Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2006, 11:00 AM

111 posts, read 275,477 times

Advertisements

The north and northwest suburbs have a bit more character and culutre. They are some what older and more liveley due to the fact that they are in cook county. Dupage county has a very bland, sprawled out feel, and they are still not in the democratic radius of chicago. Something we liberals like to call, out of the intelligencia radius.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrobert View Post
The north and northwest suburbs have a bit more character and culutre. They are some what older and more liveley due to the fact that they are in cook county. Dupage county has a very bland, sprawled out feel, and they are still not in the democratic radius of chicago. Something we liberals like to call, out of the intelligencia radius.

Riiiiight. Wheaton, Naperville, St. Charles and Geneva are HIGHLY regarded suburbs that are thankfully almost devoid of dems. These 4 cities consistently have nationally ranked schools. Now whos in the "intelligencia radius"?

Old 12-03-2006, 07:13 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampWSox05 View Post
Any suburbs besides the south suburbs and NW Indiana. It's way too ghetto and white trashy. I think all the pollution from all the steel factories in Gary and the surrounding areas affect the people that live around there. They seem zombie-like.
Right. Heaven forbid someone have to work in lower paid labor for a living and doesn't make six figures a year to afford a nice home on the north-shore. I grew up in those 'south suburbs' in a blue-collar family and have friends and family that work in those factories in northwest indiana, and those people who live in that 'ghetto or trashy' areas fix your clogged toilet, built your house, made the steel for your car, etc. And quite frankly, this constant bashing of the people who live in the less than desirable parts of town as being say 'zombie-like' or trash is getting rather old. No, I'd probably never recommend that a newcomer to the city move to my old neighborhood, but c'mon, lets not start making sweeping generalizations about the people who happen to live there, because some of 'those people' actually happen to frequent this thing called 'the internet' you know, and are not as stupid as some people seem to think they are. Despite what a lot of people believe, there is such a thing as class in this country, and it is quite clear how pervasive it is on boards like this.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:43 AM

Naperville is a bland suburb consisting of sprawl homes from the early 1960's (split level homes) to tear down tracts of the new millenium. If it wasnt for the downtown they got going down by that little creek the towns till wouldnt be worth much. I will admitt that naperville is about the only thing the forlorne people have in dupage county. Otherwise its a nice commute through about 10 tollway booths until you get to chicago. and whats wrong with dupage county republicans..everything. That fat clown representitive dennis hastart who likes to hide facts about republican congress men soliciting sex from under age boys, how about the fact that they voted for illegal liscens giving gov. george ryan.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrobert View Post
Naperville is a bland suburb consisting of sprawl homes from the early 1960's (split level homes) to tear down tracts of the new millenium. If it wasnt for the downtown they got going down by that little creek the towns till wouldnt be worth much. I will admitt that naperville is about the only thing the forlorne people have in dupage county. Otherwise its a nice commute through about 10 tollway booths until you get to chicago. and whats wrong with dupage county republicans..everything. That fat clown representitive dennis hastart who likes to hide facts about republican congress men soliciting sex from under age boys, how about the fact that they voted for illegal liscens giving gov. george ryan.
Or the current gov that took office and doubled the toll rates and also has been involved in several scams (namely his chief contributor to his campaign). I can go on here too.

And Naperville is NOT 60s split level homes, those have long been demolished in favor of beautiful homes and lots of mansions as well. Downtown is super active and the "creek" happens to be a river. Several new restaurants and super-lux condos (starting at 800K) have also been built. Everyone wants in and its easy to see why with the best schools in the state and the best suburb. CNN/Money mag havent rated it in the top 5 places to live in the country for no reason at all.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:56 PM

8 posts, read 21,117 times
Default Consider La Grange

I just moved to La Grange from a farther out suburb called Tinley Park to shorten my husbands commute. He now just travels 18 minutes into the city and can walk to the train. He saves 2 1/2 hours a day just in commuting time. Our house here is smaller, but I prefer the area and his shorter commute. La Grange has excellent schools, is near both airports and a 25 minute drive to city, plus it has a great downtown area. Consider looking at metrarail.com and decide how far you want your commute to be and also see if parking is a problem at station. We considered Naperville - a 35 minute commute on express train, but then found out no parking near station.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:50 PM

Im sorry I just feel naperville is really over rated.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:54 AM

Its really not, thats why Im confused.

Its a great town for adults and kids alike. Always voted in the top 5 "friendliest kid cities" and top 5 "places to live in the USA". The homes are lovely, the schools are great, the shopping is phenom, there are malls, riverwalks, swimming parks, nature preserves, LOTS of concerts and festivities (even in the dead of winter). Its just a really nice and safe big city that has a small town feel to it. Its hard to explain.

When was the last time you were there? Just curious.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:01 PM

332 posts, read 632,231 times
Default Lake County

What about Lake County? My wife is contemplating a job in Lake Forest (unfortunately we won't be able to afford to live there), so we're looking at living strictly somewhere within Lake County. Our list of favorite homes that we can afford (the majority costing between $300K-$330K) are located in the towns/cities of...

Grayslake/Hainseville
Antioch
Round Lake
Island Lake
Winthrop Harbor
Lake Villa/Lindenhurst
Beach Park
Park City/Waukegan

I have no idea where I'll work, but I'd hope to stay out of downtown Chicago and work in Lake County as well.

Right now we live in Fishers, Indiana, which is a nice (yet fast growing) suburb of Indy with great schools and a strong family oriented town (probably similiar to Naperville as we've been ranked in the top 35 on the Money list the last two years...so we're looking for something similar.

So...what can you tell me??? Are we crazy to move up to the Chicago/Lake County area?

Thanks!

p.s. I think I'll start a new thread for this as well.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:00 AM

The last time I was honestly in naperville was probably about 3 years ago and yes I was at a bar. I live in ca but spend every summer with my mom in barrington. I grew up in glen ellyn and palatine in the 90's than my father and i moved to california. I feel i have a good grasp on life in the chicago burbs.

Dont get me wrong for dupage county, naperville offers basically everything i will concede that. If you are looking for the ultra suburban life style naperville does have it.everything from sprawling homes where the country meets the city, to mc mansions. And yes for the suburbs their nightlife can only be rivaled by places like shaumburg which even than cant compare. Ill give you that.

I just feel how ever that dupage county is very bland. I feel their is more culture north and northwest of chicago, with equal affluence to tort. Naperville just seems too much like the stereotypical suburb. Not much diversity and ugh republican turf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs