Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 07:50 AM

7 posts, read 6,372 times

Advertisements

Where would you live?

My husband will be transferred to Chicago and we’ll be moving from Colorado next year. He’s in commercial construction where his commute varies depending on the projects he’s overseeing - but it could be anywhere in the greater Chicago area and could include downtown. We have one child starting highschool and one that will be transferring to University of Wisconsin Milwaukee and driving down several weekends a year. Budget is up to 600k.
I’m driving myself nuts trying to find a few good areas to narrow it down to that are good transportation hubs. Areas with good schools and a swim team (high school child is also a competitive swimmer), decent house for the money with a yard (we have a couple big dogs), and good access to trains and toll roads/expressways for my husband (I work from home). We understand that it’s impossible for my husband to avoid a commute, but we’re trying to make it easier in any way we can.

Bonus: We also would love somewhere to enjoy as we transition to empty nester status in the next 5 years. Coming from Colorado, we also enjoy biking rail trails, walking/hiking, and access to nature. We crave trees and water after living in the parched high desert. But that’s a secondary consideration once we get a general area narrowed down. Is there a unicorn suburb out there for us?

I looked at Northbrook/Glenview because of train and I-294 access. Also LaGrange/Western Springs for the same reason. Maybe Arlington Heights? Or Glen Ellyn/Wheaton? I sure like how you get more house for the money out that way. I’ve pored over tons of posts on this forum and know realtor.com like the back of my hand now. . But y’all always have awesome ideas. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 08:47 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateNomads View Post
Where would you live?

My husband will be transferred to Chicago and we’ll be moving from Colorado next year. He’s in commercial construction where his commute varies depending on the projects he’s overseeing - but it could be anywhere in the greater Chicago area and could include downtown. We have one child starting highschool and one that will be transferring to University of Wisconsin Milwaukee and driving down several weekends a year. Budget is up to 600k.
I’m driving myself nuts trying to find a few good areas to narrow it down to that are good transportation hubs. Areas with good schools and a swim team (high school child is also a competitive swimmer), decent house for the money with a yard (we have a couple big dogs), and good access to trains and toll roads/expressways for my husband (I work from home). We understand that it’s impossible for my husband to avoid a commute, but we’re trying to make it easier in any way we can.

Bonus: We also would love somewhere to enjoy as we transition to empty nester status in the next 5 years. Coming from Colorado, we also enjoy biking rail trails, walking/hiking, and access to nature. We crave trees and water after living in the parched high desert. But that’s a secondary consideration once we get a general area narrowed down. Is there a unicorn suburb out there for us?

I looked at Northbrook/Glenview because of train and I-294 access. Also LaGrange/Western Springs for the same reason. Maybe Arlington Heights? Or Glen Ellyn/Wheaton? I sure like how you get more house for the money out that way. I’ve pored over tons of posts on this forum and know realtor.com like the back of my hand now. . But y’all always have awesome ideas. Thank you!
I would recommend everything along 294 as far as logistics.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:08 AM

Thank you! I was hoping you'd chime in with your North Shore experience! I'm glad to hear that my instinct was correct there. I'll focus more on the I-294 corridor and see what 'burbs strike me. If there are any that you prefer, I'd love to hear it I appreciate it!

Old 10-11-2021, 09:19 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Thank you! I was hoping you'd chime in with your North Shore experience! I'md to hear that my instinct was correct there. I'll focus more on the I-294 corridor and see what 'burbs strike me. If there are any that you prefer, I'd love to hear it I appreciate it!
I agree with the I-294 corridor.

For 600k, La Grange, Western Springs, Willowbrook, Downers Grove and Clarendon Hills, and maybe Darien, although not as close to I-294 but nice houses more for your money. Easy commute east to Chicago, north, south and west to Aurora and Naperville. If you were in Clareredon Hills or Willowbrook, you would get a good swim team and a brand new pool facility at Hinsdale Central in that district. Good luck with your move!!

BTW, those places are close to miles of trails that run through Oak Brook, Western Springs, Brookfield and down to Palos Park and out to Joliet. I bike them all the time.

Last edited by Justabystander; 10-11-2021 at 09:31 AM..

Old 10-11-2021, 09:54 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Thank you! I was hoping you'd chime in with your North Shore experience! I'm glad to hear that my instinct was correct there. I'll focus more on the I-294 corridor and see what 'burbs strike me. If there are any that you prefer, I'd love to hear it I appreciate it!
I-94 after the spur and I-294 north of O'Hare is relatively lightly trafficked and I think there are some lovely areas around here, including the western edge of Lake Forest, where I currently live.

This area went from having half the homes in the world for sale to slim pickings, especially around $600k. But, you can definitely find something decent for your budget with some time and effort.

I would try looking in Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Lake Forest, Riverwoods, Deerfield, Northbrook, and Glenview, especially those parts that hug I-94/294. Most of those 'burbs also have Metra stations. There are a lot of trails that I enjoy in northern Cook and Lake County that are easily accessible and only moderately trafficked.

There is some great nature close to Western Springs, Elmhurst, etc. but it is a more densely populated and congested area compared to the northern suburbs.

Old 10-11-2021, 10:08 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
I think many are nice. Glen Ellyn and Wheaton are pretty nice. They are right on the Prairie Path (good for biking) and I really like Wheaton’s farmer’s market.

I think the BNSF line is the most convenient for getting into the city. I live in that area. I have a membership to the Arboretum regularly and it is close enough to the prairie path that I ride my bike on it a couple of times a month. I think you are on the low end for Hinsdale, WS, and CH, but should be able to find something in LaGrange, Downers Grove, and definitely Westmont. LaGrange has the most vibrant downtown, but you will probably find smaller lots than you see in DG. DG also has a nice downtown.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I agree with the I-294 corridor.

For 600k, La Grange, Western Springs, Willowbrook, Downers Grove and Clarendon Hills, and maybe Darien, although not as close to I-294 but nice houses more for your money. Easy commute east to Chicago, north, south and west to Aurora and Naperville. If you were in Clareredon Hills or Willowbrook, you would get a good swim team and a brand new pool facility at Hinsdale Central in that district. Good luck with your move!!

BTW, those places are close to miles of trails that run through Oak Brook, Western Springs, Brookfield and down to Palos Park and out to Joliet. I bike them all the time.
I agree that it doesn't get more central than that area! That's good to hear about the new pool, as well as the trails. My initial impression of it being more dense made me think that there weren't as many opportunities in the nature department. Thank you!

Old 10-11-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I-94 after the spur and I-294 north of O'Hare is relatively lightly trafficked and I think there are some lovely areas around here, including the western edge of Lake Forest, where I currently live.

This area went from having half the homes in the world for sale to slim pickings, especially around $600k. But, you can definitely find something decent for your budget with some time and effort.

I would try looking in Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Lake Forest, Riverwoods, Deerfield, Northbrook, and Glenview, especially those parts that hug I-94/294. Most of those 'burbs also have Metra stations. There are a lot of trails that I enjoy in northern Cook and Lake County that are easily accessible and only moderately trafficked.

There is some great nature close to Western Springs, Elmhurst, etc. but it is a more densely populated and congested area compared to the northern suburbs.
This area IS beautiful. I'm drawn to it for that reason. I had to google the I-94 spur but I see what you mean now! It also "feels" like it would shave a couple minutes off the drive for my oldest from Milwaukee. Some of those areas may have lower taxes, too, which could push up the budget. We have to account for that when going from CO to IL. I'm frustrated by the slim pickings everywhere, but that's the world we're in right now!

Old 10-11-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think many are nice. Glen Ellyn and Wheaton are pretty nice. They are right on the Prairie Path (good for biking) and I really like Wheaton’s farmer’s market.

I think the BNSF line is the most convenient for getting into the city. I live in that area. I have a membership to the Arboretum regularly and it is close enough to the prairie path that I ride my bike on it a couple of times a month. I think you are on the low end for Hinsdale, WS, and CH, but should be able to find something in LaGrange, Downers Grove, and definitely Westmont. LaGrange has the most vibrant downtown, but you will probably find smaller lots than you see in DG. DG also has a nice downtown.
We were in town for a quick couple days last weekend (didn't get to do any house hunting though). We went to the Daniel Popper exhibit at the arboretum and it was beautiful! I will look at LaGrange a little closer. Thank you!

Old 10-11-2021, 11:29 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Sounds like good schools, decent lot size, and well positioned amongst Greater Chicagoland for $600k..

NW burbs and W burbs are probably the best bet. Look for those that have direct access to 290/294. Arlington Heights, Downers, Glen Ellyn would be good target towns.

Places like Elmhurst, La Grange, Glenview, Park Ridge would likely mean less house, less yard, and a more undesirable part of town at that price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs