Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:50 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

New Trier is overrated. If you compare the test scores demographically--i.e. compare the scores of white or Asian upper and upper-middle class kids at New Trier to the same group at other suburban districts--it's really not deserving of all of its praise. Average test scores at a school have very little to do with how YOUR kid will perform there. What matters is their family background and the friends they associate with.

Now, of course New Trier offers advantages over a place like Proviso East. But the advantages of New Trier aren't as apparent when comparing to a good suburban high school like Naperville North or Riverside Brookfield.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,089 times
Like every neighborhood, there is some crime. Flossmoor is a pretty decent area, however, the taxes are a bit higher than most areas and more than people want to see. On the ther hand, the price of homes are lower as a result of this. For whatever the reason you and your wife chose these areas,...you chose them. I know individuals that live in these suburbs and from my visitations, there are some very nice homes. Again, taxes are a bit much. (something to consider). Is this the only area of consideration???

Old 04-18-2009, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,140 times
Default Born & raised in Homewood/Flossmoor, & I'm moving back

I grew up in Homewood/Flossmoor, and you're all right, it is different now. Different doesn't mean bad. I'm sorry, but I do not automatically consider the increase in diversity a negative thing. If you do, then I'm glad you don't live in my town.

I have been living in Aurora for a year, on the edge of Naperville, and I hate it here. I was in Central Illinois for 6 years before this, and also hated the rural life. Everything West & North of Chicago is commercial, sterile, and phony. Everyone's concerned with their status, and doesn't care that their house looks like every single other house in the subdivision.

I have been house-hunting in Homewood for about a month, and I have done my research. This was not a purely emotional decision. If you are looking for a great balance of good schools & reasonable housing prices, Homewood is a great bet. I am buying a 4BR house for $120K, and my sons will get a great education (the oldest will start Kg next year). Flossmoor does have even better schools, but consequently the property taxes are ASTRONOMICAL. Frankfort/New Lennox is whiter and has more expensive schools, but they have higher property prices. Crete/Steger has cheaper houses, but the schools are crap. Homewood balances well. If you haven't already, look at greatschools.net for parent ratings and test scores. Western Avenue Elementary in Flossmoor has unbelieveably amazing scores (I went there 1-6 grade), for what that's worth. Parents LOVE the Homewood schools, and they score well, too. I think the parental input is important because many schools are only teaching the kids how to pass the tests so the schools look better. They're not teaching the children to think and learn. My cousin is in 5th grade in Elmhurst and my aunt & uncle hate it for that reason. Yes, I think the Homewood grade center plan is a little strange, but my friends who have kids in the system like it. They say it creates smaller class sizes, and that's important.

What you will not find out from surfing the internet is that people in the Western & Northern suburbs look down on the South suburbs (as I think is evident by the previous posts). People in the South suburbs do not generally do the same in return. Growing up, I never spared a thought much for what was West & North of the city. I married a man from the Western subs, and when we first got together he used to say all the time that he can't believe he ACTUALLY hooked up with a South suburbanite, and that his friends would tease him about it. If that's the kind of environment you want to raise your kids in, great. Personally, I'd rather raise my kids in a friendly, homey, down-to-earth town where people appreciate each other.

They're right about the water in the basement. 75% of the houses I look at have water issues, but that's not the end of the world. It's fixable.

Also, someone mentioned the H-F park district: Homewood has a great "hometown" feel, an adorable downtown, and LOTS of family-friendly activities all summer long. I don't know that Flossmoor offers those same kinds of things, but at least they're nearby.

And, if you want to live off of an expressway that is congested in both directions 24-7, by all means, move near the Eisenhower (I-290) which feeds the Western subs. The Dan Ryan (I-94) that runs into the city from the south does have its rush hour, but is usually fine during the off-hours.

Homewood is made up of many different neighborhoods with their own advantages & disadvantages, and if there are things that you would like and not like about your particular neighborhood, you need to explain that to your realtor & he/she will steer you in the right direction, if they're worth their salt. I would definitely suggest you use a realtor from the area, for all these reasons.

Last edited by Mooie80; 04-18-2009 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,140 times
Talking to answer your specific questions...

Sorry about my rant, but I can answer your specific original questions.

My friend's little girl goes to Hello Montessori and they absolutely love it. I also hear good things about a place called Bobby Noonan's, but I don't know where that is.

I think Homewood is more diverse, but I guess it depends. Homewood has more African Americans and Latinos, I think Flossmoor has more Indian or Middle Eastern families.

Areas to avoid, again your realtor can help with that, but I have a good friend whose mother worked for the Village of Homewood, and she steered me away from the east end of 187th. She said it looks fine, but they are often having criminal issues with that specific area for whatever reason. The older parts of town, like off of Ridge Road, will cost you more to live there, but they are wonderful neighborhoods. Also, near Isaak Walton Park.

All areas of both towns are prone to basement water, unfortunately. Find yourself a house that has already addressed that issue.

The park district is WONDERFUL, and you should visit their website to see all the things that are offered, especially in the summer.

Flossmoor has a better rep, Homewood is a better value, in my opinion. It reminds me of how I could go to Marshalls or TJ Maxx and get the exact same awesome shoes that some idiot spent full price for at the department store.

The worst thing that happened anywhere near the area in recent memory is the shootings at the Lane Bryant in Tinley (or Orland?) over a year ago. The local law enforcement (including many different areas nearby) is still pursuing that case full force, even without any leads. It is a sad story, but it also shows me that the police have not had anything else as heinous more recently to move on to.

Hope this helps more than my previous fly-off-the-handle defense of my hometown!

Last edited by Mooie80; 04-18-2009 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 03:17 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooie80 View Post
Everything West & North of Chicago is commercial, sterile, and phony. Everyone's concerned with their status, and doesn't care that their house looks like every single other house in the subdivision.
Well, I'm happy that you stood up for Homewood, but this statement is pure bull****. There are many suburbs north and west of the city that have character. Places like Oak Park, River Forest, Berwyn, Cicero, La Grange, Evanston--and most of the North Shore, for that matter, do not fit your characterization at all. Some may call the North Shore sterile and phony, but there are some really beautiful older homes that are quite unique. Heck, even Wheaton has a nice downtown and some variation in housing stock in the older part of town.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:37 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,339 times
You can get an amazing home for a steal in Homewood.
As for home prices, we were just out with a group of friends a few weeks ago, we all attend church in Flossmoor. Real estate was a topic of conversation. Two couples bought at the same time (one in Nov., the other in Dec.) in 1986. The couple in Homewood paid $119,000. and sold that same home last fall for $149,900. The friends in Crete paid $125,000. and are going to closing next week with a sale price of $335,000. They had done similar improvements.
So while Mooie80 has negative things to say about Crete schools, apparently that has not negatively affected home prices.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 AM

26 posts, read 80,636 times
Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out in my quest for H/F knowledge. My wife and I have actually put in offers in both towns so we shall see....

Old 04-20-2009, 02:45 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_60611 View Post
Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out in my quest for H/F knowledge. My wife and I have actually put in offers in both towns so we shall see....
That's great! Fingers crossed....

Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,339 times
Good luck!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,199 times
Default Good Luck...

Chicago_60611...I hope you end up in either Homewood or Flossmoor... you'll be happy with either one! They are both great towns now that the white-flighters have left, lol. At1withnature is probably one of them and has been bad-mouthing them ever since! I have daughters (4) who have gone through the Flossmoor School system and have thrived. My youngest is about to graduate from the dreaded Parker Jr. High and I have only positive things to say about her experience there... great teachers who care and plenty of extracurricular activities. She has managed all A's in spite of the trauma of going to school with black kids(gasp! lol). All of my daughters have scored in the top 3% of the nation on standardized test scores including the ACT/SAT's. My three oldest attend(ed) U of I - Urbana/Champaign and said that their classes there were easier than at H-F so saying that H-F has gone down the crapper is total BS! Look at US News & World Reports ranking of high schools in the country and H-F is always in the top 5% of IL schools. Not bad, hmmhhh?? We live in Old Flossmoor and absolutely love it... we can walk to the downtown, train, library, parks, schools. We feel totally safe here... in fact we don't lock our doors until we go to bed at night... totally true. The people who move to Homewood/Flossmoor(black, white, whatever) move here to get a small town neighborhood atmosphere with beautiful homes at reasonable prices and that is exactly what they get. Some people just can't believe that white people still buy in a racially diverse town but that isn't true. We know plenty of families that have/are buying in our town. My oldest daughter is actually in the process of buying a place here and we couldn't be happier for her. Just my two cents on your original question... even though it sounds like you've already decided! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs