Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:06 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Good point, I didn't even think about that one. We only go for about 3 hours at a time to museums...
Doing a combo of the Field and Shedd might work for you then, since you could take a break mid-day. There are hot dog stands/a food vendor outside, if the weather holds up eating lunch right on the lake is pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 02:14 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
Leave the kids at home, you'll have more fun!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:37 PM
mh9

7 posts, read 11,591 times
Haven't been to the Field Museum in yeeears (need to go back at some point), but I was MSI earlier this year to shoot their new exhibit 'Science Storms' (queued up to the 1min segment - click play if interested ):

Lots of really cool stuff there...due to time constraints, we could only show about 1/4 of the stuff that's there...there's A LOT more. One could EASILY burn an hour/hour and half exploring that one exhibit...probably more.

As for favorites at MSI, the Coal Mine is a big favorite and if your girls are young, they'll probably dig the Baby Chicks and The Idea Factory (one of my all-time favorites as a kid). Also a Fairy Castle (huge miniature castle) if they're into fairies/magic/castles/etc.

MSI provides this tool for free on their website for planning your trip. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2010, 06:56 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
How are your kids at spending 8-10 hours walking around museums? I know my 6 year old wouldn't be up to it.
yeah, that is a consideration. My 10 year I think would be interested for the most part if we take a few refreshment breaks. My niece the 6 year old... that is what made me reconsider my first plans. She is a little chunky and out of shape. would rather sit around playing video games then walk. And I have no patience. So glad my sister is coming.
Just me with the two girls was torture at Cedar Point.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:00 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh9 View Post
Haven't been to the Field Museum in yeeears (need to go back at some point), but I was MSI earlier this year to shoot their new exhibit 'Science Storms' (queued up to the 1min segment - click play if interested ):

Lots of really cool stuff there...due to time constraints, we could only show about 1/4 of the stuff that's there...there's A LOT more. One could EASILY burn an hour/hour and half exploring that one exhibit...probably more.

As for favorites at MSI, the Coal Mine is a big favorite and if your girls are young, they'll probably dig the Baby Chicks and The Idea Factory (one of my all-time favorites as a kid). Also a Fairy Castle (huge miniature castle) if they're into fairies/magic/castles/etc.

MSI provides this tool for free on their website for planning your trip. Good luck!

Oh thanks for your post. and video. I am taking notes because this is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 PM

289 posts, read 897,354 times
The Planetarium is much improved with their new exhibit space, but it's still something to see after Field and MSI. My tip is this: Chicago Public Libraries all have passes for every museum. If you have a spouse or SO then you can check out one pass and s/he can get another one. Your odds of finding an available pass increase if you check the branches on the south side. There are 3-4 branches you could try if you drive diagonal from I-94 to MSI. I have never seen a museum line that would make me wish for a no-wait pass.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmosBanks View Post
The Planetarium is much improved with their new exhibit space, but it's still something to see after Field and MSI. My tip is this: Chicago Public Libraries all have passes for every museum. If you have a spouse or SO then you can check out one pass and s/he can get another one. Your odds of finding an available pass increase if you check the branches on the south side. There are 3-4 branches you could try if you drive diagonal from I-94 to MSI. I have never seen a museum line that would make me wish for a no-wait pass.
Excellent plan. All you need to do is rent an apartment in the city, wait for your first utility bill to arrive then take it to the library to prove residency and get your library card. Then you just need to visit the library day after day and/or pray for a miracle, since the passes are always checked out.

And I have purchased memberships just to avoid the hour long waits in line for tickets. My Shedd membership I just barely got my money's worth. My Field membership has paid for itself several times over, though. I can spend an entire day in just one exhibit area. Of course, I'm the type that reads every line of text the museum prints for it's exhibits.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:05 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
I'm not a big fan of the Field Museum. Go there if you're interested in the special exhibits, I find the permanent features rather uninteresting. I haven't been there since I was a kid, but I really liked Shedd and the Museum of Science and Industry back then, so I wasn't just a museum hater.

I recommend the Chicago History Museum. It's about a mile north of the Hancock, and really neat if you have any interest in the city. I make a point to go to places like this when I travel. Art and anthropology are neat, but they're available and relevant everywhere; why not check out something that's unique to where you're staying? They have a children's section as well.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:27 AM

289 posts, read 897,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Then you just need to visit the library day after day and/or pray for a miracle, since the passes are always checked out.
Chinatown, State & 37th, King & 35th or Blackstone. Let your fingers do the walking and one of those will have the pass you want. Got the MCA pass from Chinatown two weeks ago.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
I think kids would be more fascinated w/the MSI than anything else. There is more there to occupy the senses and more on a grand and fascinating scale. I would think children would tire of looking at paintings (Art Institute) and the like or museums where the exhibits require alot of reading. The MSI has lots of variety and wow factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago