Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 19,526 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I just moved to the Northwest suburbs about three months ago, and something I've noticed is that the ground beef at Jewel, and I guess even Sam's Club, leaves much to be desired for. My husband and I have made burgers for dinner several times, and whenever we use meat from Jewel, they're really tasteless and mushy. We made some with meat from Trader Joe's just last week and didn't have any complaints. Anybody else have similar experiences or know of a good place to get quality meat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:18 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
We have a meat farmer that attends our farmers market. he is from maple park, il. Burgin Farms. He also sells his meat at the praire farm market in lafox, il..just west of geneva. There is also Farm Direct Black Angus. They are the Schramer family. they sell their meats at the St. Charles farmers market and also at their farm in the sycamore, il area.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Don't buy the "ground beef" - Buy the Black Angus Lean Ground Sirloin.... IMO, the higher quality makes it worth the extra price...

Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 AM

Thanks to you both! We'll definitely give your suggestions a try!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
It you have a food processor you can use it to turn any combination of cuts of beef into hamburger. The cheaper cuts are much tastier than any pre-ground stuff, both Jewel and Dominick's meat counters have really gone down hill. The quality of meat that you can get at Sam's Club and Costco is miles ahead of what is in either chain...

Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 AM

68 posts, read 215,158 times
Chet is right. Jewel sells Select which is a grade below what Costco sells which is Choice. Kitchen Aid sells a grinder attachment, and you can buy a high-quality Chuck Roast for low price per lb. then grind it yourself into Ground Chuck. I know this is a pain, but you could do a bunch and then freeze it.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 AM

I have a KitchenAid, but not the grinder attachment. With the ground beef situation being what it is, I don't think it'd take much to get the hubby on board for buying one...

Has anybody ever tried ground brisket for their burgers? I've heard Tyler Florence recommend it, and now I'm curious!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:10 AM

69 posts, read 393,856 times
Ya I noticed the same "degrading of meat" when I moved out here from Iowa. I usually just go to Trader Joes for my meat.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:18 PM

211 posts, read 529,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It you have a food processor you can use it to turn any combination of cuts of beef into hamburger. The cheaper cuts are much tastier than any pre-ground stuff, both Jewel and Dominick's meat counters have really gone down hill. The quality of meat that you can get at Sam's Club and Costco is miles ahead of what is in either chain...
That's true! Sams club actually have very good meat, and much better prices.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If I recall the big chains like SuperValu and Safeway along with the big beef producers got the name of the cuts below "choice" legally changed to 'select' so that people would sorta forget that "no fat == no taste" Beef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If Choice is still more than half the beef grading out I wanna know why it is so scarce at Jewel and Dominicks these days...

You can't really "add in" fat to add flavor as the too lean beef just lacks the good genetics of the more tender marbleized stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs