Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,407 times

Advertisements

I also am contemplating a move to Chicago. I've compared city data from chicagoto a much smaller city (Springfield. Massachusetts) that I used to live in. By comparison, Chicago is much safer. Unless in the souuthside,the gangsters are riding motorcycles with uzi's strapped to their backs like in the north end in Springfield, then common sense safety should be plenty. But one thing I am curious about is special ed in Chicago.. Any tats or nays would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 08:03 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
CPS is well known for being highly bureaucratic and dysfunctional when it comes to students that need services. An antiquated model of stand-alone schools are well known "places to avoid" for caring parents and progressive educators. Chicago Public Schools : Special education There are lots of lawyers involved in the process Google

Honestly if you have a child that needs special educational services it would be wise to consider a suburb that is adjacent to the city where the access to services is much better and you can still take public transit into the hottest parts of the city.
Investigate Oak Park or Evanston:
Special Services Department Evanston D65
Resources Special Education Oak Park D97

Old 09-14-2017, 10:27 PM

20 posts, read 28,295 times
Wow! I learned so much about Chicago ina short period of time. I am thinking about moving to Chicago from Houston Texas. We has hurricane Harvey that wiped out much of the city of Houston. I want a new start,.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 PM

504 posts, read 496,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevans1636 View Post
Wow! I learned so much about Chicago ina short period of time. I am thinking about moving to Chicago from Houston Texas. We has hurricane Harvey that wiped out much of the city of Houston. I want a new start,.
It's a world class city with a huge selection of jobs if you have a college degree. Schools are good only in the nicer areas. Food is amazing. The lake is great, and there are lots of parks - but no hiking.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:17 PM

89 posts, read 120,889 times
No hiking in the city, but if you don't mind a 90 minute drive to Oglesby then Starved Rock State Park has lots of great hiking trails and beautiful lookouts. I used to make a long Saturday of it when I lived in Chicago and it was especially nice to hike in the early fall or winter mornings.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:21 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Plenty of hiking in the forest preserves ringing the city and the suburban forest preserves. Look at Blackwell, Herrick Lake, etc.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:36 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Where did the hiking come from? The latest person who posted asking for advice didn't say anything about outdoor activities, just that they wanted a new start. Nevans, we need details if you want personalized help. I love Chicago, but like anywhere, personal preferences are key.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevans1636 View Post
Chicago is a good place to move to from Houston, but be aware of the cold weather in the winter.

If you have a good education and a background that will get you a job, then go for it.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:46 AM

4 posts, read 2,532 times
What are the safest areas in Chicago ? Is it safe to come home from work (at night) alone with or without car ?Recently i used to read some articles that says Chicago isnt very safe city

Old 09-25-2017, 03:29 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Nowhere. Nowhere is safe, I was murdered twice just last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago