Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,026 times

Advertisements

Hi--

I was wondering about the political/social/intellectual climate in some of the northwest and far northwest suburbs. I grew up in Arlington Heights in the 1970s, and the area felt very conservative to me. I actually got teased about my liberal views in school, so I'm a little nervous about coming back here. But I know times change.

Both my husband and I will be working in Schaumburg and would like to settle in a town that has a (a) nice downtown and (b) a social/political/intellectual climate that would be comfortable for people who share a background working for liberal political causes and both have PhDs (I get a bit self-conscious about that).

I have driven around West Dundee and loved it--on the surface. But does anyone know anything about the social or political climate? Educational backgrounds/values? I also noticed some empty store fronts when I was there last week--including the privately owned book store as well as the natural food store.

What about Arlington Heights? Mount Prospect? Palatine?

Crystal Lake and Woodstock are too far for us, I know, but I am just curious about them--they are so pretty.

Thanks for any advice--I know this area has changed so much since I grew up here!

(PS: I know Evanston would be nice..but the commute has both time and environmental costs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 01:50 AM

55 posts, read 209,350 times
I think if you are tolerant, not didactic, and don't try to force your views on others, or be hostile to your neighbors' opinions, then you shouldn't have many problems.

You get what you give in life. Perhaps you could open yourself to learning another point-of-view and seek diversity of opinion too!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:55 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,856,083 times
I agree with David.

We live in Arlington Heights (my wife and I our very conservative politically and have definite opinions about what gov't should and should not be). We live in a super neighborhood with intelligent neighbors who have different opinions about things than we do. This does not keep us from enjoying each other socially or helping each other out if needed. Indeed it is what makes the neighborhood fun and interesting. Who wants to surround themself with people who only think like they do? People should have values yet still be open minded and enjoy each other.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:58 AM

5 posts, read 14,149 times
I've ridden my bike through W. Dundee and visited parks, plus some of thier downtown rests/shops. Its nice enough. Not sure about politics there. Can't say that I've engaged too many there.

I can say that I live in the northeast side of Elgin and have for a few years now. Our neighborhood has a thing going on... if a particular lawn ornament is in someone's front yard, EVERYONE in the neighborhood is invited to a party that Friday night. I have met the most diverse group of people this way... so socially, this is great. There are many backgrounds, from academics with local universities to politicians to business owners to grade school teachers to city execs to lawyers to waitresses (and believe it or not they are not all white ). Many seem to lean fairly liberal, but not all, and all seem to be very tolerant of others ideas and interests.

I'm not sure if this type of thing exists in many communities, but ask around, it might be a decent way to get the feel for a particular neighborhood/town and the people in it.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:33 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hammond View Post
I think if you are tolerant, not didactic, and don't try to force your views on others, or be hostile to your neighbors' opinions, then you shouldn't have many problems.

You get what you give in life. Perhaps you could open yourself to learning another point-of-view and seek diversity of opinion too!

Well, since the OP said she was TEASED about her views in the area in the past, I could see why she would be concerned. Where is she saying she is trying to "force" her views on others? She seems like she's just trying to find a place where she won't be judged for her views, and have others' views forced on her. I think most of us would like that. Practice what you preach in your above post, David. (Edited out most of angry rant. It's not worth it. Sorry.)

Ok, rant over. I had a friend who lived in West Dundee for a while & she said it was a nice area, and got along with her neighbors. She's pretty liberal, and I don't think she had any problems. She wanted to be in Chicago after awhile, so moved.

Ok, sorry about

Last edited by Mister Mappy; 08-21-2008 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-31-2008, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,026 times
Default Thanks

Thank you for the replies--

Diversity is what I am seeking, in the broadest sense of the word--diversity of race, ideas, lifestyles, etc. I've spent most of my adult life in university towns and I have always loved the openness to different ideas, engagement, independently owned stores, quirky neighborboods, etc. I do plan to move to the suburbs rather than commuting from the city. I just want to find the best suburb for me. I also don't want to assume all suburbs are the same--that's why I posted a question in this forum.

I will surely check out Elgin! I've actually heard really good things about it from other sources...up-and-coming with lots of revitalization going on. Not there yet, to be sure, but on its way to being really neat. I've also read about a commitment to becoming a "green city."

Old 09-06-2008, 10:13 PM

42 posts, read 145,300 times
Elgin has diversity, to be sure, but the schools have had problems, from what I've heard, if that's an issue for you.
No university towns to speak of, Harper College doesn't have that ambience around it (two-year college, mostly residential around it). Maybe something more towards the city, like Schiller Park or Des Plaines, if you can handle the traffic and airport noise?

Quirky neighborhood is the difficult part, so much of the suburbs are cookie-cutter. You might have to just accept the occasional trip to Long Grove or Dundee and live close to work. I lived in the Hoffman Estates/Schaumburg area for awhile, and had no problems with neighbors, decent diversity in the more affordable area where we were, but we also didn't talk to the neighbors much. Pretty much they'll leave you alone unless you talk to them first, everybody's busy with their own life. There are bike paths in the area, and some public transportation in the Woodfield Mall area. Also check out the Spring Valley Nature Center, with the historic farm. Schaumburg also has annual art shows and such in the park off Schaumburg Road.

I don't know much about Elgin, but I'd be careful about "a commitment to becoming a green city". Everybody says that nowadays because it's the trendy thing to say. Actually doing it is another matter altogether. There are many volunteer organizations, such as at the restoration effort at Spring Creek Forest Preserve, where you'll get a chance to mingle with a variety of people, but obviously with an environmental undertone and a generally well-educated liberal tendency.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 14,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabunny View Post
I've also read about a commitment to becoming a "green city."
This is absolutely true. The City of Elgin is currently interviewing firms to develop a Sustainable Master Plan. They've been fairly progressive in recycling programs and the rec center even has an electric car charging station. They are also developing city-wide bike routes, but the master plan will address everything from water resources to energy use/conservation to development plans to infill developments.

They issued this last year http://www.cityofelgin.org/DocumentView.asp?DID=296 (broken link) and are making progress on getting this started.

I'm sure that success of the plan will depend upon community buy-in, but they are making a concerted effort at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs