Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:11 AM

14 posts, read 18,252 times

Advertisements

I agree that oversaturation is a bad thing. The only problem is that as the market starts to turn upward, there will be a huge influx of homes and dining/retail will be needed to diversify the tax basis.
Your example with the sub shop is probably true, but downtown Sugar Grove has just about that, a sub shop, one place to eat, a pizza place, and thats really it. So its not like building the Geneva Commons which took a lot of businesses out of business in downtown Geneva because downtown Sugar Grove is bare and basically empty.

Also, look around the area, there are Walgreens every 5 miles, but for example the closest Olive Garden is in Naperville and St. Charles. The Closest Bakers Square, same thing. There are plenty of opportunities to bring in places that does not saturate the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 02:42 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
I was just reading through the plan commission minutes and I believe that they are going to be hearing a proposal for some type of restaurant. I don't have any more details than that. The new animal hospital is on the agenda for the village board meeting on the 18th. also, something about a proposed day care center in the landings. Daycare centers are something that residents have been asking for too. also, Kimball hill is getting some type of award for the settler's ridge design. and i read in Crains' that they have another month to work on the finances.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:48 PM

38 posts, read 115,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
The new animal hospital is on the agenda for the village board meeting on the 18th.
Is Dr. Zabel responsible for the new veterinary clinic? I sure hope so. The big chain animal hospitals are to a small animal practice like a Walmart is to a five & dime store. They can afford to be a loss leader until all of their competition is gone. I suppose Charles Francis Adams was correct when he first observed ruinous competition, but it still seems to take away some of the quality of life from these towns when a box retailer (or chain vet.) moves in.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:19 PM

yes, dr. zabel is building the new animal hospital. it will be just around the corner from his present location. the new one will be on main street. he owns the first two houses there and will be tearing down the first one. the new design is just beautiful. he used ed saloga as his architect. we are looking forward to seeing the completed project.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:49 PM

38 posts, read 156,821 times
Quote:
yes, dr. zabel is building the new animal hospital. it will be just around the corner from his present location. the new one will be on main street. he owns the first two houses there and will be tearing down the first one. the new design is just beautiful. he used ed saloga as his architect. we are looking forward to seeing the completed project.
Is it a hospital, a vet, or both? Maybe there is not difference between a vet and a hospital, not sure.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:44 PM

currently, he calls himself the sugar grove animal hospital. he has been in sugar grove a long time. probably around 12 to 14 years! I don't have any animals, but I do know craig personally. He lives in town too. just down the block from the animal hospital. he owns a couple of other houses and rents space to a dog groomer, too. he has been involved in a variety of volunteer committees for the village too!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:40 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,688 times
I always thought of him as a "Vet" while the VCA Animal Hospital as the "hospital". My fur babies were patients at the VCA Clinic but several neighbors went to Dr. Zabel but when they needed big time surgery they went to VCA. Perhaps he is both and they just chose to switch due to the level of surgery? SGResident, do you know about the lots owned by builders other than Kimball Hill in Settler's Ridge, are they considered part of RG or not? I know Ed Saloga has a few lots in there as well as other builders, Kackert comes to mind first. Curious if they are part of SR or is that name reserved to the home built by Kimball Hill.
To the person who asked about the water park in Sugar Grove, I think your question was answered. The park is being built just south of Rt. 30 - you can see if off Rt 47 near the Yorkville water tower. I remember attending the public forums at the community college and hearing the pros and cons for the development. While the money would have been nice I would not have wanted to look at it day in and day out. My friends who live in Yorkville are thrilled to have it becasue it will work as their community pool and for the ones I know, they live far enough away that they will rarely have to look at it when not there. I believe they can get a family season pass at a fairly decent rate. We always got the family pass to Splash Country and found it to be a good value although it was very crowded!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:00 AM

I know that the builders you mentioned had lots and built homes for the home show that was held. I don't know if they have other lots or not. the homes they built are part of settler's ridge. I believe the deal with kimball hill for the outside builders is that they had to maintain certain construction/architectural requirements. there were guidelines established when the project was approved by the village. to begin with, there was the certain theme being presented with the style of homes, materials etc.
as far as the water park goes, I just drove by yesterday and they still have a long way to go! I wish we could have found an alternate location to keep the attraction in sugar grove, but there was no where for them to go. the area they had wanted, just wasn't right. If they finish and get open, it will be close by and easy to access. It is much larger than splash country. it is a real water park. not just a park district facility. I haven't seen anything in the news lately about the cost for admission.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I just drove by yesterday and they still have a long way to go! I wish we could have found an alternate location to keep the attraction in sugar grove, but there was no where for them to go. the area they had wanted, just wasn't right. If they finish and get open, it will be close by and easy to access. It is much larger than splash country. it is a real water park. not just a park district facility. I haven't seen anything in the news lately about the cost for admission.
The water park is more than a year behind schedule. The fees were published once in the Beacon, but the website search function did not "find" that article.
See:

Yorkville Economic Development Corporation - What's New - Yorkville, IL (http://www.yedconline.org/press143.htm - broken link)

That article is dated sometime in 2006

The same search function did not find the article about the wine & cheese party at Kimball Hill late last year; it was removed from the online edition.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:21 AM

The latest on Kimball Hill from the Kane County Chronicle:

Kane County Chronicle - Local News and Video for Kane County, Illinois - Sugar Grove subdivision up for sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs