Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 11:20 AM

93 posts, read 126,062 times

Advertisements

I don't think Clarendon Hills and Hinsdale should be completely written off, but the housing stock will be more limited, especially near downtown. Western Springs and La Grange are both good options, as is Downers Grove. I'd consider Riverside as well, although the downtown area might be smaller than you'd like. I would definitely take a drive through these suburbs before you really focus your search.

Arlington Heights would be another suburb to look at, although the commute might be pushing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 11:40 AM

223 posts, read 170,335 times
Oak park and Evanston are not that safe compared to other suburbs.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:41 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoisthebest View Post
Oak park and Evanston are not that safe.
Nonsense.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:44 AM

223 posts, read 170,335 times
Then is edited it and said compared to other suburbs

Old 12-31-2020, 11:49 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
BOBNCHI, good day and Happy New Year.

To be fair, Sir, is it acceptable to say that these cities (like many cities can be) have areas that may look or feel or BE safer than other areas within?

I have been to both cities several times, although neither are my typical time-spending areas.

That said, I believe it is the sentiment of others that, for example, Oak Park may be more desirable the further west you go from Austin Avenue. And Evanston may be more desirable the further north and west you go from its city limits with Chicago.

I think the term, colleague Chicagoisthebest, used, "Oak Park and Evanston are not that safe" makes the ENTIRE areas bad.

I cannot speak for Chicagoisthebest's intention with his statement... I am merely trying to clarify some things in my own perceptions/understandings.

If nothing else, please educate ME! Thank you, and enjoy this last day of 2020 :/

Old 12-31-2020, 12:02 PM

521 posts, read 162,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Nonsense.

Roger on that. Granted, the notorious inner-city shootings of Chicago are undesirable. They seem nearby but never seem to spill over into the suburbs.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:12 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post
I don't think Clarendon Hills and Hinsdale should be completely written off, but the housing stock will be more limited, especially near downtown. Western Springs and La Grange are both good options, as is Downers Grove. I'd consider Riverside as well, although the downtown area might be smaller than you'd like. I would definitely take a drive through these suburbs before you really focus your search.

Arlington Heights would be another suburb to look at, although the commute might be pushing it.
Riverside is very pretty. It is kind of different from the others since the main part is a historic planned community in a landmark district. Clarendon Hills is also pretty small in terms of downtown size, but downtown CH and Westmont are so close together that if you live on the west side, you could easily walk to both. Downers Grove has a lot of tear downs lately.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:34 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplypurple View Post
Thank you for the suggestions! To clarify, we certainly don't expect a true urban feel - as urban as a suburban can feel would be great. More than anything, we are looking to avoid having to get in a car for everything and would like to have the option to walk to the Metra station on weekdays and to restaurants/shops/etc straight from home on weekends. So basically, we are looking for a suburb with some stretch of lively & walkable downtown, where such downtown area is in a decent school district and has houses in our budget.
The $600-700k range has been a very competitive space for buyers. However, you should definitely be able to find something that might meet your expectations in Evanston or Wilmette. Central Street, the Main-Dempster Mile, and Downtown Evanston shopping districts are true gems of the North Shore. Downtown Wilmette is improving but still lacks a destination quality. Have you taken a look at what's on the market right now?

Quote:
Why does everything have to be oak park or Evanston?
Some parts of oak park are going downhill.
The OP's criteria closely align with the profiles of those communities. They are very popular areas, and Evanston is among the larger suburbs, to begin with.

There is no part of Oak Park that is "going downhill." If anything, the place has been gentrifying over time.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 933 times
Elmhurst is a great option. Wheaton has an express train too. They call it the wheaton rocket. 45 minutes.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:39 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Quote:
Oak park and Evanston are not that safe compared to other suburbs.
Quote:
Then is edited it and said compared to other suburbs
Your added caveat is without basis as well. According to City-Data's own data, Oak Park's crime rate is below the national average. Evanston's crime rate is less than half the national average, and also lower than neighboring Skokie and Lincolnwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
That said, I believe it is the sentiment of others that, for example, Oak Park may be more desirable the further west you go from Austin Avenue. And Evanston may be more desirable the further north and west you go from its city limits with Chicago.
Southeast Evanston is one of the priciest and most affluent parts of the City, and the 5th ward, the least affluent part of Evanston, is well to the center and west of the City. Therefore, this doesn't jibe with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs