Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 17,355 times

Advertisements

western springs, lagrange, elmhurst. great schools, close to everything, close to all expressways that lead to downtown Chicago. Elmhurst, lagrange and western springs have trains to downtown. Best of the burbs

Old 07-17-2007, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,798 times
Smile You are not crazy

Hi. Lake County Illinois is a wonderful place to live. Each town has many advantages, and I feel you can't go too far wrong. You just need to decide what your priorities are and choose a community that will be the best fit. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:27 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
This is a thread from the begining of May of 06!!,I hope the OP has found his burb by now

Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 26,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
don't know if the above poster has a hidden agenda or not, but if you're commuting to downtown from 35 miles southwest every day you're going to go insane. Or at least be very unhappy.
WOW! I live in Homer Glen (right next door to Lockport) and my hubby commutes into the city as do many of opur neighbors. We love it out here, great schools,but it is starting to get too crowded (traffic)for us.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:31 AM

169 posts, read 456,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy06 View Post
Anybody know much about NW Indiana? WE are moving to the area and would like to stay closer to our families in South Bend, IN. I have heard varied opinions on the area, there seems to be a stigma attached to living in Indiana. Munster and Crown Point are supposed to be pretty nice - any thoughts?
If you're going to live in suburbia, to me it doesn't make much difference which side of the state line you're on. Valparaiso, where I live, is generally considered "nice", and is an hour from both downtown Chicago and South Bend. (I've found when people say "nice" in reference to suburbs they generally mean something quite different than how I define a nice place to live, probably because I'm single and not a big suburb fan.) Crown Point seems similar, and would be maybe 20 minutes closer to downtown and further from SB. I'm not as familiar with Munster.

It seems to me that people in Illinois have negative attitudes toward Wisconsin and Indiana. Lots of states have this about neighboring states. I've never really understood it. I find IL and IN to be pretty much indistinguishable once you're outside of the the city of Chicago itself. (They're both flat with lots of suburbs, industry, and corn fields. Nothing too exciting.) I think part of the stigma could be from the fact that many Chicagoans' experience with Indiana is the heavy industrial area along the highway in the Gary area. You don't want to live there.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:29 AM

34 posts, read 39,640 times
Elmhurst or Hinsdale if you commute to the city. Glen ellyn, Naperville or Wheaton for total suburbia. St. Charles for large open green space. It all depends on what you are looking for......

Old 08-12-2007, 08:18 AM

Its a nice town,but,large open green space in St CHarles????

Old 08-14-2007, 05:23 PM

6 posts, read 29,261 times
Default Can I Chime in?

I have been researching pretty heavily surrounding areas to Naperville, as my husband has accepted a job there, and we will be moving in January. We are moving because the cost of living in Southern Cal, has gottn' out of control and it was a great opportunity for him. Meanwhile, I live in such a nice community and I am so nervous about trying to purchase a house with out knowing a darn thing about the area. Can somebody expand on the differences between Wheaton, Geneva, and St. Charles...oh also I have heard Elyn? I have a six year old daughter so schools are the most important, but we really want to stay in the $350,00 zone (more or less). Thanks for your help.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:30 PM

They are all nice towns with great schools,parks,historic neighborhoods,reasonable commute to Chicago.Once you come out to visit all the towns,one of them will feel like home for you.I dont think One is better,it really is preference.I like Geneva myself.I think you may be limited in your price range though

Old 08-15-2007, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 29,261 times
Default Can I chime in?

Thanks Nannie. Any other burbs you suggest fairly close to downtown Naperville, with great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs