Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 04:48 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times

Advertisements

Chicagoland is the cleanest metropolitan area you will see. Nothing else compares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:40 AM

5 posts, read 15,624 times
Thanks for all the feedback so far! Georgia...what did you love so much about Crystal Lake?
My husband and I were out visiting in the summer with a realtor. Crystal Lake has a cute little town center. I also found the houses to be on nice sized pieces of property with mature landscaping. I found the homes in Cary to have similar property but a smaller town center. Huntley has beautiful new homes in nice developments but there does not seem to be much property.

We are looking for a development where children can play safely in the neighborhood(Low car traffic-our current street has cars speeding through so I don't even let my kids play in the front!), but not necessarily be living on top of each other.
My husband will be working in Mettawa and or Volo but does have the option of working from home a few days a week.
If anyone has any suggestions of other towns or school districts I may have over looked, please post.
I look forward to hearing more! Thanks!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 AM

434 posts, read 1,164,635 times
Watch out for the traffic nightmare in Huntley (known as Illinois Route 47). What I've noticed is that the counties surrounding Chicago (especially the further out you go) do not have the greatest local/county road networks (connectivity is lacking). As a result, the direct-route expressways and state highways become congested. Add on trememdous population growth, and well, it is what it is.

I would personally choose Crystal Lake (or as some had mentioned, possibly Woodstock). I have never been through Cary, so I couldn't help you there.

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by sandwalk; 12-07-2009 at 10:04 AM..

Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
If I was looking at a job in Mettawa I'd be looking closer to Libertyville, Buffalo Grove or Lake Zurich. All those towns have lots of subdivisions / streets where traffic is minimal, though your "land dollar" is not going to go as far.

If Volo was where I had to commute to I would be looking to work from home a lot unless I found a great home I could afford in Barrington... Roads are sorely under built in that area and even short commuting distances take a LONG time to cover...

Old 12-07-2009, 02:35 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,312 times
i would suggest mundelein, gurnee, or grayslake because there is more to do and they are more diverse.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:28 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Mettawa- I agree wholeheartedly with Chet. The commute from Cary, CL and especially Huntley will be brutal!!. In addition to towns mentioned, also check out Deerfield, Vernon Hills and Arlington Heights. If you live in North section of Arlington Heights you are doing somewhat of a reverse commute and should make it to Mettawa in about 30 minutes.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 PM

179 posts, read 496,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Just drove a couple miles to downtown Crystal Lake, paid a couple dollars for the parking lot, and hopped on the train. Nice express ride and walking Michigan Ave in less than an hour.
Just thought I'd chime in say: sorry, that's impossible, and about the biggest load of baloney I've heard in quite some time.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:01 PM

5 posts, read 15,624 times
Realistically, how long would it take?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi800 View Post
Realistically, how long would it take?
The train takes a bare minimum of around 1:15 to and from downtown Chicago and Crystal Lake. Some of the trains take closer to 1:30.

http://metrarail.com/content/metra/e...up-nw/map.html

Old 12-11-2009, 09:13 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
A lot of trains going to crystal lake are what my mom calls the "cattle call". (she commutes on metra). They stop at damn near every city on the line. You gotta find those express trains and covett them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs