Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naleih View Post
I've only lived in Lincoln Park for 6 months, and lived in Uptown prior to that. So, I'm not really "from" Lincoln Park, just have resided here for a little while. We enjoyed Uptown, and the people, the diversity, and the fact that many people we met were doing their part to help improve the neighborhood. We are not on a quest to "save the area," but it can't hurt to try and become involved along with others to do our part.

To those of you who are sitting in front of your computers late on weekend nights, conjuring up witty things to say and ways to slam other posters, have fun with that. I hope you have this forum linked to a mobile device, because if you really are sitting and waiting around to make snide replies all night, you clearly don't have much of a life. Sad.

I won't be frequenting this forum anymore, it is much too toxic of a read! But, thanks to all who gave me helpful advice. I do appreciate it!
And stay out. If you simply wanted post-hoc affirmation of your decision, you should have said so. You asked for opinions, you got them. You opened the floor for discussion, you got it. Don't whine to us because you got what you asked for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Off topic.
I really wish someone would fix up the
uptown theatre. That would be something.
Jam USA was poised to buy the place about a year and a half ago. But Alderman Smith put the brakes on it fearing they'd rip the seats out and turn it into a "mosh pit." Seeing how that has become the most productive use for many older theaters around town that would otherwise also sit empty -- or worse, probably would have been demolished by now -- I don't really have a problem with that. The only other apparent proposal besides Jam USA's dreaded "mosh pit" scenario is to let the place continue rotting back into the earth. I say let Jam USA turn the floor into a mosh pit if that means they'll at least make the place structurally sound and occupiable for now, so that maybe something more in keeping with its original grandeur be done with it later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
...Off topic.
I really wish someone would fix up the
uptown theatre. That would be something.
We have a thread on that-that does need some updating.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...n-theater.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ys-uptown.html

Old 08-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If it makes you feel better, 2 people where shot a block away from there a couple nights ago, one fatally.
Yeah. This is it from 7/28/10 :

"...Police were alerted to the shooting in the 4500 block of North Magnolia Ave. about 4:40 p.m...The victims were involved in an argument with other men who fired from a vehicle..."

1 of 2 Uptown shooting victims dies - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/07/1-of-2-uptown-shooting-victims-dies.html - broken link)

And here was another one that I missed from 7/7/10 :

"...About 1:26 a.m., a 29-year-old man was shot multiple times in the Uptown neighborhood on Chicago's North Side...Officers responded to the scene in the 4500 block of North Clarendon Avenue..."

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/07/1-dead-5-others-wounded-in-overnight-shootings.html (broken link)

================================================== ====================================

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-05-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 08:19 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
God damn, the way some of you have been bitching about Uptown lately you would think it's like Beirut in the '80s, I wonder what it was 15yrs ago when I went to high school there, Mogadishu?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 PM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
There is alot of anger from the good people
of uptown and action as well.

If you at all interested in uptown
and are not reading uptown update.

Then you really arent interested.

Uptown is a battle ground.
Why?
Location.
Good drug business.

Get rid of the people that buy drugs
and you get rid of the dealers.
Then you have a great neigborhood.

The bangers are afraid of losing their
turf. And they way they are shooting up the town
it will only hasten their end.
The continued day after day violence wont be
tolerated by the city or the people.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:46 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Buffalo Bill's
defunct
who used to
ride a watersmooth-silver
stallionand
break onetwothreefourfive pigeonsjustlikethat
Jesus
he was a handsome man
and what i want to know is
how do you like your blueeyed boy
Mister Death

...So as you see, Xavier; EE Cummings is the only one who can pull that line break stuff off. Your un-needed line breaks anger me.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:27 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I love your sonnets

Old 08-07-2010, 06:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Welp, Shiller has announced she is not seeking re-election, so maybe there's hope for that place after all.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:59 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Welp, Shiller has announced she is not seeking re-election, so maybe there's hope for that place after all.
I posted that info in two of the other Uptown threads last week, but it didn't generate much conversation. Why are there so many damn Uptown threads?

I realize I have more stake in Uptown than most people on this forum, but Shiller leaving office is bloody HUGE!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
...Why are there so many damn Uptown threads?
Because people do not know how to search the damn forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago