ways. Of course the prices reflect this, but for folks that don't do their own research they may be mistaken by the baseless generalizations others make...

Old 09-06-2016, 10:23 AM

I looked in Naperville and while its very nice, I've owned three homes now in Wheaton and I love it there. I probably live closer to downtown Naperville than some Napervillians, and I am so glad I live in Wheaton. I prefer it. Naperville is too big for its own good its huge. We have everything and more that Naperville has except our downtown is smaller and we don't have the Riverwalk. Yes I agree that is a baseless generalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs