Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,893,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
El Tapatio. Very good al pastor.
Agreed.

And this place is Guatemalan, but we love it:

El Tinajon - Roscoe Village - Chicago, IL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 AM

172 posts, read 438,805 times
I agree with the others that El Tapatio is good (plus good margaritas). Los Nopales is one of the best mexican restaurants in the city for the price. I have been to the famous Frontera Grill and though Los Nopales was 100 times better. The only thing about Los Nopales is that they are BYOB but I think they will make margaritas for you if you provide the tequila. El Tinajon is good for Guatemalan.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,303,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcobd View Post
Anyone know of a great, authentic-ish Mexican place in the Lakeview area with simple, non-greasy food?
When I think of authentic Mexican food, Lakeview doesn't come to mind. That's like a gay techno club in Canaryville. The best authentic Mexican food is found nowhere near Lakeview. Try Little Village or Pilsen. You can throw a rock in those neighborhoods and hit a place that servces decent authentic Mexican food

Old 05-21-2012, 04:01 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,183,806 times
Since the OP seemed to be looking for at least somewhat Americanized Mexican food and margaritas, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Cesars. I mean, I know it's not super-authentic, but it's never been overly greasy when I've eaten there, and they do have good margaritas. I'd be willing to guess the OP would like it pretty well.

I agree that all of the best Mexican places are outside Lakeview, but when I lived in Lakeview and I wanted some Mexican-ish food and margaritas, Cesars was a common stopping place.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,579,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcobd View Post
Simple question: there's this Mexican restaurant in Milwaukee that my girlfriend and I adore (Conejito's), but we've been unable to find anything that even comes close here in Chicago.

Their food is very simple and straightforward. Soft tortilla tacos with steak meat, lettuce, and tomatoes; refried beans; chicken enchiladas. Stuff of that nature. It's also never dripping in grease, like much of the Mexican food we've come across down here.

Anyone know of a great, authentic-ish Mexican place in the Lakeview area with simple, non-greasy food?

(Bonus points if they have awesome margaritas!)
what you described sounds far from authentic homestyle

Old 05-22-2012, 12:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,280,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Since the OP seemed to be looking for at least somewhat Americanized Mexican food and margaritas, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Cesars.
Just the thought of that place makes my stomach churn.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:18 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,416,428 times
Surprised the Mexican place down the street from the Holiday Club wasn't mentioned. It's on the east side of Sheridan just south of Irving Park but north of the el stop there. Green awning out front, but I don't remember the name. Google street view it.

They had things like Goat Barbacoa, so I wouldn't call the place Americanized.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,183,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Surprised the Mexican place down the street from the Holiday Club wasn't mentioned. It's on the east side of Sheridan just south of Irving Park but north of the el stop there. Green awning out front, but I don't remember the name. Google street view it.

They had things like Goat Barbacoa, so I wouldn't call the place Americanized.
I like that place, too, although I'd technically consider it to be outside of Lakeview since it's north of Irving Park. But I've had some very good food there, and it's easy to get to via transit, so it's a great suggestion.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 AM

203 posts, read 386,697 times
The two authentic options I can think of in the neighborhood are both near the Sheridan stop on the Red line:

* El Palmar, on the 1000 block of Irving Park Road (west of Sheridan), on the north side of the street. (emathias, was this the place you were thinking of?)
* Los Caminos de Michoacan, on the 3900 block of Sheridan Road (south of Irving Park), just outside the L entrance. (This may be the place Chicago76 mentioned, although it's on the west side of the street).

Unfortunately, both are somewhat greasy but not excessively so.

In my experience as a former resident, the more well-known areas of Lakeview just aren't the places to look for authenticity. Authenticity starts to become more prevalent around Irving Park Road (and areas farther north) and around Southport (and areas farther west).

Last edited by IAmEverywhere; 05-22-2012 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Added details

Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,715,038 times
The OP is not asking for authentic. They want americanized mexican with a good margarita. How about that place on Clark south of Wrigley a few blocks. It's north of Belmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago