Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 PM

64 posts, read 439,329 times

Advertisements

I'm definitely the nostalgic type. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of some of my old stomping grounds in Glenview. The landscape has changed considerably since my youth on Elm St. (south of Colfax) in the 70's. I'm hoping that somebody out there has a picture or two they could scan and email to me. I know it's a long shot, but the pictures I'm hoping for are listed below:

-The mall that used to be on Golf rd. between Harlem and Waukegan.

-The Franksville restaurant that used to be near the corner of Golf and Waukegan.

-The A&P grocery store that used to be on the corner of Harlem and Glenview rd.

-A business called "Webtron" that used to be on the east side of the tracks just north of the Metra station.

-The A&W drive thru that used to be on Waukegan just north of Golf rd.

-Any pictures of Hoffman school before the additions.

-The theater and water wheel that used to be at Golf Mill.

If anybody knows of any books with historical Glenview pictures that would be helpful too! Just for fun I attached a picture of me in Manor Park back in the mid 60's.

Hope to hear from you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 10:35 AM

I just found a picture of the water wheel that used to be at Golf Mill. Thought I would share it.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:17 PM

29 posts, read 175,674 times
OMG this is so cool! I lived in Glenview from 1980 to 1993. I lived on Harrison St, 3 houses east of Shermer Rd. I often walked/ran/biked to Elm Park & Hoffman Park (it's one big park). I went to Hoffman Elementary School (Kindergarten and 1st grade), but before that, I actuall went to pre-school at Elm Park, when there was still a little park house by the playground. Can you friggen believe that? I also went to Henking (grades 2 and 3) on Linneman St then back to Hoffman (grade 4, 5, 6.... Mr Tom Mazzuca was my 6th grade teacher)... before going to Springman Junior High (grade 7 and 8) on Central Rd. Then I went to Glen Brook South High School, but didn't graduate there cause I moved at the end of my junior year. Anyay, man I miss swimming at Roosevelt and Flick pools. I also REALLY miss the Navy and Air Force fighters and other planes flying over my house as they came in to land at Glenview Naval Air Station (I lived in Glenview before that base was closed). I hung out at Golf Mill twice a week when I was in Jr High. When i was in 4th and 5th grade, me and buddies used to hang out at the Hoffman hill, on the back side of that hill it was all woody. OMG the memories, sorry for rambling lol.

Hey for those that remember Hoffman & Elm park, I think the gravel trail on the school side is still there, the one that runs from the school that goes toward Central Rd

So much in and around Glenview has changed. So much.

If everything goes well I'll be moving to West Palm Beach next month, and Glenview will be the only place in Illinois that I'll miss. I've missed it since I moved to other suburbs and I'll probably still miss it after I've moved to Florida.

Harrison St. near my old house, going toward Elm St. and Hoffman Elementary,
probably sometime between 1986 and 1989 (that's my little brother BTW)

Last edited by SuburbanGuy; 02-27-2009 at 08:33 PM..

Old 02-27-2009, 08:41 PM

Another pic of Harrison St in the 80s, looking east toward Elm St.

Here's the house I grew up in on Harrison near Shermer Rd.

(late 80s or very early 90s)

My parents bought it in 1980 for $80,000.... Whoever had it last sold it a few years ago for $450,000 !!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanGuy View Post
Another pic of Harrison St in the 80s, looking east toward Elm St.

Here's the house I grew up in on Harrison near Shermer Rd.

(late 80s or very early 90s)

My parents bought it in 1980 for $80,000.... Whoever had it last sold it a few years ago for $450,000 !!!!
Glad you like the thread. I know how you feel about Glenview. I was devastated when they tore down my childhood home and built a McMansion in it's place (219 Elm st.). My parents bought it for $19,000 in 1964 and sold it for $65,000 in 1978 (picture below). There were a couple of owners after it was sold so I don't know how much it went for before the current house was built.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:42 PM

I would love to get a ground-level photo of the mall in the picture below. It's a aerial photo of the mall on Golf road between Harlem and Waukegan road taken in 1974. If anyone has a photo of the mall PLEASE post it here or email it to me. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:56 AM

620 posts, read 1,746,146 times
I have a slide of my older sister in the 4th of july parade in front of the A&P grocery. Probably around 1971. I don't have a slide converter - sorry.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm Street Alumni View Post
Glad you like the thread. I know how you feel about Glenview. I was devastated when they tore down my childhood home and built a McMansion in it's place (219 Elm st.).
Oh yeah I can totally see why you were devastated with your house being torn down, replaced with that McMansion.

I was devastated after I moved from Glenview up to lake county. I'm moving to Florida this month but I still miss Glenview, a hell of alot. About 10-11 years ago, around '98 or '99 I noticed that many of the older houses on both Harrison St. and Elm St. were being torn down and replaced with McMansions....Some no more than 3-4 houses down from where I lived (2226 Harrison St.). My house still stands, for now, but for how much longer I don't know.

recent photo:

There was one large white farm house, at least 3 stories, on Elm & Harrison that I remember well, I think it's gone though.

Quote:
My parents bought it for $19,000 in 1964 and sold it for $65,000 in 1978 (picture below). There were a couple of owners after it was sold so I don't know how much it went for before the current house was built.
My dad sold our house for $254,000 in 1993 (bought in 1980 for $80,000)... When I lived there, the other newer houses on Harrison St, on the other side of Shermer Rd, going toward Ladendorf Park, were worth more than the houses on my side of Harrison, but now that has reversed. The older houses built in the 1940s like mine, are more valued.

There are some houses on Colfax that are identical or almost identical to the brick, tri-level, 3 bedroom that I grew up in.

I miss so many things, I was so pissed when the Cattle Company restaurant (which became the Ground Round) on Waukegan Rd near McDonnalds was replaced with a Saturn car dealership in summer 1990 or 1991. I used to like going there to play the arcade games, because they had a particular game I was into at the time and it was so close to home.
It was around that time that a buddy of mine told me about a bar on Waukegan Rd that also had games, it was Langtry's., which became Chyannes. I dunno if these places mean anything to you, but they did for me. good times....while they lasted.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
I have a slide of my older sister in the 4th of july parade in front of the A&P grocery. Probably around 1971. I don't have a slide converter - sorry.
A slide? Wow. There's a technology you don't see very often anymore (but I remember it well). It's a shame we didn't have digital cameras back then. I'm sure we would have snapped a million pictures...

Old 03-01-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanGuy View Post
Oh yeah I can totally see why you were devastated with your house being torn down, replaced with that McMansion.

I was devastated after I moved from Glenview up to lake county. I'm moving to Florida this month but I still miss Glenview, a hell of alot. About 10-11 years ago, around '98 or '99 I noticed that many of the older houses on both Harrison St. and Elm St. were being torn down and replaced with McMansions....Some no more than 3-4 houses down from where I lived (2226 Harrison St.). My house still stands, for now, but for how much longer I don't know.
Now that the housing bubble has burst I doubt developers will be tearing down many more homes. Lucky you!

Quote:
There was one large white farm house, at least 3 stories, on Elm & Harrison that I remember well, I think it's gone though.
It's gone? I remember that house well. I always wanted to see what it was like inside but never got a chance.

Quote:
I miss so many things, I was so pissed when the Cattle Company restaurant (which became the Ground Round) on Waukegan Rd near McDonnalds was replaced with a Saturn car dealership in summer 1990 or 1991. I used to like going there to play the arcade games, because they had a particular game I was into at the time and it was so close to home.
It was around that time that a buddy of mine told me about a bar on Waukegan Rd that also had games, it was Langtry's., which became Chyannes. I dunno if these places mean anything to you, but they did for me. good times....while they lasted.
I was under the legal drinking age most of my life in Glenview (I'm 48 now) so I didn't spend much time in nice restaurants or bars. My friends and I used to play video games at the Franksville restaurant that used to be on Golf Road near Waukegan. I wish I could remember the name of the strip mall that used to be there as well. If I had the name I might be able to find something on Google.

I definitely remember the McDonalds on Waukegan. Lots of memories there. Putting pennies on the tracks... I remember when it had no indoor seating. Now there's another picture I wish I had!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs