Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 01:30 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateNomads View Post
This area IS beautiful. I'm drawn to it for that reason. I had to google the I-94 spur but I see what you mean now! It also "feels" like it would shave a couple minutes off the drive for my oldest from Milwaukee. Some of those areas may have lower taxes, too, which could push up the budget. We have to account for that when going from CO to IL. I'm frustrated by the slim pickings everywhere, but that's the world we're in right now!
Unfortunately, much of Lake County has among the highest tax rates in the state. The property taxes in the Stevenson High School district are exceptionally high. Lake Forest and Lake Bluff are among the lowest in metro area outside of the City of Chicago. Being north of O'Hare will shave considerable time off of trips to Wisconsin. I say it's a no-brainer to focus on that general north/northwest area along I-94/294.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 01:44 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I agree with the I-294 corridor.

For 600k, La Grange, Western Springs, Willowbrook, Downers Grove and Clarendon Hills, and maybe Darien, although not as close to I-294 but nice houses more for your money. Easy commute east to Chicago, north, south and west to Aurora and Naperville. If you were in Clareredon Hills or Willowbrook, you would get a good swim team and a brand new pool facility at Hinsdale Central in that district. Good luck with your move!!

BTW, those places are close to miles of trails that run through Oak Brook, Western Springs, Brookfield and down to Palos Park and out to Joliet. I bike them all the time.
Hinsdale South (my alma mater) is also getting a new pool. You can view the upgrades here:

https://d86.hinsdale86.org/Page/1806

Old 10-11-2021, 01:51 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,281 times
Location-wise, here's what I'd suggest to mitigate having a crazy-long commute in most directions and may fit your budget/definition of good schools:

Elmhurst
LaGrange
LaGrange Park
Western Springs
Downers Grove (north area, closer to the highway)
Park Ridge (probably the farthest north I'd go)
Burr Ridge (I think this is pushing a bit far south, plus it doesn't have a Metra stop)

I don't know specifics about any of the high school swim teams.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:02 AM

3,041 posts, read 3,310,193 times
Quote:
Where would you live?

My husband will be transferred to Chicago and we’ll be moving from Colorado next year. He’s in commercial construction where his commute varies depending on the projects he’s overseeing - but it could be anywhere in the greater Chicago area and could include downtown. We have one child starting highschool and one that will be transferring to University of Wisconsin Milwaukee and driving down several weekends a year. Budget is up to 600k.
I’m driving myself nuts trying to find a few good areas to narrow it down to that are good transportation hubs. Areas with good schools and a swim team (high school child is also a competitive swimmer), decent house for the money with a yard (we have a couple big dogs), and good access to trains and toll roads/expressways for my husband (I work from home). We understand that it’s impossible for my husband to avoid a commute, but we’re trying to make it easier in any way we can.

Bonus: We also would love somewhere to enjoy as we transition to empty nester status in the next 5 years. Coming from Colorado, we also enjoy biking rail trails, walking/hiking, and access to nature. We crave trees and water after living in the parched high desert. But that’s a secondary consideration once we get a general area narrowed down. Is there a unicorn suburb out there for us?

I looked at Northbrook/Glenview because of train and I-294 access. Also LaGrange/Western Springs for the same reason. Maybe Arlington Heights? Or Glen Ellyn/Wheaton? I sure like how you get more house for the money out that way. I’ve pored over tons of posts on this forum and know realtor.com like the back of my hand now. . But y’all always have awesome ideas. Thank you!
All the places mentioned from La Grange to Elmhurst To Glen Ellyn/Wheaton would be good. For going downtown want access to a Metra commuter line. For north to south need access to I-294 toll or route 85. Other options to get west to Aurora, Batavia, St Charles, Elgin. That should cover Cook, DuPage, Kane counties. Frequent service to Milwaukee via Amtrak so maybe have pickup in Glenview if not downtown at CUS.

For walking check out Palos forest preserve & other forest preserve near the area you settle. For biking in the west suburbs some nice bike rail trails to explore.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:55 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Sounds like good schools, decent lot size, and well positioned amongst Greater Chicagoland for $600k..

NW burbs and W burbs are probably the best bet. Look for those that have direct access to 290/294. Arlington Heights, Downers, Glen Ellyn would be good target towns.

Places like Elmhurst, La Grange, Glenview, Park Ridge would likely mean less house, less yard, and a more undesirable part of town at that price point.
Talked to some friends in the know about Swimming/Diving.

If a competitive swimming district is important, then I'd trust your gut in your initial post and double down on Glenview. Glenbrook South's pool is phenomenal, as is the school as a whole. Girl's Swimming won another State Championship this year, in the largest dvision in Illinois. Fun fact, Olivia Smoliga is a Glenbrook South grad.

As you noted in your original post, some other advantageous: Glenview has direct access to 294 and 94 to go west, south, and north. It also has three train stations, included the express at 29 minutes into the city.

$600k will be tight, but property taxes are low in Glenview vs. many other towns North and West.. Make sure to avoid unincorporated Glenview (West/Southwest). Central Glenview is your best bet. Lot sizes run between 6.7k - 10k, so I'd focus on neighborhoods with a bit larger lot size.

Here are a few options in convenient and centrally located neighborhoods:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M97583-14119

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M77206-91938

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M76232-41498

Old 10-12-2021, 03:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,133 times
Quote:
Sounds like good schools, decent lot size, and well positioned amongst Greater Chicagoland for $600k..

Its the annual taxes that murder your affordability
My 400K Townhouse in Northern Virginia costs $3600 in total taxes annually.
I looked at similar and the annual taxes are twice that in Chicagoland.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:45 PM

7 posts, read 6,370 times
Quote:
Talked to some friends in the know about Swimming/Diving.

If a competitive swimming district is important, then I'd trust your gut in your initial post and double down on Glenview. Glenbrook South's pool is phenomenal, as is the school as a whole. Girl's Swimming won another State Championship this year, in the largest dvision in Illinois. Fun fact, Olivia Smoliga is a Glenbrook South grad.

As you noted in your original post, some other advantageous: Glenview has direct access to 294 and 94 to go west, south, and north. It also has three train stations, included the express at 29 minutes into the city.

$600k will be tight, but property taxes are low in Glenview vs. many other towns North and West.. Make sure to avoid unincorporated Glenview (West/Southwest). Central Glenview is your best bet. Lot sizes run between 6.7k - 10k, so I'd focus on neighborhoods with a bit larger lot size.

Here are a few options in convenient and centrally located neighborhoods:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M97583-14119

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M77206-91938

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M76232-41498
You are awesome! I didn't know this about Olivia Smoliga. I could tell when I looked at their websites that they had their act together. So glad to have it confirmed! Thank you so much!

Old 10-12-2021, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 6,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Yeah it's hard to stomach coming from Colorado, too. BUT, at least you get a lot for it. Public transportation, awesome schools, etc. We've lived in places that nickel and dimed you to death and you don't see anything for it. So there's an upside!

Old 10-12-2021, 04:41 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Well, after living in Seattle and Boston, I don’t mind paying the property taxes. At least my $13k in property taxes is for a nice house, in a great neighborhood, in an upscale suburb here in Chicagoland.

The house we moved into here, for the town/schools/access to the city/amenities, would have been well north of $1M in Boston.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:30 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Quote:
Yeah it's hard to stomach coming from Colorado, too. BUT, at least you get a lot for it. Public transportation, awesome schools, etc. We've lived in places that nickel and dimed you to death and you don't see anything for it. So there's an upside!
A ridiculous amount of property tax dollars go to pensions and other legacy costs. But, public education and public transit in this slice of the country are largely very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs