Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:07 PM

68 posts, read 120,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I suggest you immediately buy a ticket to Milan Italy -- world headquarters of Luxotica, the global leader in fashion eye wear. If you don't have the money go sell some plasma or maybe a kidney. Cripes, why do you think you were born with two of them?

A flight on British Airways is only $632 round trip, well worth it to be five years ahead of us pathetic hayseeds.

If you really what to big ball it fly first class on Italia, it's only a few grand and with the sleeper class service and imported Italian wine it'll help your kidney scar heal.

Are you a chick, or do you know a chick who'd donate an egg for you? $5000 would pay for a trip to Tokyo and Milan and Prague, surely you would not care about having some infertile couple raise your genetic offspring as their own if you could have some eyewear that looks like you used a flux capacitor to travel back in time to treat us rubes with the joys of world beyond our neanderthal comprehension. Think of all the pick up opportunities you'll have between now and 2016. Just imagining it makes my gentials ache...
Luxxotica is Lens Crafters. I doubt anyone would to Milan for that. But fron what the OP is asking you do need to go abroad. Because many new styles and fragrances take a year or 2 to come to the US at all. If you could find them in the US you have to find a black market importer in the US and its much more likely in NYC. I'm just going by what the OP wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Luxxotica is not really trendy. Plenty of old farts like myself have worn them. I'd say go to See on Armitage. My son would not step a foot into Lenscrafters....not cutting edge enough. So we went to See. Glasses were four hundred dollars and make him look like Jerry Lewis in the Nutty Professor but that is what the young people are wearing now.
SEE isn't bad at all, but not really in cycle with European trends though and that's what the OP wanted. Personally I would get frames at SEE, I'm not that consumed with vanity.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,545,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvt10 View Post
Seriously catch a flight to NYC or London or Paris. If you don't want midwest stuff. Don't ever forget where you are.
Oh please. I spent several days this winter trolling optical stores along the east coast (NYC, Philly, and DC), and ended up just ordering a pair of Belgian frames that I'd seen at Eye Want in Wicker Park. I'm personally loyal to Eye Spy on Lincoln, in West Lakeview; in fact, I have a few referral coupons somewhere around here.

I know that the staff of Eye Spy regularly travel to the eyewear shows in Europe and certainly carry the same frames that you'll see at boutiques there. My last pair was a set that I'd first seen in the manufacturer's shop window in the Marais -- but it was August in Paris and they were off to the beach. Once I got back to the States, Eye Spy had them in their window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I suggest you immediately buy a ticket to Milan Italy -- world headquarters of Luxotica
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADASGIRL View Post
They arent priced so high as GUCCI, ARMANI etc
Strange but true: Luxxotica owns LensCrafters and makes the Armani-branded eyeglasses. It's the Hydra of mass optical retailing.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 PM

225 posts, read 755,684 times
I think Chicago a worldly-enough of a city to get eyewear without having to fly to New York or London. There seem to be places in Chi-town to get what I'm looking for. I don't need the sarcastic replies, just the serious ones, thank you. All serious replies with suggestions of good places are welcome!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Oh please. I spent several days this winter trolling optical stores along the east coast (NYC, Philly, and DC), and ended up just ordering a pair of Belgian frames that I'd seen at Eye Want in Wicker Park. I'm personally loyal to Eye Spy on Lincoln, in West Lakeview; in fact, I have a few referral coupons somewhere around here.

I know that the staff of Eye Spy regularly travel to the eyewear shows in Europe and certainly carry the same frames that you'll see at boutiques there. My last pair was a set that I'd first seen in the manufacturer's shop window in the Marais -- but it was August in Paris and they were off to the beach. Once I got back to the States, Eye Spy had them in their window.

Strange but true: Luxxotica owns LensCrafters and makes the Armani-branded eyeglasses. It's the Hydra of mass optical retailing.
Not going to lie, that place looks great. Some great lines some with and without wide distribution. At least I know where to buy glasses here now.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 AM

Another cool option is Quality Optical in Lincoln Square. They have actual vintage frames in stock, instead of the faux-vintage you'll find elsewhere. (Most don't work for my face, but some friends of mine have gotten interesting frames there.)

Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Another cool option is Quality Optical in Lincoln Square. They have actual vintage frames in stock, instead of the faux-vintage you'll find elsewhere. (Most don't work for my face, but some friends of mine have gotten interesting frames there.)
I think that place is closed. I could be wrong though.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 PM

22 posts, read 41,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brssplr View Post
I've asked this in the Fashion forum, but thought I might have some replies if I posted it here too. What optical place in downtown Chicago is considered to carry the most avant guarde, cutting edge fashions of eyewear? I'm looking for the fashions that are currently being imported from Europe or Asia, not the stuff that "everybody's wearing" here in the midwest. I'm looking for a reputable place that caters to those who want to be five years or more ahead of most people in the midwest.
Hey girlfriend, I advise you to look at Custom Eyes.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 PM

225 posts, read 755,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADASGIRL View Post
What you may have to do is start with the designer 1st & then seek out the retailer. I prefer a brand called Kliik - you wont find them in many places here in the midwest. KLIIK

They arent priced so high as GUCCI, ARMANI etc - but they have great colors & styles. check the website THEN google them. Plenty of online optical online stores carry them & are CHEAPER than any brick & mortar store. The online stores will introduce you to sooooo many designers that you may end up ordering several pairs online just to try on. Some also have a application that allows you to upload a photo so you can try them on.

The downside is of course this: Even if you know your face/frame size, it doesnt guarantee that the frame will compliment you nicely. Plus alot of the frames come in varying colors so then you have to figure out which color best suits you.You could spend alot of time and postage going through a trial & error phase with the online option - BUT it is sooooo worth it. Give the brick & mortar stores a break b/c it costs money to house/offer these designer frames and there is no real gurantee that folks will respond simply b/c the frame is cool looking.

Start here if interested: Designer Sunglasses - Designer Eyeglasses | BestBuyEyeglasses.com or glasses, prescription glasses, designer glasses at All designer glasses

If you see a brand you like - try the brand homepage & maybe they can point you in the direction of a shop that carries them. Also - ihere in the burbs we have a chain called "Eye Boutique" that carries most of these cutting edge frames.
Thank you for the detailed information! I am partial to ProDesign, which is based in Denmark. I'm not dead-set on them, but have liked them in the past. I will check and see who has them in the Loop.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:58 PM

For ProDesign DK downtown, I think they're at Eyelines (Clark & Monroe) and the Pearle at the Wrigley Building (but only that Pearle!). You can also email ProDesign and ask for their retailer list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago