Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:14 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmosBanks View Post
Chinatown, State & 37th, King & 35th or Blackstone. Let your fingers do the walking and one of those will have the pass you want. Got the MCA pass from Chinatown two weeks ago.
Try getting a pass for a museum that most people actually want to go to. Once you have it, the OP can stop by your place to pick it up, since there is still the residency problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I'm not a big fan of the Field Museum. Go there if you're interested in the special exhibits, I find the permanent features rather uninteresting. I haven't been there since I was a kid, but I really liked Shedd and the Museum of Science and Industry back then, so I wasn't just a museum hater.
Did you know the Field completely renovated the evolution/dinosaur hall, americas hall and gem hall in the past 10 years? it's not nearly as stuffy as it used to be, you might want to give it another shot.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 PM

172 posts, read 438,363 times
When I was younger the MSI was my favorite museum. There is a lot of things to do for young children and adults. I think they also have a play area in the basement for younger children but it has been a while since I have been there. The Field Museum is also nice but the special exhibits are what people generally go for. I don't know how long a 6-year-old would last. My son just turned 7 and only lasts about 3-4 hours at a museum before getting tired/bored.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:44 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
I'm pretty sure a City Pass is a waste of money for a weekend trip. It's like $69 and only good for 9 days. Plus, it only covers basic admission and it seems every museum in Chicago has upcharges for special exhibits, movies, etc.

If you are going to do the MSI, keep in mind that it is gigantic, has lots of special exhibits or tours, and is actually far aways from the loop and the Field Museum. If you don't have a car, it will take a long time to get from one to the other, so it doesn't make sense to do both in one day.

If it was me, I'd probably do the MSI on one day or a Field/Shedd combo on one day and then do Navy Pier (plus, the children's museum is there) and shopping along Michigan Ave for the other day.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:52 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I'm pretty sure a City Pass is a waste of money for a weekend trip. It's like $69 and only good for 9 days. Plus, it only covers basic admission and it seems every museum in Chicago has upcharges for special exhibits, movies, etc.

If you are going to do the MSI, keep in mind that it is gigantic, has lots of special exhibits or tours, and is actually far aways from the loop and the Field Museum. If you don't have a car, it will take a long time to get from one to the other, so it doesn't make sense to do both in one day.

If it was me, I'd probably do the MSI on one day or a Field/Shedd combo on one day and then do Navy Pier (plus, the children's museum is there) and shopping along Michigan Ave for the other day.
Yeah, the American Girl store on Michigan Ave...it is almost a museum of consumerism for little girls. Actually, I like the store, as far as stores go, and my daughter goes CRAZY there.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:56 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
a cab is the way to go- quick, shouldn't cost much as it's a straight shot up (or down) Lake Shore Dr

Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I think kids would be more fascinated w/the MSI than anything else. There is more there to occupy the senses and more on a grand and fascinating scale. I would think children would tire of looking at paintings (Art Institute) and the like or museums where the exhibits require alot of reading. The MSI has lots of variety and wow factor.

Right.

I had not even planned on the art museum since I know the girls would A) get bored quickly and then B) misbehave.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
a cab is the way to go- quick, shouldn't cost much as it's a straight shot up (or down) Lake Shore Dr

Thanks for the tip about cab rides. I have reservation for American girl place and I was trying to time my departure from MSI to make our reservation. I think a cab rude would save time.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 PM

Another question: I will be using google map app to navigate since it covers all modes of transportation. It seems that the bus ride from MSI and the loop was under 30 minutes. But know I am belatedly considering that google maps will not be accurate due to traffic.

Does anyone use google map app and is it reliable with routes and times?

Old 10-12-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:

About the city pass. I have debated that it would not be worth it for the amount of time we are going to be there.
However I know for sure *I* want to do the Hancock observatory, MSI, and the planetarium. I think the dinosaur exhibit at the field would be interesting to the kids. And the navy pier is open after 5 pm and has fireworks again after hours for the museums close So that is 4 out 5. And the fast pass seems to be a nice perk. So although I won't use it to it's full potential I think if I purchase the must see for me I would be paying the same price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago